ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 5
< 12345
Nzoner's Game Room>Do You Shop at Thrift Stores?
gblowfish 10:07 AM 04-18-2021
We have several here in Independence. A couple have a bunch of old antique stuff that looks like all the crap in your great grandmama's house. I've found some cool old LP records, old blues and lounge stuff like Dean Martin and Louis Prima. The things I look for most are kitchen stuff like pots and pans, glassware (especially bar glasses like beer pint glasses, wine glasses and martini glasses) and gadgets like a garlic press. Electronics I like old radios. I just bought a Craig AM/FM/Ipod tabletop set for $5. It works, but it has a broken antenna, Replacing the antenna and buying some contact cleaner to clean up the switches inside will cost more than the entire radio! I got a red copper non stick skillet for $6. They're still sold on Amazon, and brand new it's $25. How bout you? Got a good deal on anything recently?

https://www.cnet.com/products/craig-...e-dock-cradle/
[Reply]
stevieray 01:36 PM 04-19-2021
LPs
Jeans
Vintage Snap shirts
Big frames (huge savings)
Vintage Electronics.
[Reply]
eDave 01:43 PM 04-19-2021
Unless I'm putting together some sort of Halloween or theme party costume, I don't. I'll stop by goodwill if I am near one doing something else and look for candles. I like to burn candles.
[Reply]
penguinz 01:59 PM 04-19-2021
I have been to the Red Racks here in Lee's Summit once. Smelled disgusting and will never go back.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 02:13 PM 04-19-2021
Originally Posted by srvy:
Very seldom check out thrift stores anymore. Seeing so many chain thrift stores anymore no buy to be had there.

On total rainout days we would hit many spots around town. Our favorites were freight salvage on Noland Rd. Riverside had Sal's at NE corner of 9 and 69 highway in Riverside, Any of the Goodwill or DAV were good. My best ever finds were a Vintage Sansui 8080 DB receiver and a pair of Advent 3 speaks. My brother is the caretaker of both now as apace limitations came into play. The receiver needed a complete cleaning and new power cord still working like a charm. The speakers had to have the surrounds replaced but my brother did all that they still sound sweet.
Who remembers when CargoLargo was RSO and the 'showroom' was just the little square room [that's not even walled off anymore] at the south entrance doors, about the size of a fast-food lobby. Basically where the first two lanes of checkout are now.

Also, anyone been to 'Bargain Factory' in the northland somewhere? We used to shop it when it was in Grandview [old Lloyd's of London depot that funded Loch Lloyd]. But they failed when they moved into the KMart and packed up for the northland. Guy that ran it was the same guy who started RSO-->CargoLargo.
[Reply]
srvy 02:45 PM 04-19-2021
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Who remembers when CargoLargo was RSO and the 'showroom' was just the little square room [that's not even walled off anymore] at the south entrance doors, about the size of a fast-food lobby. Basically where the first two lanes of checkout are now.

Also, anyone been to 'Bargain Factory' in the northland somewhere? We used to shop it when it was in Grandview [old Lloyd's of London depot that funded Loch Lloyd]. But they failed when they moved into the KMart and packed up for the northland. Guy that ran it was the same guy who started RSO-->CargoLargo.
Dont know where it is in the Northland but I have seen a Bargain Factory near the National Cemetary in Leavenworth while working near there.
[Reply]
srvy 02:47 PM 04-19-2021
Originally Posted by penguinz:
I have been to the Red Racks here in Lee's Summit once. Smelled disgusting and will never go back.
Smells like Burlington Coat Factory. Mildew and Mothballs.
[Reply]
philfree 03:09 PM 04-19-2021
I don't do thrift stores, buffets or cheap Tequila. I think that covers it.
[Reply]
burt 08:12 AM 04-20-2021
Originally Posted by philfree:
I don't do thrift stores, buffets or cheap Tequila. I think that covers it.
We can't ever be friends! Even tho I gave you that cheer leader sig!!!

thrift stores, Yes
buffets Yes, before covid
cheap Tequila. I LOVE cheap tequila!!!
[Reply]
oldman 08:34 AM 04-20-2021
My BIL owned a salavge place in the 80-90s in the Bottoms. He once bought a couple of boxes of unused T-shirts from a sporting event. Perhaps the reason that they were unused was the placement of the logo, Topeka Invitational Tournament. It was where a pocket would be on a golf shirt.
[Reply]
olout 10-22-2021, 07:17 AM
This message has been deleted by DaFace. Reason: spam
gblowfish 08:38 AM 10-22-2021
There's a little open box store across from The Little BBQ Joint near US 24 and River in Independence. They have a real mixed bag of stuff. I got a Black & Decker weed whacker/edge trimmer for $5. It was missing the battery, but I had about four of them at home. Put in a battery and it fired right up. Score!
[Reply]
Page 5 of 5
< 12345
Up