ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 2991
« First < 45678 910111218581085081008 > Last »
The Dumbass Lounge>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
penguinz 06:20 PM 02-28-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:

Coronavirus is new to humans.
Not true. SARS and MERS were types of coronavirus.
[Reply]
007 06:26 PM 02-28-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
You're making too much sense. I'm going to have to ask you to panic and post irrationally from here on out.
:-)
[Reply]
DanT 06:35 PM 02-28-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Also - why is this story getting no attention? Seems pretty significant unless I'm missing something.

https://www.i24news.tv/en/news/israe...avirus-vaccine
This article by Dr. James Hamblin helps explain. There are already vaccines under development. It's good that there are more potential ones, but vaccines have to go through extensive testing before we know they work. You'll notice in the article you cited that it says that the team there in Israel is working to enable preclinical testing. That testing takes place before testing in humans. The testing in humans is what ultimately matters. The scientific and regulatory world is trying to accelerate the process, but it still will take a few months, at best.
[Reply]
DanT 06:41 PM 02-28-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
As I understand it, the issue isn't developing the vaccine (though I don't mean to imply that that's negligible). It's all the stuff that has to happen after that. It has to go through the trial phase to make sure it doesn't cause more harm than good, then they have to mass produce it and distribute it.

Most of the estimates I've seen have suggested early 2021 is a reasonable timeline for mass availability.

Exactly right.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 06:44 PM 02-28-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
The issue with those stats is that they only cover the percent of people who were SEEN AND TREATED. It's been reported that this thing can be carried by people showing no symptoms or only mild symptoms, and it's likely that those kinds of cases actually make up the vast majority of people "infected."

The real death rate is almost certainly well below 1%, and it might be more like 0.00001%, especially once we start including areas where the medical response is prepared and better equipped than rural China.
If this is a super charged cousin of the Spanish flu that killed 20 million we could be in for a rough ride. Sure, that many died because there wasn't antibiotics and information on how virus's are transferred. But....


Historians say that at least 200K would have died because of the 10 day incubation period when the infected are asymptomatic. Mostly due to the rural places humans lived in that era. They knew to isolate the sick but the 10 day incubation period was too much for them to overcome in that era.



With modern medicine and IV antibiotics any previously healthy person shouldn't die in America from this disease that seeks immediate help. But people wait to long to go to a doctor or hospital, with the long incubation period of this virus that may exacerbate their stupid decisions to wait.



At least once every two weeks we had someone come into the ER who was septic(virus was in the blood) because they waited to long, We were able to save about 1/2. Jim Henson, founder of the Muppets died because he waited too long.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 06:53 PM 02-28-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
There was plenty of hype, sure.

Swine flu had a low fatality rate.

SARS and MERS had a much higher fatality rate but they werenít very infectious. So the world succeeded in isolating enough patients for the disease to fade out without going pandemic.

Corona virus looks infectious enough that it will most likely go pandemic.

The quarantines can slow it down but they wonít stamp it out. The real questions are probably:

How long before it is in general circulation like the current flu strains?

What is the fatality rate for the general population?
My son, five at the time, got H1N1. It was unlike anything Iíve ever seen. Most powerless Iíve ever felt to help my son.
[Reply]
TLO 06:55 PM 02-28-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
If this is a super charged cousin of the Spanish flu that killed 20 million we could be in for a rough ride. Sure, that many died because there wasn't antibiotics and information on how virus's are transferred. But....


Historians say that at least 200K would have died because of the 10 day incubation period when the infected are asymptomatic. Mostly due to the rural places humans lived in that era. They knew to isolate the sick but the 10 day incubation period was too much for them to overcome in that era.



With modern medicine and IV antibiotics any previously healthy person shouldn't die in America from this disease that seeks immediate help. But people wait to long to go to a doctor or hospital, with the long incubation period of this virus that may exacerbate their stupid decisions to wait.



At least once every two weeks we had someone come into the ER who was septic(virus was in the blood) because they waited to long, We were able to save about 1/2. Jim Henson, founder of the Muppets died because he waited too long.
I don't think you understand that antibiotics don't do anything for viruses. I've seen you post stuff about antibiotics and viruses a few times now.
[Reply]
DaFace 07:15 PM 02-28-2020
Damn. CDC just raised Italy to Level 3 (don't travel for nonessential reasons). I have a trip booked there this summer, so I hope they get things under control by then.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:28 PM 02-28-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
I don't think you understand that antibiotics don't do anything for viruses. I've seen you post stuff about antibiotics and viruses a few times now.
It doesn't effect the virus, its the side effects that it works on that kill us. The virus doesn't kill you, the effects from the virus can kill you.

Come on man why even put anyone in the hospital, have them go see a doctor? Its a virus, nothing we can do, your going to die or not die anyway, right?:-)
[Reply]
TLO 08:09 PM 02-28-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
It doesn't effect the virus, its the side effects that it works on that kill us. The virus doesn't kill you, the effects from the virus can kill you.

Come on man why even put anyone in the hospital, have them go see a doctor? Its a virus, nothing we can do, your going to die or not die anyway, right?:-)




[Reply]
007 08:16 PM 02-28-2020
Truth
[Reply]
suzzer99 08:18 PM 02-28-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
But that's the whole issue - it's a low probability event that is getting a HUGE amount of media attention and is now bordering on causing mass hysteria. There's a chance we'll get hit by a massive asteroid in the next year and all of humanity will be wiped out. Don't think I'll change my vacation plans just yet, though.
You might feel different if you were 80 years old or immunocompromised. This is a very real threat for some groups. My 79-year-old Dad is a little concerned.
[Reply]
TLO 08:24 PM 02-28-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
You might feel different if you were 80 years old or immunocompromised. This is a very real threat for some groups. My 79-year-old Dad is a little concerned.
I agree fully. I think I've stated this elsewhere, but my main concern is this spreading in places like nursing homes and the like.
[Reply]
KCUnited 08:24 PM 02-28-2020
Wash your coats, bitch
[Reply]
Superturtle 08:41 PM 02-28-2020
.
Attached: FB_IMG_1582943682193.jpg (80.7 KB) 
[Reply]
Page 8 of 2991
« First < 45678 910111218581085081008 > Last »
Up