ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 133 of 341
« First < 3383123129130131132133 134135136137143183233 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Off Season Lets Talk Guns, Part 2
HonestChieffan 11:58 AM 01-23-2011
Been a while since we had a guns n' ammo discussion.

Some of you are AR shooters Im sure. Im looking at a Colt 6920. Will be my first AR. Picked up a Glock this fall and really enjoy shooting it. Any feedback on that weapon?

Anyone else been in a buy/sell/trade mood with hardware?
[Reply]
bigjosh 10:23 PM 11-02-2018
Like this
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...516446841.html
[Reply]
Bowser 10:18 PM 11-23-2018
Need opinions - for a home defense weapon, should I just get a run of the mill .12 gauge pump, or should I splurge and look into a Taurus Judge? I think I'm kinda leaning towards the judge. I like being able to load .410 rounds into it.
[Reply]
Frazod 10:31 PM 11-23-2018
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Need opinions - for a home defense weapon, should I just get a run of the mill .12 gauge pump, or should I splurge and look into a Taurus Judge? I think I'm kinda leaning towards the judge. I like being able to load .410 rounds into it.
My nightstand gun is a Glock. I don't want to be fumbling around with a shotgun in the dark in the middle of the night. I also want more than five shots. And my infamous refrigerator incident came as the result of attempting to decock a revolver when I was amped up and freaked out after a false burglar alarm. You definitely don't want that to happen.

If you're not someone who shoots regularly and will develop a strong, muscle-memory familiarity with these weapons, my advice is keep it simple. Take into account what your frame of mind will be in a situation where you'll actually need a gun to defend your home. It won't be like a day at the range.

A Glock has no external safety that you might forget to flip off, no hammer to worry about. Keep it loaded with defensive rounds, point and click.
[Reply]
Dunit35 10:49 PM 11-23-2018
Kel Tec KSG. I think it’s 12 or 14-2/3” shells and a bullpup pump. Pretty good kick on it though.
[Reply]
Bowser 11:08 PM 11-23-2018
Originally Posted by Frazod:
My nightstand gun is a Glock. I don't want to be fumbling around with a shotgun in the dark in the middle of the night. I also want more than five shots. And my infamous refrigerator incident came as the result of attempting to decock a revolver when I was amped up and freaked out after a false burglar alarm. You definitely don't want that to happen.

If you're not someone who shoots regularly and will develop a strong, muscle-memory familiarity with these weapons, my advice is keep it simple. Take into account what your frame of mind will be in a situation where you'll actually need a gun to defend your home. It won't be like a day at the range.

A Glock has no external safety that you might forget to flip off, no hammer to worry about. Keep it loaded with defensive rounds, point and click.
Good advice, thanks. I am not a regular shooter, but maybe hopefully that will change in 2019...

If I were to go with a Glock as a novice shooter, what round would you recommend? Good ol' 9mm, or something with a little more oomph?

Originally Posted by Dunit35:
Kel Tec KSG. I think it’s 12 or 14-2/3” shells and a bullpup pump. Pretty good kick on it though.
That's pretty sexy, not going to lie. But at a cool grand, a little more than I want to go in for.

Made me think of this -

[Reply]
bdj23 11:12 PM 11-23-2018
Taurus Judge is a meme gun.

Also, 9mm is fine
[Reply]
Frazod 01:07 AM 11-24-2018
Good advice, thanks. I am not a regular shooter, but maybe hopefully that will change in 2019...

If I were to go with a Glock as a novice shooter, what round would you recommend? Good ol' 9mm, or something with a little more oomph?
I personally have a Glock 22, which is a full-sized .40 caliber. It's a police trade-in that I got a deal on. However, as BDj23 said, 9mm is fine. Nothing smaller than that, though.

40 cal. isn't a good round in polymer guns if you're planning to put a lot of rounds through them, as most 40s have frames that are designed for 9mm, and since 40s are snappier rounds, they will wear out faster. But again, this is a problem for somebody who shoots a lot, not somebody who dabbles.

That being said, get a Glock 19. It's a compact 9mm. Perfect for carry or home defense, reliable out of the box, excellent magazine capacity (15 rounds), easy to shoot, break down and reassemble. Accessories readily available due to its popularity. Great gun for a novice. I got a Gen 5 with night sights over the summer for around $600.

The only reason I don't keep this in my nightstand is there's no reason to replace the other Glock. Also, I keep a light on the one in my nightstand, while I carry the 19.
[Reply]
bigjosh 04:05 AM 11-24-2018
I’m with frazod. Nothing beats the simplicity of a common glock handgun. It’s a reliable, straight shooter with no extra controls to get in the way. (No external safety, decocker, or hammer.)
[Reply]
GloryDayz 07:57 AM 11-24-2018
I'll toss-in my Walther PPX.. Very simple, very reliable, fits my hand perfectly, shoots very well. I bought it in the 9mm variant simply because of ammo prices. Based on what I can figure, I have ~3000 rounds through it without a single jam.

If a have a complaint it's that I have the navy version, and I have to make sure I tighten the barrel thread protector. It's hardly an uncommon problem with threaded barrels, and I could solve it with a bottle of nail polish or model paint, but I just haven't bothered.

Sent from my 9+ using Tapatalk
[Reply]
bdj23 08:01 AM 11-24-2018
G19 is a fine handgun, although some dont like the ergonomics and claim they are boring.

I have a g26 which is a subcompact version of the 19. I like it a lot.
[Reply]
Pointer19 08:14 AM 11-24-2018
Originally Posted by BDj23:
G19 is a fine handgun, although some dont like the ergonomics and claim they are boring.

I have a g26 which is a subcompact version of the 19. I like it a lot.
If only using it for HD, I’d recommend a full size over a compact. Less recoil and no need to conceal it.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 08:30 AM 11-24-2018

For me, it’s a 1911 on the nightstand. However, when the kids were at home, I kept a 20 gauge (buckshot) by the bed.

Don’t sweat the small stuff.....a 410 shell (if loaded correctly) WILL stop an intruder. And, let’s be honest here....any “bad guy” that breaks into a home - as soon as the first shot goes off - if he isn’t hit - he is crapping his pants and heading for the door.... :-)
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 08:59 AM 11-24-2018
Glock
Springfield XDM
Smith & Wesson M&P

These 3 guns you can get with no external safety, simple to operate and all 3 are very reliable. Get them in 9mm and they are easy to control and you are able to follow up quickly with more shots if necessary.

Of course the sound of a shotgun slide racking closed will scare the shit out of everyone. A 20 gauge pump will do the job, most people go 12 but inside the house your range will be close enough that 20 will work just fine.

Get whatever you are comfortable with, when you are in a high stress situation, being comfortable with whatever tool you use is very important. So whatever you decide to get make sure you practice and get it cleaned up after you use it
[Reply]
notorious 09:15 AM 11-24-2018
Shotguns are near perfect for home defense.

They are as simple as it gets, have a ton of spread out energy making it easier to hit what you are shooting at. You can also mix in spread rounds with concentrated rounds. There is less chance of a round going through the wall and hurting a loved one, too.

The downside is they are larger, and cleanup will be a bitch.

I perceive the pump sound as a negative. It alerts people you are around.
[Reply]
Dunit35 10:27 AM 11-24-2018

That's pretty sexy, not going to lie. But at a cool grand, a little more than I want to go in for.

Made me think of this -
KSG runs around seven bills if you’re patient. That’s what I paid for one a few years ago.

I carry a S&W 2.0 in 9mm on duty. I had a Glock prior. That S&W is by far my favorite pistol I’ve ever owned. The trigger is beast and feels great in my hand. Some don’t like the rough textured grip though. I love it.

If I loved modern firearms I’d own the 2.0 in 4” as well.
[Reply]
Page 133 of 341
« First < 3383123129130131132133 134135136137143183233 > Last »
Up