ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 183 of 341
« First < 83133173179180181182183 184185186187193233283 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Off Season Lets Talk Guns, Part 2
HonestChieffan 11:58 AM 01-23-2011
Been a while since we had a guns n' ammo discussion.

Some of you are AR shooters Im sure. Im looking at a Colt 6920. Will be my first AR. Picked up a Glock this fall and really enjoy shooting it. Any feedback on that weapon?

Anyone else been in a buy/sell/trade mood with hardware?
[Reply]
LiveSteam 07:04 PM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
What can you guys tell me about HR brand shotguns?

Been looking to add one as a home defense weapon and occasional bird gun, I know bird guns are different, but just want one to take when my bird crazy buddy asks me to go with him

Looked at a 12 gauge pump model with a field length barrel for $250, which is super affordable... would I be better off getting a Remington in the same gauge for $379?
They've been known to have cycling issues.
YouTube has plenty of vids on the H&R Pardner about this hangup
H&R is owned by Remington and the Pardner is just a cheap shit copy of the Remington 870.
Would not use for home defense.

Mossberg 500 is the best pump for the money
[Reply]
2112 07:39 PM 05-13-2020
Question: I have a 12 gauge Browning A-5 shotgun (1956 Belgium). It’s in Very good condition. Should I keep it as a collectors item and hand it down to somebody? I’d have no idea how much it’s worth. Any ideas on what it could go for?
[Reply]
Easy 6 07:40 PM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by LiveSteam:
H&R is owned by Remington and the Pardner is just a cheap shit copy of the Remington 870.

I hear you on the Mossberg 500, review after review ranks it as the best general purpose shotgun around

Neither place in my town carries them, but a quick 30 mile trip to Scheels could fix that
[Reply]
Pointer19 07:51 PM 05-13-2020
I hear you on the Mossberg 500, review after review ranks it as the best general purpose shotgun around

Neither place in my town carries them, but a quick 30 mile trip to Scheels could fix that
https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...otgun/p/p48932

The Maverick is Mossberg's more affordable model if you're interested.. Roughly $200 for a Mossberg-branded shotgun. My buddy has one and - while it feels kind of rickety - it's stood up to hundreds of shells so far.
[Reply]
Megatron96 07:53 PM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by 2112:
Question: I have a 12 gauge Browning A-5 shotgun (1956 Belgium). It’s in Very good condition. Should I keep it as a collectors item and hand it down to somebody? I’d have no idea how much it’s worth. Any ideas on what it could go for?
Go on Gunbroker.com and do a search for your gun. That should give you a pretty good ballpark value for your gun.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 07:54 PM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by LiveSteam:

My next shotgun purchase will be the Mossberg 590A1 Tactical.
[Reply]
Megatron96 07:56 PM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by Pointer19:
https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...otgun/p/p48932

The Maverick is Mossberg's more affordable model if you're interested.. Roughly $200 for a Mossberg-branded shotgun. My buddy has one and - while it feels kind of rickety - it's stood up to hundreds of shells so far.
About 20 years ago I bought a Maverick 88 from a pawnshop. Ran more than 2,000 rounds through it, mostly birdshot for quail and ducks, but also some goose shot and even some no.4 buck for coyotes. Never had an issue, and when I sold it 12 years later I took it apart and did a thorough cleaning job, and couldn't find much additional wear from when I bought it.

A Maverick should be fine as a HD gun and occasional bird gun. Though it's a fixed choke and I don't think you can do anything about it.
[Reply]
2112 08:08 PM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Go on Gunbroker.com and do a search for your gun. That should give you a pretty good ballpark value for your gun.
The prices are all over the place on there lol
[Reply]
Pointer19 08:09 PM 05-13-2020
About 20 years ago I bought a Maverick 88 from a pawnshop. Ran more than 2,000 rounds through it, mostly birdshot for quail and ducks, but also some goose shot and even some no.4 buck for coyotes. Never had an issue, and when I sold it 12 years later I took it apart and did a thorough cleaning job, and couldn't find much additional wear from when I bought it.

A Maverick should be fine as a HD gun and occasional bird gun. Though it's a fixed choke and I don't think you can do anything about it.
I've heard you can use a special tool to install a cylinder choke... YMMV with the ATF if you use too much of it.

[Reply]
Pointer19 08:12 PM 05-13-2020
At gun shows, I've seen lots of dealers with The Blue Book of Gun Values. You could invest in that and use it to determine your gun's value based on the condition and age.

Or you could just accept a Benjamin from your new pal Pointer. :-)
[Reply]
Megatron96 08:15 PM 05-13-2020
Find the ones that are exactly like yours. The same age, as close as possible, the same type of stock, finish, etc. Can't just type in "Browning A-5" and think they're all the same.
[Reply]
2112 08:21 PM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by Pointer19:
At gun shows, I've seen lots of dealers with The Blue Book of Gun Values. You could invest in that and use it to determine your gun's value based on the condition and age.

Or you could just accept a Benjamin from your new pal Pointer. :-)
Lol!
Find the ones that are exactly like yours. The same age, as close as possible, the same type of stock, finish, etc. Can't just type in "Browning A-5" and think they're all the same.
Yeah I just did a lazy search just like you assumed :-)

Thanks for the info!
[Reply]
srvy 09:16 PM 05-13-2020
I am the proud owner of my late Dads Belgium Browning A5 went with Dads as a youngun to Blairstown to trade his Winchester Model 12 at the time a highly sought after shotgun. It just didn't fit him so he traded. It became a very popular gas-operated shotgun till the Remington 1100 came around and stole some of its thunder. Probably best to hang onto for sentimental value as the Belgium steel barrel is too soft to shoot steel shot if your State requires. To the right collector, they can bring some money I suppose.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 08:07 PM 05-14-2020
Alright those of you that have ran lots of rounds through your pistols/guns.
So I have been hearing and reading about why Aluminum, Steel and Nickel cased rounds are bad for your weapon.
I want more opinions just to verify my belief that this stuff is pretty much bunk. I like the idea of Brass the best but with Ammo hard to come by and I don't plan on reloading it don't see why these are really bad for my Glock.
Opinions and experiences please and thanks in advance.
[Reply]
Megatron96 08:18 PM 05-14-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
Alright those of you that have ran lots of rounds through your pistols/guns.
So I have been hearing and reading about why Aluminum, Steel and Nickel cased rounds are bad for your weapon.
I want more opinions just to verify my belief that this stuff is pretty much bunk. I like the idea of Brass the best but with Ammo hard to come by and I don't plan on reloading it don't see why these are really bad for my Glock.
Opinions and experiences please and thanks in advance.
In normal pressure handguns the case material is immaterial. Doesn't seem to matter at all. I have fired more than 3,000 rds of steel cased ammo through my Glock 19 without any issues whatever.

More than 7,000 through my Shield and M&P9C 2.0 (4,500+ through the M&P9C), again no problems.

Firing steel through one of my AR-15s proved to be problematic and not cost-effective. High pressures from rifle rounds cause the steel to expand and then not bounced back, as a brass-cased round would. So the case gets stuck in the chamber, and this can cause the extractor to snap off, as it's made of soft steel. Now you have the problem of replacing the extractor as well as the fun of pounding the stuck case out of the chamber.

However, I have heard that steel cased ammo can wear out the extractor on pistols as well, it just takes longer. Personally I haven't had this issue, and I've fired only steel-case through my M&Ps for over three years now. YMMV.

Mickel cases are really brass cases that have been nickel-plated. This makes them a tad more brittle, so you can reload them less times, but otherwise can't harm your gun in any way.

I've never heard that aluminum cases can damage a gun from any reputable source. Aluminum can't be reloaded.
[Reply]
Page 183 of 341
« First < 83133173179180181182183 184185186187193233283 > Last »
Up