ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Mock 4/15/21
kccrow 12:53 AM 04-15-2021
This may very well end up being my "What I Want Mock" as a 2021 edition but I'm very much looking for some input this go-around as it's been a tough year to put a pulse on the "where" prospects should fall. Boards are all over the place and I'm going more on personal thoughts than not here.

So here goes...

1-31 | DE Joe Tryon, Washington (6'5" 259)
Long, athletic defensive end that flashes elite movement skills on tape. Shows good power and speed to make it difficult on offensive tackles and shows adequate but not elite bend on the arc. Has long arms, big hands and good grip that he can use to his advantage to keep blockers off his frame and to take down opponents trying to get outside his area. Outstanding quickness off the snap to immediately gain an advantage. Ultra-competitive and energetic player. Needs to learn to process better and to set up a rush plan, but has all of the tools. Also needs to learn to better convert speed to power.

My take: The Chiefs need to be able to better generate consistent pressure from their front four rather than executing exotic blitzes with defensive backs on the regular. Tryon is one of my personal favorites in this draft with his get-off at the snap, which is the number one thing I look for in any defensive lineman followed closely by length. What Tryon lacks is entirely coachable, and from all accounts he takes well to it. The Chiefs snag a pillar position in round 1, which should be the goal.

No LT? I have the Chiefs waiting on a tackle prospect, which means the likely signing of a stop-gap player at the position for 2021. Russell Okung certainly is a valid option, but the Chiefs and other teams may be waiting to see how the draft goes down before making a commitment. I also don't entirely discount the possibility that Lucas Niang can be the Chiefs' future LT. All that put together, I don't know that I push the process early unless I get a deal on a good landing spot for Darrisaw.

2-56 | WR Dyami Brown, North Carolina (6'1" 189)
KC trades 2-63, 4-136 to SEA for 2-56
Big-play X receiver with over 20 yards per reception in each of the last two seasons in the ACC. Has great acceleration off the line and through his route to keep defenders off in coverage. Good with double-moves and subtle foot jabs to set up defenders and leave them in his wake. Good at tracking the deep ball and catching with his hands but can lack focus at times that can lead to drops. Needs to learn the nuances to consistently beat the press, which may be the primary factor keeping him out of first-round consideration. Already a solid route runner, but with NFL coaching could become one of the premier route-runners in the NFL. Shows Stefon Diggs-like potential in a similar body.

My take: The Chiefs have to invest in the receiver position sooner than later, and probably should have done so in 2020. I was really high on Stefon Diggs coming out and I see Brown as a similar receiver that may be even more polished as a prospect. You have to continually keep Patrick and this offense stacked with weapons. I don't think Brown lasts quite to 63, so I have the Chiefs getting ahead of the Rams and Packers that routinely snag their wideouts in the 2nd by trading with the Seahawks.

3-78 | OT Spencer Brown, Northern Iowa (6'8" 311)
KC trades 3-94, 4-144, 5-181 to MIN for 3-78
A massive lineman with insane height and arm length to go with an elite athletic profile. One of the best pure movers I've ever seen on the edge, which definitely shows his background as a tight end. Shows outstanding foot quickness, setting himself up well to mirror on the edge and around the arc. His length makes it difficult for defenders to get around the outside, so he just needs to learn the patience to maintain control against inside counters. Shows solid ability in the run game for his size and adequate ability to reach and engage at the second level. Needs to continue his Senior Bowl development with hand-placement and pad level to become a more consistent player. Has worked with former NFL left tackle Joe Staley and has practiced at LT despite playing RT exclusively at Northern Iowa. Has some knee issues in his past, but nothing in the past 4 years. If he can put together the consistent technique on a down-to-down basis, he shows more than elite athleticism to play LT in the NFL and compares favorably to players like Kolton Miller and Nate Solder, both of whom have performed well in the NFL.

My take: It's a foregone conclusion that the Chiefs have to invest at the tackle position early in this draft, but I've come to the realization that I don't want them to rush it for the sake of getting one. I don't feel there is a substantial difference in prospects from Cosmi to Radunz to Brown, who may be available to KC in each of rounds 1 to 3 respectively. I have the Chiefs going up ahead of the Patriots to snag a Solder clone in Brown and I'm absolutely enamored with the raw athletic specimen on tape. The question may be, do I have him too low?

5-175 | LB Buddy Johnson, Texas A&M (6'1" 229)
Another high-energy, athletic player with the range to get to the sidelines. A leader on the field with the ability to line up the defense. Shows quick reactions and triggers downhill quickly. Works through traffic and around blockers to get into the backfield and disrupt. Fluid mover in space and shows adequate speed to stay with backs and tight ends in man coverage. Physical tackler with some violence. Needs to develop better vision, route anticipation, and depth against the pass in the NFL, which may keep him from seeing the field often right out of the gate and limit him to short-yardage situations until he's ready. Significant upside on special teams while he develops.

My take: I have the Chiefs trading a lot of capital in the middle of this draft to move up and get players of need on day 2. That said, I think the one position they are in desperate need of injecting more talent at on day 3 is LB. I really like Buddy Johnson as a developmental prospect. With Sorensen back in the fold, there's a little less pressure to have a 3rd LB. I see Johnson as a fit at any of the three spots and his ability to play in coverage may ultimately decide his placement... and fate.

6-207 | RB Nate McCrary, Saginaw Valley State (6'0" 213)
Home-area hero. Outstanding runner in his league with light, twitchy feet and outstanding later agility that allow him to change direction and execute cutbacks with extreme efficiency. Shows legit 4.40 speed on the field with the ability to gain the edge and take it the distance, outpacing defensive backs. Has good size with the ability to run with enough power to gain short-yardage, and proved it at his pro day with a 36" vertical and 10'5" broad jumps. Has solid hands in the passing game and adequate awareness as a pass blocker to be used as a 3rd down back sooner than later. Shows good patience and vision, allowing his blocks to develop before bursting through the hole. Could run with a bit wider base, which exposes him to easier tackles than his body type would indicate. Frame doesn't look maxed out, could pack on another 10-15 pounds in the NFL.

My take: I'm not long for Darrell Williams as the #2 guy and I absolutely think Darwin Thompson should be cut and replaced with just about any RB with a pulse. That said, I'm stuck on the ability I've seen from the hometown kid, I feel like he's a guy you can develop to be a pretty solid, if not spectacular back. I think this is a kid that can give you immediate value in a variety of ways, both in the offensive game plan and on special teams.

No CB in the draft? No problem. Veach is a master of picking up value FAs and it's not an immediate need. I feel like the bottom falls out at the position after round 3, and no matter how much I like a few corners, such as Paulson Abedo and Ambry Thomas, I just can't pull the trigger over the positions I did here.

Roster
QB: P. Mahomes, C. Henne
RB: C. Edwards-Helaire, Dar. Williams, N. McCrary

WR: T. Hill, D. Brown, M. Hardman, D. Robinson, B. Pringle, A. Calloway
TE: T. Kelce, N. Keizer, B. Bell

LT: S. Brown, M. Rankin, P. Tega Wanogho
LG: J. Thuney, Y. Durant
OC: A. Blythe, N. Allegretti
RG: L. Duvernay-Tardif, K. Long
RT: M. Remmers, L. Niang

DE: F. Clark, M. Danna
DT: C. Jones, T. Wharton
DT: D. Nnadi, J. Reed, K. Saunders
DE: J. Tryon, T. Charlton

SLB: W. Gay, D. Harris
ILB: A. Hitchens, E. Smith
WLB: B. Niemann, B. Johnson, D. O'Daniel

CB: C. Ward, L. Sneed, R. Fenton, T. Keyes, D. Baker
S: T. Mathieu, J. Thornhill, D. Sorensen, A. Watts, R. Clemons

K: Butker
P: Townsend
LS: Winchester
[Reply]
CatfishBob2 05:29 PM 04-17-2021
I doubt he makes it past the second. The more of these mocks I see I'm starting to develop a draft crush trio.

Tryon/Turner
Spencer Brown
Dyami Brown
[Reply]
MatriculatingHank 12:22 PM 04-18-2021
Won't happen. No SEC players listed
[Reply]
kccrow 12:48 PM 04-18-2021
Originally Posted by MatriculatingHank:
Won't happen. No SEC players listed
Last I checked, Texas A&M was in the SEC. :P
[Reply]
Stryker 08:30 PM 04-18-2021
Don't know if this Q Because so much info flying around the forum.

NFL mock draft 2021: Mel Kiper's new two-round predictions for top 64 picks, including two trades, six QBs and needs filled

31. Kansas City Chiefs
Jayson Oweh, OLB, Penn State

It has to be offensive tackle or edge rusher for the Chiefs here, right? The Super Bowl loss showed off some major weaknesses, even if this roster is still one of the league's best. Oweh is an interesting case because his coaches raved about his athletic traits, and he just ran a 4.36 40-yard dash at 257 pounds. That's unbelievable. Sacks aren't everything, but he didn't have any last season, and Oweh could be the first FBS defensive lineman since Dominique Easley (2014) to be selected in the first two rounds after not recording a sack in his final collegiate season, according to ESPN Stats & Info. Scouts rave about his upside, but I still would have liked more production.

63. Kansas City Chiefs
Walker Little, OT, Stanford

I've been watching Little closely since he started at left tackle as a true freshman in 2017. He looked like a first-round lock after the 2018 season. Then he injured his knee in the season opener in 2019, missed all of that season and opted out of last season, which means he hasn't been on the field much. For Kansas City, this is a pick all about projection, as Little has the frame (6-foot-7) and footwork to be a future starter at tackle. Still, because he hasn't played much since 2018, it's tough to project his future.
[Reply]
In58men 08:46 PM 04-18-2021
Yes it was posted, but I would still like those picks.
[Reply]
Stryker 08:54 PM 04-18-2021
Originally Posted by In58men:
Yes it was posted, but I would still like those picks.
Thanks, like I said, in this forum so much info flying around it is hard to keep up. Just want to contribute where I can.
[Reply]
In58men 09:12 PM 04-18-2021
Originally Posted by Stryker:
Thanks, like I said, in this forum so much info flying around it is hard to keep up. Just want to contribute where I can.
It’s appreciated.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 06:37 AM 04-19-2021
I like this a lot, but shit ill be sweating bullets waiting on a tackle.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up