ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Josh Palmer, WR, Tennessee
The Franchise 02:49 PM 04-16-2021

#Tennessee’s Josh Palmer had 101 snaps vs. likely top-three round CBs: Surtain, Horn, Campbell, Stokes and Joseph.

14 of 14 in catching the “catchable balls” in those matchups (per PFF), 11 first downs, 4 TDs, and 16 YPR.

Top-10 WR in the draft for me pic.twitter.com/PWla69l8wE

— Eric Galko (@EricGalko) April 16, 2021

I’d love Terrace Marshall but there’s a lot of great WRs later in the draft. Palmer is one of them.
[Reply]
Kellerfox 03:14 PM 04-16-2021
STRENGTHS: Excellent size/speed blend...displays the vertical skills to stack and win over the top...strong mitts and catches the ball cleanly away from his frame...shows off his athleticism when the ball is in the air, adjusting and timing his attack...balanced in his sink and snap at the stem, quickly presenting himself as a target...puts the ball away and secures catches through contact...not shy doing the dirty work into traffic or over the middle of the field...routinely proved his toughness, bouncing back from physical hits...consistent effort as a blocker to keep cornerbacks engaged...didn’t wilt vs. top competition — his two best tapes in 2020 came vs. Alabama and Georgia (three of his four touchdown catches came vs. Patrick Surtain, Tyson Campbell and DJ Daniel).

WEAKNESSES: Sharp footwork as a route runner, but lacks deception to easily uncover underneath...his route tempo can be improved...not an elusive player with the ball in his hands, and splash plays after the catch were scarce on his tape (only 19.4% of his career receiving yards came after the catch)...disappeared in the red zone (combined for only one catch the last two seasons in the red zone)...below average production and never eclipsed 500 yards receiving in any of his four seasons in Knoxville.

SUMMARY: A four-year starter at Tennessee, Palmer was the Z receiver in former offensive coordinator Jim Chaney’s scheme, becoming just the sixth Canadian to letter for the Volunteers. With only one career 100-yard receiving performance in 36 starts, his college production was unimpressive, although below average quarterback play at Tennessee was a main culprit. Palmer has vacuum hands and natural tracking skills to win the catch point, registering only four drops (none in 2020) on 164 targets in his college career. He has enough speed to eliminate cushions, stack corners and win over the top, flashing playmaking skills when given the opportunity. Overall, Palmer doesn’t have an explosive gear, but his footwork, ball skills and toughness are NFL-quality. He projects as a depth piece with starter potential in the right situation.
[Reply]
kccrow 03:35 PM 04-16-2021
One of my favorite sleepers. I don't think he has the production to go day 2, but I'd be hard-pressed to pass if he's available in 4 and the picks are there. Definitely one of those guys where you think his pro production will certainly outmatch his collegiate.
[Reply]
Dante84 07:28 PM 04-16-2021
What a strange year. I genuinely like 10-15 WR’s.

Is it possible we draft 2? Or even 3?

Hill is 1 and was little weird about his contract this off-season. Probably nothing.... but still.
No 2 on the roster.
Hardman is a 3 and is floundering on anything that requires a route.
DRob is a blah 3/4 and is gone next year.
Pringle is a 4.
Anything after that is practice squad bs.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 10:57 PM 04-16-2021
I want a 2 and a big possession type to move the chains/jump ball in the end zone receiver.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:06 AM 04-17-2021
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief:
I want a 2 and a big possession type to move the chains/jump ball in the end zone receiver.
I wouldn't hold your breath. They might go get a bigger #2 ala Sammy Watkins, but I doubt you'll ever see a "jump ball" WR while Andy Reid is in KC.
[Reply]
Up