ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 13
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Media Center>Gaming Computer Build
Rukdafaidas 09:35 AM 01-28-2021
As mentioned in the video card thread, my son is getting ready to build his first computer. He has an online buddy that he games with that builds his own PC's and he has given him a list of components that he recommended he use. He's spending his own money on this and I wanted to make sure he gets good components and that they're compatible.

Component List:
Ryzen 5 5600
MSI Geforce 3060 TI TRIO 8GB
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus ATX AM4 motherboard
G SKill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2x8GB) DDR 3600 CL18 memory
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal HD
Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB M.2-2280 EVME SSD
Fractal Design Ion+ 560W 80+ ATX Power Supply

Does this look like a good setup? Any concerns or ideas? He mostly plays CS:GO and I realize this gaming card is probably overkill for that game, but he also plays wants to play games that require a better GPU. He basically wants to build a system that will play any game that's currently out there. He also wants something that can be easily upgraded in the future, when needed.

We haven't begun to look at cases or monitors. I think the case will depend on which graphics card we end up finding. I know the MSI Trio that was suggested is huge, but we can get a smaller case if we get a 2 fan version. Any suggestions on monitors as far as hertz and resolution? He doesn't need anything very big, he's going to be sitting right in front of it.
[Reply]
Pants 09:09 PM 03-09-2021
Originally Posted by vailpass:
I’m building my son’s pc right now. Going to install the AIO tomorrow. My first time using AIO. So I guess I don’t have anything that would be of help right now but I’ll know more tomorrow about what the install is like.
It's definitely a little more work to install (some cases make it easier than others) but it's one of those things... you only have to do it once so not a biggie.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:52 PM 03-09-2021
Originally Posted by vailpass:
I’m building my son’s pc right now. Going to install the AIO tomorrow. My first time using AIO. So I guess I don’t have anything that would be of help right now but I’ll know more tomorrow about what the install is like.
Originally Posted by Pants:
Can't go wrong with either. They have air coolers now that are just as good or better than AIO water coolers at keeping your CPU temps down. I would say the biggest drawback of air coolers is the dust and the biggest drawback of AIO is that the pump will lose efficiency over time and eventually fail.

Currently, my rig has an AIO because it looks nice. :-)
Thanks, Dudes!

After spending hours trying to find a low profile fan suitable for the i9-10900k, I'm going to take Fish's excellent advice and just buy a tower that will fit on a rack shelf, which shouldn't be difficult to find.

I don't know what's happened since my last computer build in 2015 but back then, finding aftermarket cooling fans that could fit in a server case wasn't even an issue but I suspect it has something to due with the heat generated by this latest generation of chip.
[Reply]
vailpass 10:09 PM 03-09-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Thanks, Dudes!

After spending hours trying to find a low profile fan suitable for the i9-10900k, I'm going to take Fish's excellent advice and just buy a tower that will fit on a rack shelf, which shouldn't be difficult to find.

I don't know what's happened since my last computer build in 2015 but back then, finding aftermarket cooling fans that could fit in a server case wasn't even an issue but I suspect it has something to due with the heat generated by this latest generation of chip.
Sounds like a nice custom rig you have going. It’s cool to see how you are adapting it for your needs.
[Reply]
Fish 10:43 PM 03-09-2021
Thanks, Dudes!

I think that will be the best solution really. Trying to make that build fit in a normal rack case would likely create lots of issues. Plus you can get a nice ATX case with glass panel and show off your fancy silicon...

Regarding i9-10900K vs i9-10850K, I don't think it really makes any difference. They are exactly identical CPUs. The only difference is 0.1 Ghz difference in max Turbo boost. That's not going to result in any discernable thermal difference over time. Especially with decent airflow and cooling.

I'm not a fan of AIO at all. Overpriced and unnecessary. I think you can get ~95% as good of temps with a reasonably priced air cooler. Especially if you use quality thermal paste and apply it correctly. AIO failure can be pretty catastrophic too compared to normal air cooled CPU fan. But it sure looks cool.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:49 PM 03-10-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
I think that will be the best solution really. Trying to make that build fit in a normal rack case would likely create lots of issues. Plus you can get a nice ATX case with glass panel and show off your fancy silicon...

Regarding i9-10900K vs i9-10850K, I don't think it really makes any difference. They are exactly identical CPUs. The only difference is 0.1 Ghz difference in max Turbo boost. That's not going to result in any discernable thermal difference over time. Especially with decent airflow and cooling.

I'm not a fan of AIO at all. Overpriced and unnecessary. I think you can get ~95% as good of temps with a reasonably priced air cooler. Especially if you use quality thermal paste and apply it correctly. AIO failure can be pretty catastrophic too compared to normal air cooled CPU fan. But it sure looks cool.
Awesome! Thanks for the info!

Yeah, the guys on the pro audio forums are stating the same thing about the 10850k vs. 10900k, so I'll just go that route. The recommended cooling fan is the Noctua D15s, which will definitely fit in a normal ATX case.

Speaking of cases, all I need is a quiet mid-tower. I don't require glass or anything similar since it will be racked up and not visible. I see lots of Fractal Designs recommendations but in doing some research, the BeQuiet! Pure Base 500DX and 600 appear that they'd fit the bill, as does the Corsair 4000D.

Does anyone have any other quiet case recommendations or cases to avoid?

Thanks again, guys!
[Reply]
Fish 11:22 PM 03-10-2021
Awesome! Thanks for the info!

Yeah, the guys on the pro audio forums are stating the same thing about the 10850k vs. 10900k, so I'll just go that route. The recommended cooling fan is the Noctua D15s, which will definitely fit in a normal ATX case.

Speaking of cases, all I need is a quiet mid-tower. I don't require glass or anything similar since it will be racked up and not visible. I see lots of Fractal Designs recommendations but in doing some research, the BeQuiet! Pure Base 500DX and 600 appear that they'd fit the bill, as does the Corsair 4000D.

Does anyone have any other quiet case recommendations or cases to avoid?

Thanks again, guys!
The quietness factor has much more to do with what case fans you have, as opposed to what case you have. Most case fans worth a shit will have dB rating listed with the fan. The good ones will also have a CFM rating, which tells you the volume of air it moves(cubic ft/min). The BeQuiet! case you mention above is only recommended because it has pre-installed BeQuiet! fans that are made for that purpose. But for your situation, you could buy just about any cheap case that has adequate fan space and ventalation, and add a bunch of quality low decibel high CFM fans.

I would just look for a decent cheap full ATX case that allows for ~6 120mm case fans, and spend your money on 6 low decibel high CFM case fans(ideally 3 front, 2 top, and 1 rear fan). The Noctuas are some of the best in both regards for low noise and high CFM. But you have to find a balance. I would highly recommend the mesh type cases as that increases the overall airflow quite a bit. Just get a solid one. If you do order your fans separately, be sure to install them with the airflow intended to pull air in from the front, and push air out the back and top.
[Reply]
Fish 11:52 PM 03-10-2021
Best PC Fans 2021: The Strongest and Quietest Case Fans for Your Gaming PC

Fans come in multiple sizes. 120mm is the most common, but they also come in 80/140/200/etc. The case you choose should indicate exactly what case fans are compatible in the front/top/back.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:13 PM 03-11-2021
The quietness factor has much more to do with what case fans you have, as opposed to what case you have. Most case fans worth a shit will have dB rating listed with the fan. The good ones will also have a CFM rating, which tells you the volume of air it moves(cubic ft/min). The BeQuiet! case you mention above is only recommended because it has pre-installed BeQuiet! fans that are made for that purpose. But for your situation, you could buy just about any cheap case that has adequate fan space and ventalation, and add a bunch of quality low decibel high CFM fans.

I would just look for a decent cheap full ATX case that allows for ~6 120mm case fans, and spend your money on 6 low decibel high CFM case fans(ideally 3 front, 2 top, and 1 rear fan). The Noctuas are some of the best in both regards for low noise and high CFM. But you have to find a balance. I would highly recommend the mesh type cases as that increases the overall airflow quite a bit. Just get a solid one. If you do order your fans separately, be sure to install them with the airflow intended to pull air in from the front, and push air out the back and top.
Thanks again for the info!

I guess these new chips run super hot because I have only one fan in my current server case and I've never had any issues with it overheating, even thought it's on generally 12 hours per day, 7 days per week.

I'll definitely look for a mesh case, which in I'll be placing that side up on a rack shelf and I'll order as many fans as the case will allow.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:32 PM 03-11-2021
Best PC Fans 2021: The Strongest and Quietest Case Fans for Your Gaming PC

Fans come in multiple sizes. 120mm is the most common, but they also come in 80/140/200/etc. The case you choose should indicate exactly what case fans are compatible in the front/top/back.
I think I'll purchase this Corsair case along with 3 additional 120mm fans listed in the article.

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Airfl..._t1_B07PJ18S78
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:49 PM 03-11-2021
So after all of the excellent assistance from Fish and others in this thread, I think I'm ready to place an order for the following:

Intel Core i9-10850k
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
Crucial Ballistix 3200 32GB Ram (2)
Thermaltake 850 watt PS
Noctua NH-D15s Cooler
Corsair 275R Case
StarTech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter
Samsung NVMe 500 GB
StarTech Thunderbolt cable 2M
Invanky Mini Port Adapter (Monitor #2)
Arctic F12 120mm fans (3)
Arctic Thermal Compound
[Reply]
vailpass 11:02 PM 03-11-2021
Originally Posted by Pants:
It's definitely a little more work to install (some cases make it easier than others) but it's one of those things... you only have to do it once so not a biggie.
Thanks Pants. I got the mobo assembled and installed today along with the AIO. I had to take the cooler out, turn it the other way to get the hoses to route the way I wanted, but it wasn’t too bad at all.
[Reply]
Fish 11:32 PM 03-11-2021
So after all of the excellent assistance from Fish and others in this thread, I think I'm ready to place an order for the following:

Intel Core i9-10850k
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
Crucial Ballistix 3200 32GB Ram (2)
Thermaltake 850 watt PS
Noctua NH-D15s Cooler
Corsair 275R Case
StarTech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter
Samsung NVMe 500 GB
StarTech Thunderbolt cable 2M
Invanky Mini Port Adapter (Monitor #2)
Arctic F12 120mm fans (3)
Arctic Thermal Compound
Yeah, that's a sexy build right there. That CPU heatsink is bad ass. Guarantee that will give you just as good of temps as AIO. Hope you got the black version, because that would look pretty good in that case with that mobo. Especially with that full tempered glass side. LOL. After saying you didn't care about looks....

Just FYI on the Samsung NVMe... their 980 was recently released, and the speed on this thing is simply bonkers. Almost 7000MB/s read speed which is actually almost double the speed of their previous 970 version. Depending on where you buy, the 980 is actually cheaper. If you have the option, get that version.

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-500GB.../dp/B08GL575DB
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:09 AM 03-12-2021
Yeah, that's a sexy build right there. That CPU heatsink is bad ass. Guarantee that will give you just as good of temps as AIO. Hope you got the black version, because that would look pretty good in that case with that mobo. Especially with that full tempered glass side. LOL. After saying you didn't care about looks....

Just FYI on the Samsung NVMe... their 980 was recently released, and the speed on this thing is simply bonkers. Almost 7000MB/s read speed which is actually almost double the speed of their previous 970 version. Depending on where you buy, the 980 is actually cheaper. If you have the option, get that version.

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-500GB.../dp/B08GL575DB
Thanks again! I haven't purchased just yet because I kind of waiting for your response to the parts. :-)

I've got a cart going at Amazon, which for me has been the best source for parts when building computers because they quickly turnaround defective parts. The last two times I've built computers, the motherboards were DOA so while I'll probably shop accessories, I'll stick with Amazon for the motherboard.

I'm excited about this hard drive because normally, it takes me about 60 hours to install and authorize my software so maybe this will cut some time from that arduous process.

Thanks again!
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:03 PM 03-12-2021
Ordered!

The Thunderbolt thing is a bit daunting because I've never used it before and some of these protocols seem weird to me. I'm kinda bummed that all of the parts won't arrive for 2 weeks but hopefully it's worth the wait.

Thanks again, guys!
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 08:10 PM 03-12-2021
You really can’t go wrong with Noctua, great coolers and great case fans. You should be very happy with that build
[Reply]
Page 6 of 13
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Up