ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 165 of 172
« First < 65115155161162163164165 166167168169 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Motorcycle Discussion Thread
Dayze 11:41 AM 06-07-2013
I figure there are some motorcycle guys/gals on CP, so I thought we could have a place to talk all things Motorcycles.

Tire Mount and Balance Prices (as of 10/29/16)

Prices based on if you remove the wheels yourself and bring the wheels and new tires with you:

Cycle Gear - $35 per wheel if you buy tires from them. $58 per wheel if you buy tires elsewhere
Rawhide - $65 per wheel (assuming it would be the same at other HD dealers. they book it at 1/2 hr per wheel)
C R Cycle Tires (DeSoto) - $30 per wheel

Cheapest I've found my Michelin Commander II's. Seem like they have good prices on other brands too.
http://www.jakewilson.com - Free 3 day shipping on orders over $75
[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:10 AM 04-20-2021
Originally Posted by Graystoke:
Got it. I say I don't teach but inevitably I have taught a lot of my family and friends to ride. We have a 1972 Yamaha 100. Many of riders have learnt on this little bike.
Honestly, this would be nice. It's how most of us learned, but that model is changing. And I'll help as much as I can, but in the end they need to reply on the people who are more experienced with people who are moving from riding bicycles to street bikes. I've provided lots of material for them to review to understand the basic concepts, even showed them any number of things on the Sportster that they've glossed over as they rode with me on the Electra Glide; so now that they're interested, videos explaining concepts like the friction zone are worth watching.

They will do fine, they just need to understand that it's a process and they need to follow the path.
[Reply]
allen_kcCard 11:31 AM 04-20-2021
Originally Posted by cooper barrett:
may I suggest Hiway 19 in MO and a stop at Signal Mountain in Chattanooga,?

She always there?
[Reply]
Dayze 11:58 AM 04-20-2021
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
Not at all, we bought it for the wife and son to learn to ride. Next stop for them is riding class. It's a process, and I'm just telling them to trust the professionals and don't worry about me or my opinions. I'm a rider, I teach SCUBA, I don't teach riding motorcycles, I'll leave that to the Pros and trust that they'll do their job.
I really got a great deal of benefit from Keith Code's "Twist of the Wrist" book back in the day. Granted, it was at the time more for my improvement as a sport ridier, but still use a lot of the skills I practiced from that book; it really helped me understand what the bike was doing conceptually / geometry of the bike / and how the bike would react/change in certain scenarios. and of course, Trail Braking which I STILL practice / make a conscious effort.

Hell, I still to this day will sometimes go out and just 'practice' low speed stuff in wide open areas; or emergency stops; or I'll force myself to focus on a given skill that particular day.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 12:01 PM 04-20-2021
Originally Posted by Dayze:
I really got a great deal of benefit from Keith Code's "Twist of the Wrist" book back in the day. Granted, it was at the time more for my improvement as a sport ridier, but still use a lot of the skills I practiced from that book; it really helped me understand what the bike was doing conceptually / geometry of the bike / and how the bike would react/change in certain scenarios. and of course, Trail Braking which I STILL practice / make a conscious effort.

Hell, I still to this day will sometimes go out and just 'practice' low speed stuff in wide open areas; or I'll force myself to focus on a given skill that particular day.
100% true. I find an empty lot on a Sunday morning and I'm working those skills. Even had a police officer come into the Home Depot parking lot and ask if that was what I was doing. I told him yes, and he, being a rider, was like "rock on dude"..
[Reply]
cooper barrett 12:19 PM 04-20-2021
Parking lot "skillZ" turn down the music

100% true. I find an empty lot on a Sunday morning and I'm working those skills. Even had a police officer come into the Home Depot parking lot and ask if that was what I was doing. I told him yes, and he, being a rider, was like "rock on dude"..

[Reply]
GloryDayz 12:45 PM 04-20-2021
Those guys are super impressive. Yeah, I'm nowhere close to that... But I'll keep practicing..
[Reply]
hometeam 04:49 PM 04-20-2021
Just got the wife an 883 Sportster. This will be interesting.
My wife comes from sportbikes only. All she ever knew. She was nervous about the weight and height of the 883 but fell in love quick, great little bikes.
[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 04:53 PM 04-20-2021
Looking for police free zones in Texas now if anyone wants to ride. Fort Worth area.
[Reply]
stevieray 05:08 PM 04-20-2021
Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY:
Looking for police free zones in Texas now if anyone wants to ride. Fort Worth area.
I'm going to be about an hour north of Dallas this summer.
[Reply]
stanleychief 05:51 PM 04-20-2021
may I suggest Hiway 19 in MO and a stop at Signal Mountain in Chattanooga,?

MO 19 is indeed a blast! I do a lot of float trips in Eminence. You can't go wrong with a lot of roads down in that area. MO 19 is pretty fun from Hermann all the way down to Eminence. Just be prepared to get stuck behind traffic on summer weekends. One of my absolute favorite roads is MO 106 westbound from Eminence to Ellington. It's quiet, has great visibility, banked corners and lots of hills. If you're on a sporty bike, it's hard not to have fun.

I'll look into Signal Mountain. That might be a place we could check out on our journey back. Thanks for the suggestion.
[Reply]
stanleychief 06:03 PM 04-20-2021
Originally Posted by mac459:
So about 5 years ago my ex-girlfriend and I went to Chattanooga from north Missouri. We stayed a week and rode pretty much everywhere. Cherohala Skyway, Tail of the Dragon, Blue Ridge, and a shit load of the roads around all of them. Well worth the trip, and a fun trip for whoever is riding passenger.

It is beautiful, and easy to get distracted, so take your time, stop and look at things when you can, and remember that people in cars don’t pay any attention. Also through Deals Gap, guys on bikes ride like assholes, so keep a look out for that.
I've seen videos of some of the rides through Tail of the Dragon (Deal's Gap in particular) where people are being morons. I can see why they have so many accidents. I'm hoping if we are able to do it on a weekday that it might not be as bad. I've had a lot of fun on my bike, but I won't be riding that road like it's a timed lap.

I was able to do a two week ride out West a few years back. I went through Yellowstone, which although beautiful, is downright hazardous on a motorcycle. Low visibility with all the campers in front of you, and traffic suddenly coming to a halt whenever someone sees a bear. It's probably the only time I'd wished I was in a car on a sunny day.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 07:02 PM 04-20-2021
try either of these if you like scary.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Paci...38.1333764!3e0

Originally Posted by stanleychief:
MO 19 is indeed a blast! I do a lot of float trips in Eminence. You can't go wrong with a lot of roads down in that area. MO 19 is pretty fun from Hermann all the way down to Eminence. Just be prepared to get stuck behind traffic on summer weekends. One of my absolute favorite roads is MO 106 westbound from Eminence to Ellington. It's quiet, has great visibility, banked corners and lots of hills. If you're on a sporty bike, it's hard not to have fun.

I'll look into Signal Mountain. That might be a place we could check out on our journey back. Thanks for the suggestion.

[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 07:57 PM 04-20-2021
Originally Posted by stevieray:
I'm going to be about an hour north of Dallas this summer.
GTFO, that would be awesome.
[Reply]
Dayze 09:31 PM 04-20-2021
I used to be able to roll in on my Street Glide, and bang a u-turn within the confines of the dimensions of my driveway to back it into my garage. All about momentum, and commitment and if you're in that zone of counter steer speed or not.

My brother though I was nuts. :-)

but I was nowhere near that good as the Cop on the bike.
[Reply]
Dayze 09:32 PM 04-20-2021
Originally Posted by stanleychief:

MO 125 near Branson ( I think), was awesome. it ends up at a dead end at Peel Ferry (I think) to take across Bull Shoals Lake.

great ride.
[Reply]
Page 165 of 172
« First < 65115155161162163164165 166167168169 > Last »
Up