ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 230 of 341
« First < 130180220226227228229230 231232233234240280330 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Off Season Lets Talk Guns, Part 2
HonestChieffan 11:58 AM 01-23-2011
Been a while since we had a guns n' ammo discussion.

Some of you are AR shooters Im sure. Im looking at a Colt 6920. Will be my first AR. Picked up a Glock this fall and really enjoy shooting it. Any feedback on that weapon?

Anyone else been in a buy/sell/trade mood with hardware?
[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:13 PM 09-09-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Bought a gun...

Similar to the one I posted about earlier.

https://www.primaryarms.com/foxtrot-...usive-pistol-7

Foxtrot Mike Products 9mm Tri Lug SBA3 PA Exclusive Pistol - 7"

Barrel Coating: Salt Bath Nitride
Barrel Length: 7 in.
Barrel Lining:Salt Bath Nitride
Brand:Foxtrot Mike Products
Caliber Gauge: 9mm Luger
Handguard:5.5 in M-LOK Rail
Muzzle Device: Tri-Lug
Twist Rate: 1:10

I didn't want to drop that coin right now, but it's in stock and, the price wasn't terrible compared to what else I've seen around. I mean, the price is still ridiculous. But I wanted to pick one up in case weird shit happens at the election. I'll be OK with what I have if they go away with this one. I haven't normally responded to panic buy environments, but Jesus, man - 2020 is something else.

Primary uses are a tractor gun for varmints and a HD weapon.

Hopefully it doesn't take too long to ship to my FFL dealer.
7" barrel. What do they list the muzzle velocity as? Should be awesome...
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:20 AM 09-10-2020
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
7" barrel. What do they list the muzzle velocity as? Should be awesome...
I don't know that I saw it listed anywhere. I'm a moron when it comes to ballistics but I'm guessing it depends on the load/weight of the ammo.
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 07:33 AM 09-10-2020
Shorter barrels = less velocity

Less time for explosion to push projectile
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:33 AM 09-10-2020
Originally Posted by mac459:
Shorter barrels = less velocity

Less time for explosion to push projectile
Right. There are a bunch of them on the market that have 3” and 5” barrels. That’s not really that much of an improvement over a pistol. I get the shoulder mount matters in terms of accuracy but dang, 3” barrel?

The one I shot had an 8” barrel and I was reasonably accurate at 75 yards, and the gun was far more accurate than the operator in my case, which for this rig this is what I need.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 12:49 PM 09-10-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I don't know that I saw it listed anywhere. I'm a moron when it comes to ballistics but I'm guessing it depends on the load/weight of the ammo.
Correct. And barrel length is a factor as well.
[Reply]
LiveSteam 02:52 PM 09-10-2020
Burn rate
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 03:48 PM 09-10-2020
So after a bit of looking 9mm with a 7” barrel has a muzzle velocity as follows

Cor Bon 115 gr DPX
1350 FPS

Federal 115 gr JHP
1223 FPS

Speer Gold Dot 124 gr
1316 FPS

Those same rounds out of a 3” barrel, in order

[Reply]
Buehler445 04:06 PM 09-10-2020
Thanks Mac.

Have you ever used a Sig Ramero5?

https://palmettostatearmory.com/sig-...ck-r52001.html
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 04:12 PM 09-10-2020
Yes, that is a very good optic. I would look around a little, you can find them cheaper than that. Sometimes anyway, might not with the demand for all things gun right now.
[Reply]
Buehler445 04:13 PM 09-10-2020
Yes, that is a very good optic. I would look around a little, you can find them cheaper than that. Sometimes anyway, might not with the demand for all things gun right now.
Yeah, I read some articles from earlier in the year that said they were 120 from Palmetto....Awesome.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:38 AM 09-11-2020
Have we discussed rounds in this mammoth of a thread?

After several years of success, I've finally failed to talk myself out of a Browning BAR; probably looking at a MK-II safari or something else equally 'classic' looking w/ a quality enough finish that it's worth passing down when I'm too old to go climbing trees.

My typical hunting round is a 7mm Rem-Mag and that !@#$er kicks HARD. Honestly, over the last few years its impacted my accuracy because I just flinch too much with it. I'm tired of that damn thing trying to take my arm off. But I REALLY like the round - dead flat, super fast and incredibly accurate.

Can't get a Mark II Safari in the 7mm though. So do I like the round that much? I hear the 30-06 is a much softer shooter than the 7mm rem mag and the .308 softer still.

So for a north american hunting rifle, is there really enough of a difference to care, at least in terms of performance. I'm leaning 30-06 just to take the strain off my shoulder and still be able to get a 'nice' enough gun to really take care of and have for the long-haul.

Christ that Mark III is ugly.
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 09:44 AM 09-11-2020
If you want to keep the mag, take it to a gunsmith. Have them thread the end of your barrel and put a break on it. That will help a ton with the kick, and will be cheaper than a new rifle.

If you want a new rifle, 30-06, 308, 270 are all great rifles that have good ballistics. All shoot flat and carry good energy.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:15 AM 09-11-2020
If you want to keep the mag, take it to a gunsmith. Have them thread the end of your barrel and put a break on it. That will help a ton with the kick, and will be cheaper than a new rifle.

If you want a new rifle, 30-06, 308, 270 are all great rifles that have good ballistics. All shoot flat and carry good energy.
May just end up doing both.

The Mag is just a POS savage w/ a bolt that's always been a bitch to get to seat properly. It's just not a very good gun but it's really light so I may just keep it in the event I ever do a real 'trek' style hunt.

The Browning is kinda heavy, as to be expected. Great for a short pack kinda thing.

I wish anyone actually carried the things. You have to order them from just about anywhere and I'd really like to lay hands on one before I bought it. Oh well.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:35 AM 09-11-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

After several years of success, I've finally failed to talk myself out of a Browning BAR; probably looking at a MK-II safari or something else equally 'classic' looking w/ a quality enough finish that it's worth passing down when I'm too old to go climbing trees.

My typical hunting round is a 7mm Rem-Mag and that !@#$er kicks HARD. Honestly, over the last few years its impacted my accuracy because I just flinch too much with it. I'm tired of that damn thing trying to take my arm off. But I REALLY like the round - dead flat, super fast and incredibly accurate.

Can't get a Mark II Safari in the 7mm though. So do I like the round that much? I hear the 30-06 is a much softer shooter than the 7mm rem mag and the .308 softer still.

So for a north american hunting rifle, is there really enough of a difference to care, at least in terms of performance. I'm leaning 30-06 just to take the strain off my shoulder and still be able to get a 'nice' enough gun to really take care of and have for the long-haul.

There are a ton of different factors that affect recoil. Most notably are gun weight and barrel length. But there are a bunch of other design elements that I'm not physicist enough to understand. All this is beyond just the round.

So how does this help? It doesn't. I'd recommend finding a way to shoot the guns you are interested in, especially if you're looking at dropping serious coin on one or looking for an heirloom kind of thing.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 10:46 AM 09-11-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

I absolutely LOVE the 7mm round - as opposed to the 30-06 (but that's me) many, MANY swear by the 30-06 and it's been around since Moses was a baby (like the 7mm) so either way, if you can stand that bitch taking your shoulder off, I'd say go for it!

Me? I've always rather "enjoyed" the 7mm and the "kick".....makes me remember I'm alive :-)
[Reply]
Page 230 of 341
« First < 130180220226227228229230 231232233234240280330 > Last »
Up