ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 231 of 341
« First < 131181221227228229230231 232233234235241281331 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Off Season Lets Talk Guns, Part 2
HonestChieffan 11:58 AM 01-23-2011
Been a while since we had a guns n' ammo discussion.

Some of you are AR shooters Im sure. Im looking at a Colt 6920. Will be my first AR. Picked up a Glock this fall and really enjoy shooting it. Any feedback on that weapon?

Anyone else been in a buy/sell/trade mood with hardware?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:46 AM 09-11-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
There are a ton of different factors that affect recoil. Most notably are gun weight and barrel length. But there are a bunch of other design elements that I'm not physicist enough to understand. All this is beyond just the round.

So how does this help? It doesn't. I'd recommend finding a way to shoot the guns you are interested in, especially if you're looking at dropping serious coin on one or looking for an heirloom kind of thing.
The gas-recoil system will help in a big way. Bolt actions just jar you and there's little way around it. Like you said - it's just physics. That's Newton's 3rd law, brotha. That energy has to go somewhere and it's ultimately going straight backwards into your arm.

Put a good gas recoil system on there and the energy is redirected into cycling the bolt. So that's why I'm looking at the BAR - it is, to my eyes, the best auto-loading hunting/sporting rifle on the market (and pretty much always has been).

I think simply getting away from the bolt action will help a lot and ultimately I think the round itself may just come down to price/availability. I can't find a meaningful enough difference, to be honest. And the 30-06 is damn near available in grocery stores in Missouri. You can find it in any wal-mart you go to. They're just so easy to get your hands on.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:50 AM 09-11-2020
Originally Posted by Randallflagg:
I absolutely LOVE the 7mm round - as opposed to the 30-06 (but that's me) many, MANY swear by the 30-06 and it's been around since Moses was a baby (like the 7mm) so either way, if you can stand that bitch taking your shoulder off, I'd say go for it!

Me? I've always rather "enjoyed" the 7mm and the "kick".....makes me remember I'm alive :-)
The issue I've had with my 7mm is all my hunting is in MO which means you never truly get the benefit of that round. It's such a flat trajectory that it's amazing over distance but in the hills/trees of Missouri, you're just rarely shooting over 100 yards and at that range, who cares?

Additionally, because of the trees/hills, you often have to put yourself into some really strange shooting angles. I have a nice little 'scope bite' scar right above my right eye because I had to cock myself around a branch and really work into a space to get a shot on one a several years ago before he got behind the tree line.

I mean he came out worse for it, but the scope definitely left a mark.

I think it's just kinda the wrong gun for this region. Get me out further west where I'm looking at needing to hike into a range and hit something 300+ yards out and I'll probably be glad to have it. At that point all its benefits come into play and its drawbacks can be avoided.

But for most of my hunting I just don't need that pile-driver of a round and would sure like to not leave any more permanent marks on my face because of it.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:53 AM 09-11-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
The gas-recoil system will help in a big way. Bolt actions just jar you and there's little way around it. Like you said - it's just physics. That's Newton's 3rd law, brotha. That energy has to go somewhere and it's ultimately going straight backwards into your arm.

Put a good gas recoil system on there and the energy is redirected into cycling the bolt. So that's why I'm looking at the BAR - it is, to my eyes, the best auto-loading hunting/sporting rifle on the market (and pretty much always has been).

I think simply getting away from the bolt action will help a lot and ultimately I think the round itself may just come down to price/availability. I can't find a meaningful enough difference, to be honest. And the 30-06 is damn near available in grocery stores in Missouri. You can find it in any wal-mart you go to. They're just so easy to get your hands on.
Right. And heavier weapon and longer barrel will help too.

Couple years ago I bought an AR15 and couldn't believe how little kick there was. And it's light with a pretty short barrel.

But as far as ballistics, you'll have to go with what Mac said, he's far more knowledgeable than I am.

BTW, Congrats on your upcoming gun purchase :-)
[Reply]
Randallflagg 10:56 AM 09-11-2020
The issue I've had with my 7mm is all my hunting is in MO which means you never truly get the benefit of that round. It's such a flat trajectory that it's amazing over distance but in the hills/trees of Missouri, you're just rarely shooting over 100 yards and at that range, who cares?

Additionally, because of the trees/hills, you often have to put yourself into some really strange shooting angles. I have a nice little 'scope bite' scar right above my right eye because I had to cock myself around a branch and really work into a space to get a shot on one a several years ago before he got behind the tree line.

I think it's just kinda the wrong gun for this region. Get me out further west where I'm looking at needing to hike into a range and hit something 300+ yards out and I'll probably be glad to have it. At that point all its benefits come into play and its drawbacks can be avoided.

But for most of my hunting I just don't need that pile-driver of a round and would sure like to not leave any more permanent marks on my face because of it.
I absolutely agree that the 7mm (or even the 30-06) is not necessarily the right round for the MO/KS region. That's why I usually take the 7mm to Wyoming to practice my long range shooting (along with the AR10 and the M1A) - 350-500 (sometimes 600) yards. Clear sight. The problem however, with Wyoming, is getting the damned windage right. Damn wind BLOWS out there :-)

First time my Son shot the Mauser - he suffered the same fate with the scope.I tried to tell him - but, according to him, I'm an old man who doesn't know much :-)

He listens intently to me now......... :-)
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:16 AM 09-11-2020
First time my Son shot the Mauser - he suffered the same fate with the scope.I tried to tell him - but, according to him, I'm an old man who doesn't know much :-)

I was pretty sure it was going to happen, but it was going to be a fairly fun, challenging shot and so I had the optic turned up a bit. To get the sight picture to lock in, I really had to move around and put myself in an awkward spot.

You hunt the same ground long enough and you start to look for more challenging shots that are still 'ethical' and not just hucking lead downrange. That was one of 'em. It had an acceptable degree of difficulty to it and a little more range than normal. I knew it would probably leave a mark but there just wasn't much else I could do about it.

Actually had to finish him off w/ the sidearm. He ran when I hit him about mid-body but got himself hung up in some undergrowth. I stayed in the tree a bit to give him time to lay down but he just didn't do it so I climbed down and started walking that way. I got close to him and realized he'd gotten hung up and was just kinda waiting to die so I pulled the 40 I keep with me in case a raccoon or a coyote shows up and finished the job.

Was pretty pleased with the shot considering the angle and the range, but it wasn't exactly a perfect one.
[Reply]
R Clark 11:29 AM 09-11-2020
I absolutely agree that the 7mm (or even the 30-06) is not necessarily the right round for the MO/KS region. That's why I usually take the 7mm to Wyoming to practice my long range shooting (along with the AR10 and the M1A) - 350-500 (sometimes 600) yards. Clear sight. The problem however, with Wyoming, is getting the damned windage right. Damn wind BLOWS out there :-)

I’ve shot 06 in Ks for 45 yrs and got a long just fine. Most shots are100-150 yd but when a 300 yrd comes up no sweat . I live on east side of flint hills so not a lot of brush/thick trees to deal with mostly open grass country. I guess it’s what I’ve always had and just got use to . I’ve got a r15 I hardly ever shoot and a 243 I carry in feed truck for coyotes but nothing feels as good as the 06 .
[Reply]
Buehler445 01:16 PM 09-11-2020

That sucks man. I was shooting prairie dogs one time and was just trying to get any shot because the fuckers are smart and the scope touched my face, but it was just that, a touch. A healthy reminder to pay the fuck attention to what you're doing, not just trying to find the little fuckers. I couldn't imagine getting a scar out of it.

But hell, come out here, you can take as long a shot as you want. I've got a half mile runway that's flat as you can imagine, and I think notorious built his own range which goes out a ways. 1000 yards maybe? I'm not hitting shit at a half mile, but some guys around can.
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 01:33 PM 09-11-2020
May just end up doing both.

The Mag is just a POS savage w/ a bolt that's always been a bitch to get to seat properly. It's just not a very good gun but it's really light so I may just keep it in the event I ever do a real 'trek' style hunt.

The Browning is kinda heavy, as to be expected. Great for a short pack kinda thing.

I wish anyone actually carried the things. You have to order them from just about anywhere and I'd really like to lay hands on one before I bought it. Oh well.

Here is something else you can throw on the rifle that helps. Have one on my .270 and it makes it feel like you are shooting an AR, barely any recoil felt.

https://limbsaver.com/pages/recoil-pads-showcase
[Reply]
Bwana 01:44 PM 09-11-2020
I absolutely LOVE the 7mm round - as opposed to the 30-06 (but that's me) many, MANY swear by the 30-06 and it's been around since Moses was a baby (like the 7mm) so either way, if you can stand that bitch taking your shoulder off, I'd say go for it!

Me? I've always rather "enjoyed" the 7mm and the "kick".....makes me remember I'm alive :-)

Yeah I love the 7mm as well. I also love my .300 Ultramag. Flat shooting with a ton of knockdown to it. The thing I don't like about the .300, is that fact that it makes the 7mm feel like a .22 in the kick department. If I burn 20 though that gun, my shoulder feels like it's been through a meat grinder.
[Reply]
tmax63 02:17 PM 09-11-2020
For Missouri hunting and looking at less recoil it would be really hard to find anything outperforming a 243 or a 260. As said earlier it's hard to shoot farther than 200 yards there. Come out to CO or Montana and you want something flatter. I carry a 264 win mag. It'll shoot farther than I can. As I have gotten older I've discovered that recoil isn't that enjoyable to me and my days of a 300 Weatherby are gone and if I need a bigger bullet my 325 short mag or 35 Whelen are up to the task. Right tool for the right job.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 11:21 AM 09-12-2020
In my handgun class. Going to shoot way cool
[Reply]
displacedinMN 01:07 PM 09-12-2020
It was cool. Lots of people. Place is packed. Did well aiming and hitting. We can purchase a gun and not need a carry permit if we never take it off my own property.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 01:29 PM 09-12-2020
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
It was cool. Lots of people. Place is packed. Did well aiming and hitting. We can purchase a gun and not need a carry permit if we never take it off my own property.
I hope for you guys, that your "leaders" one day give you constitutional carry (no license for anything - open carry, concealed carry).

It works quite well for me, I am always armed anytime I leave the house. It's nothing for me really, I carried concealed for nearly the entire time I was in the Army - some 22 years.

To me it has always been - Forewarned is Forearmed.

Congratulations on your journey!!
[Reply]
vailpass 02:47 PM 09-12-2020
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
What kind of gun do you want to get?
[Reply]
displacedinMN 06:17 PM 09-12-2020
Originally Posted by vailpass:
What kind of gun do you want to get?
I liked the Sig Sauer.. Not sure of the model. 9mm.

Definitely not a revolver. Had a lot of kick, long trigger the way I had it set up.
Really loud too.

I need to get in and try a few more.

All kinds of people today.

If I can get one, not need a permit to have it on my property. That is a no brainer. It is an investment.

Then, If I go to the farm. I can take it there and have it if needed.

He helped me with the right hand, left eye dominant thing. It went well. And I was able to see the sight well enough since my arms were stretched.

Good times.
[Reply]
Page 231 of 341
« First < 131181221227228229230231 232233234235241281331 > Last »
Up