ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 240 of 341
« First < 140190230236237238239240 241242243244250290340 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Off Season Lets Talk Guns, Part 2
HonestChieffan 11:58 AM 01-23-2011
Been a while since we had a guns n' ammo discussion.

Some of you are AR shooters Im sure. Im looking at a Colt 6920. Will be my first AR. Picked up a Glock this fall and really enjoy shooting it. Any feedback on that weapon?

Anyone else been in a buy/sell/trade mood with hardware?
[Reply]
bigjosh 03:46 PM 09-24-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
That's a shotgun?

Yeah. Its a rock island vr80 12 gauge. 19 round mags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Megatron96 04:15 PM 09-24-2020
Originally Posted by bigjosh:
Yeah. Its a rock island vr80 12 gauge. 19 round mags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hmm. Rock Island is a good company as well. So I've heard anyway.

Though, to be a little facetious, if you really need 19 rounds of 12-gauge to defend your home, it's probably time to move.
[Reply]
Frazod 05:09 PM 09-24-2020
So your feed tube extends past the muzzle? Does it ever get hit by the shot? Always kind of wondered about that.
That was my first thought as well, but it's not an issue. The shot doesn't begin to spread out until after about ten yards.

This kind of dispels the myth about using a shotgun for home defense because it's easier to hit the target. If you live in a typical house or apartment, it just won't be a factor. The true advantage to using a shotgun is the size of the round and the power behind it. Hit somebody at close range with a 12 gauge slug and they're done. Doesn't matter if they're wearing body armor or not.
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:15 PM 09-24-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
That was my first thought as well, but it's not an issue. The shot doesn't begin to spread out until after about ten yards.

This kind of dispels the myth about using a shotgun for home defense because it's easier to hit the target. If you live in a typical house or apartment, it just won't be a factor. The true advantage to using a shotgun is the size of the round and the power behind it. Hit somebody at close range with a 12 gauge slug and they're done. Doesn't matter if they're wearing body armor or not.
Yeah, with a typical shotgun the pattern is kind of small at most indoor distances. Though I patterned my Mossy with the 16-inch barrel once and at 10 yards it produced a fairly large pattern, IIRC. No choke on that thing though, just a short tube/pipe really. Hard to call it a "barrel."

The biggest issue for shotguns for most people is the felt recoil. Hard to send a follow-up shot for most people in any kind of reasonably short time frame. The average seems to be around 3-5 seconds between aimed shots. Regardless of whether they're autos or pumps.
[Reply]
Frazod 05:19 PM 09-24-2020
Yeah, with a typical shotgun the pattern is kind of small at most indoor distances. Though I patterned my Mossy with the 16-inch barrel once and at 10 yards it produced a fairly large pattern, IIRC. No choke on that thing though, just a short tube/pipe really. Hard to call it a "barrel."

The biggest issue for shotguns for most people is the felt recoil. Hard to send a follow-up shot for most people in any kind of reasonably short time frame. The average seems to be around 3-5 seconds between aimed shots. Regardless of whether they're autos or pumps.
My Versa Max has very little kick; nothing compared to a standard shotgun. I can shoot it hard all day and feel no ill effects afterward. It's stupid easy to shoot fast and stay on target with it.
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:33 PM 09-24-2020
My Versa Max has very little kick; nothing compared to a standard shotgun. I can shoot it hard all day and feel no ill effects afterward. It's stupid easy to shoot fast and stay on target with it.
Right, I just meant typical shotguns. Especially the short 'tactical' types or bird guns or whatever. I watched a guy last year that brought a new 'tactical' pump to the range to practice with I guess. It took him about 4 seconds to fire, remember to pump, then find the center of the target and fire again.

He didn't believe me when i told him he was taking too long at first, so I filmed him with my phone and showed him. He asked me to demonstrate how to do it so I reeled off 6 shots in about 3 seconds. But at the time I'd been running the course at the CTC (clay target center) for a few months every year for about 6 years so i was used to running pumps quickly. Plus, I had a good teacher (Fredo ran the CTC for a while and was a clays competitor and local champion).

I explained the fundamentals of running a pump faster as I was taught and he worked on it for the next half hour before his shoulder started getting too sore. But he did get a little faster before he left.

The point being, there's a couple things that have to be mastered with standard shotguns to run them quickly that most people don't even think about when they buy one for HD. The biggest one being felt recoil. That whack to the shoulder is about the same as triggering a .30-06 round.
[Reply]
Hoopsdoc 05:39 PM 09-24-2020
Looking to buy my first handgun(I own several shotguns). I’m looking for recommendations on a decent gun at a reasonable price. Something I can keep for protection and is also fun to shoot.

Suggestions?
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:45 PM 09-24-2020
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc:
Looking to buy my first handgun(I own several shotguns). I’m looking for recommendations on a decent gun at a reasonable price. Something I can keep for protection and is also fun to shoot.

Suggestions?
What types of handguns have you shot in the past?

Anything you liked if so?

Are you going to carry it?

Or strictly HD/truck-type gun?

What's your budget? $300? $800? Bear in mind that if you're going to carry it, you have to consider the cost of a holster (approx. $30-60).

Do you have hand strength issues?
[Reply]
bigjosh 05:50 PM 09-24-2020
Hmm. Rock Island is a good company as well. So I've heard anyway.

Though, to be a little facetious, if you really need 19 rounds of 12-gauge to defend your home, it's probably time to move.

I would never use this for home defense. It was strictly purchased to shoot open division in 3gun.

Home defense is Pistol caliber Carbine for life.
[Reply]
bigjosh 05:53 PM 09-24-2020
I would never use this for home defense. It was strictly purchased to shoot open division in 3gun.

9mm AK master race
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:55 PM 09-24-2020

Oh, I might. If it were the gun closest to me at the time. Or if I really, REALLY wanted to ruin someone's day. But I'd have to pretty much want to send that person to Hell in as many pieces as possible. I don't really have anyone I dislike that much right now though.
[Reply]
Frazod 06:05 PM 09-24-2020

Suggestions?
I don't want to sound like a Glock fan boy, because I'm not, but a Glock 19 is great beginner gun. It is light, simple, basic and reliable out of the box. Decent trigger. Good magazine capacity. Easy to break down. Compact enough to be a good carry gun and an excellent home defense choice. It has no external safety switch (the safety is built into the trigger), so you'll never have an OH SHIT experience if you're suddenly thrust into a life or death situation. Should set you back between $500 or $600, depending on the generation and if it has night sights. At least that's what I paid for mine a couple of years ago before all this rioting shit happened and guns started flying off the shelves.

Of course there are many other options. If you're on a budget, the Walther Creed would be a good choice, or the CZ P10 C.
[Reply]
ljmhawk 06:47 PM 09-24-2020

Suggestions?
walther creed ppq M2. you’ll thank me after you hold it and feel the trigger.
[Reply]
vailpass 06:51 PM 09-24-2020
I don't want to sound like a Glock fan boy, because I'm not, but a Glock 19 is great beginner gun. It is light, simple, basic and reliable out of the box. Decent trigger. Good magazine capacity. Easy to break down. Compact enough to be a good carry gun and an excellent home defense choice. It has no external safety switch (the safety is built into the trigger), so you'll never have an OH SHIT experience if you're suddenly thrust into a life or death situation. Should set you back between $500 or $600, depending on the generation and if it has night sights. At least that's what I paid for mine a couple of years ago before all this rioting shit happened and guns started flying off the shelves.

Of course there are many other options. If you're on a budget, the Walther Creed would be a good choice, or the CZ P10 C.
Also, the Glock 19 Gen 5 9mm seems to be available right now. Which is a plus. Ammo, on the other hand...

https://sgcusa.com/handguns/glock/9mm.html
[Reply]
vailpass 06:54 PM 09-24-2020
Originally Posted by ljmhawk:
walther creed ppq M2. you’ll thank me after you hold it and feel the trigger.
Which? Creed or PPQ?
[Reply]
Page 240 of 341
« First < 140190230236237238239240 241242243244250290340 > Last »
Up