ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 10
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Media Center>'Godzilla vs. Kong' Likely the Latest Tentpole to Go to a Streamer
Tribal Warfare 11:19 PM 11-25-2020

Exclusive: 'Godzilla vs. Kong' likely the latest tentpole to go to a streamer https://t.co/oqlxUlCYTf pic.twitter.com/so3kC2C48m

— The Hollywood Reporter (@THR) November 26, 2020

[Reply]
Imon Yourside 03:24 PM 03-31-2021
I'm going to exclude Gamera because those are my favorite but ya for a Godzilla movie, I thought they nailed the feeling and with more action too. I should recuse myself from here before I give away a spoiler haha.
[Reply]
Rausch 05:14 PM 03-31-2021
Originally Posted by Imon Yourside:
Great Movie, really captures the spirit of the old ones from growing up.
This.

The best way I can relate this film is the way comic book movies use to be. Before the Marvel movies there was Batman and pretty much every other comic movie was liked by comic fans and no one else. Comic movies were very cheesy and you were either a nerd and liked it or a normie and didn't. Batman being really the only exception.

Marvel movies were different. They were still cheesy but acceptable cheesy. Normies could watch and enjoy without completely rolling their eyes.

GVK is that for monster movies. I was surprised all the way through how much the plot and human elements were upped. It was the difference between Tim Burton Batman (King of the Monsters) and Dark Knight Rises (GVK.) It is not as good an overall movie as DKR but the perfect theater popcorn movie that doesn't make you roll your eyes.

I would say it's Jurassic Park with bad science.

It doesn't erode the core of the Godzilla/Kong universe to appeal to a bigger audience. In fact, despite my pounding head and handful of narcotics I noticed a good 20 tips of the hat to the Japanese Godzilla films. TONS of things included G fans will recognize but don't take a way from the plot or film by being included.

I'd really like to do a non-spoiler review when my eyes aren't being jabbed with ice pics.

Short story: by FAR best Monster-verse movie yet. Even people who don't usually enjoy Godzilla/Kong will still have fun. It's Jurassic Park + Godzilla and Kong + sci-fi elements...
[Reply]
Fish 06:25 PM 03-31-2021
Just downloaded the 4K. Didn't realize it was out already. Giddy up!
[Reply]
KC_Lee 07:16 PM 03-31-2021
Just got done watching it via HBO Max. Some thoughts...

Best movie (writing, characters, fights, etc.) of the Monster-verse since Kong: Skull Island, which is still the best in my opinion
Better script than Godzilla: King of the Monsters but still lacking somewhat on the human side
There are some scenes that you can tell were shot for IMAX / 3D.
Of two human "groups" we follow the one following Godzilla / APEX was the weakest, Millie Bobby Brown wasn't bad but wasn't great either in this film, she was just sort of there
Regarding the fight scenes, glad we got away from the fights at night during a driving rainstorm but...
Spoiler!

The monsters...
Spoiler!

Some deep cut references throughout the movie, I mean really deep cut references, that were great adds if you're a hard core fan. Not just the old Showa series of Toho films but a couple of callbacks to scenes from a couple of the Heisei series of Toho films.

All in all I liked the movie, could have been better in some spots, almost 2 hours long but I felt like the movie was lacking any meat (plot wise) and was a lot of empty calories. But just like a good dessert, I enjoyed the empty calories.
[Reply]
Rausch 07:40 PM 03-31-2021
Originally Posted by KC_Lee:
Just got done watching it via HBO Max. Some thoughts...

Best movie (writing, characters, fights, etc.) of the Monster-verse since Kong: Skull Island, which is still the best in my opinion
Better script than Godzilla: King of the Monsters but still lacking somewhat on the human side
There are some scenes that you can tell were shot for IMAX / 3D.
Of two human "groups" we follow the one following Godzilla / APEX was the weakest, Millie Bobby Brown wasn't bad but wasn't great either in this film, she was just sort of there
Regarding the fight scenes, glad we got away from the fights at night during a driving rainstorm but...
Spoiler!

The monsters...
Spoiler!

Some deep cut references throughout the movie, I mean really deep cut references, that were great adds if you're a hard core fan. Not just the old Showa series of Toho films but a couple of callbacks to scenes from a couple of the Heisei series of Toho films.

All in all I liked the movie, could have been better in some spots, almost 2 hours long but I felt like the movie was lacking any meat (plot wise) and was a lot of empty calories. But just like a good dessert, I enjoyed the empty calories.
I have no problem with the first spoiler. That was done to show how different the home field advantage was and pointed out the difference later on.

I also at first felt like you did on the 2nd spoiler but that points back to the characters - Kong is more closely like a human and Godzilla is a force of nature. They should act differently...
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 07:49 PM 03-31-2021
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Rausch 08:19 PM 03-31-2021
Originally Posted by eDave:
:-)

I went into this as a Godzilla fan thinking "he better murder Kong. This is like a ninja fighting spider man - it should be a massacre." Things happen in the movie and I'm like ooooooooooooh that's smart. Well played.

In a way this movie is like a movie about a dog fighting a wolf. Many people will just be pulling for the dog to win. People love dogs. Dogs act like people in some ways. Other people will say if the wolf doesn't slaughter the dog it's absolutely stupid.

Well, in this movie there are new things we learn about the dog in this fight...
[Reply]
Rausch 08:23 PM 03-31-2021
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
What are the odds that 90% of the movie consists of boring scenes of humans talking about the monsters?
Nope.

Of the humans there is team A and team B. All of the puny humans story lines follow one of these two teams. Team A is at all times accompanied by Kong. ALL of team A's story has Kong in it.

Really 3/4ths of this movie has some giant monster in it. Humans are really only the first 30 minutes and Kong's in a good part of that as well...
[Reply]
Rausch 08:24 PM 03-31-2021
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Spoiler!
I was thinking that might happen and it's kind of a combination of two different things in the Japanese Godzilla films...
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 08:42 PM 03-31-2021
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Imon Yourside 03:55 AM 04-01-2021
Originally Posted by Rausch:
:-)

I went into this as a Godzilla fan thinking "he better murder Kong. This is like a ninja fighting spider man - it should be a massacre." Things happen in the movie and I'm like ooooooooooooh that's smart. Well played.

In a way this movie is like a movie about a dog fighting a wolf. Many people will just be pulling for the dog to win. People love dogs. Dogs act like people in some ways. Other people will say if the wolf doesn't slaughter the dog it's absolutely stupid.

Well, in this movie there are new things we learn about the dog in this fight...
Yup I went in expecting to turn it off and hate Kong and was happy all throughout. :-)
[Reply]
KC_Lee 07:58 AM 04-01-2021
Originally Posted by Rausch:
I was thinking that might happen and it's kind of a combination of two different things in the Japanese Godzilla films...
You're correct.

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Fish 08:27 AM 04-01-2021
This throwback scene was worth a laugh...

Spoiler!

[Reply]
ThaVirus 09:40 AM 04-01-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
This throwback scene was worth a laugh...

Spoiler!
We had a good laugh at that.

Also, when Big G was trying to let off his atomic breath and kept burning Kong's fingers lol
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 10:17 AM 04-01-2021
Gigan or Destroyah is next
[Reply]
Page 4 of 10
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Up