ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 35 of 62
« First < 253132333435 3637383945 > Last »
Media Center>Science Fiction and Fantasy Books Only Thread
Buck 07:05 PM 03-20-2012
There is a great thread in the lounge about Books in general, but to be honest, all I really want to read is Sci-Fi (including post-apocalyptic), and Fantasy.

In this OP I will compile every poster's top 3 Fantasy/SciFi suggestions if they give me them. I will try to keep the posters in alphabetical order in case you want to find someone's suggestions easier.

CP POSTER SUGGESTIONS

Baby Lee
1. Fritz Lieber's Swords Against series.
2. George R.R. Martin's SoIaF series [no brainer that will probably make tons of other lists]
3. Umberto Eco, Foucalt's Pendulum [a little more obscure/forgotten to make up for GRRM]

Frosty
1.Raymond Feist - Riftwar Saga
2.Terry Brooks - Shannara series (starting with the Knight of the Word books)
3.Tad Williams - Memory, Sorrow and Thorn

Huffmeister
(1) Dune - Frank Herbert
(2) The Stand - Stephen King (1000+ page unabridged)
(3) Starship Troopers - Robert A. Heinlein (checkout the song by Yes, too. lots of great bass)

Jawshco
1. "Book of the Long Sun" by Gene Wolfe
2. "Paradise War" by Stephen R Lawhead
3. "The Dragonbone Chair" by Tad Williams

listopencil
1. Edgar Rice Burroughs, any series
2. Robert Heinlein, everything he has written in chronological order (but read Starship Troopers first)
3. Doc Smith's Lensman series

vailpass
1. The Science Fiction Hall of Fame Volume 1, 2A & 2B books are a gold mine for sampling the evolution of sci-fi. (below)
2.The Nebula Awards and Hugo Awards (selected yearly, pick a year)
3. Years Best SF Annual publication, pick any volume from 1 to the current volume 17
See Post 142
[Reply]
ShiftyEyedWaterboy 09:28 PM 02-16-2018
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Shit, you're hooked from Gardens of the Moon?

You're in for a real treat.
Yeah, I was surprised I liked it that much based off of what I was hearing. :-)

Everyone was telling me to “tough it out” with GotM.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:45 PM 02-16-2018
Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy:

It's a tough read, I think, in that it bounced so much and is "hard" fantasy, similar to "hard" scifi.
[Reply]
Bowser 10:21 PM 02-16-2018
Stephenson's best, imho, was Cryptonomicon with Reamde coming in a close second (didn't think I'd like that one at all). Seveneves was good to very good, but not his best.
[Reply]
patteeu 10:25 PM 02-16-2018
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Stephenson's best, imho, was Cryptonomicon with Reamde coming in a close second (didn't think I'd like that one at all). Seveneves was good to very good, but not his best.
I agree with Cryptonomicon. The Diamond Age was one of my favorites too, although it's been a long time since I read it.
[Reply]
Indian Chief 01:12 AM 02-18-2018

I too enjoyed GotM. There are many other series that had tougher books to get through. (I'm looking at you Robert Jordan. :-))
[Reply]
ShiftyEyedWaterboy 06:48 AM 02-18-2018
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
It's a tough read, I think, in that it bounced so much and is "hard" fantasy, similar to "hard" scifi.
I’m used to the bouncing around. The ending did feel just a little anticlimactic but it’s a ten-part series. Some of the magic/warrens and gods stuff was hard to follow but I found some spoiler free guides that helped along with the appendix.
[Reply]
Indian Chief 02:22 AM 02-21-2018
I’m used to the bouncing around. The ending did feel just a little anticlimactic but it’s a ten-part series. Some of the magic/warrens and gods stuff was hard to follow but I found some spoiler free guides that helped along with the appendix.
I'm halfway through Memories of Ice (book 3) and I finally have the Gods and the warrens down pat. I think. I'm pretty sure 'Hood's balls!' is one of them.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 07:26 AM 02-21-2018
Originally Posted by Indian Chief:
I'm halfway through Memories of Ice (book 3) and I finally have the Gods and the warrens down pat. I think. I'm pretty sure 'Hood's balls!' is one of them.

Sweet. Next you get to learn about Holds.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 08:42 AM 02-22-2018
Pretty decent discussion group on FB for MBOTF.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2224881237/
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 08:42 AM 02-22-2018
Oh, and Steven Erikson is a MUST follow on FB.
[Reply]
vailpass 01:30 PM 02-22-2018
Anyone read The Underground Railway, 2017 Arthur C. Clarke award winner as Sci-Fi Book of the Year?

*sigh* Not science fiction at all.
[Reply]
Miles 10:52 PM 02-23-2018
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Anyone read The Underground Railway, 2017 Arthur C. Clarke award winner as Sci-Fi Book of the Year?

*sigh* Not science fiction at all.
Noticed when it won it sounded like historical fiction.
[Reply]
ShiftyEyedWaterboy 11:27 PM 02-23-2018
Originally Posted by Miles:
Noticed when it won it sounded like historical fiction.
People will attach “sci fi” to just about anything these days.
[Reply]
vailpass 09:12 AM 02-26-2018
People will attach “sci fi” to just about anything these days.
Maybe but the A.C. Clarke Award committee isn't just "people", or it didn't used to be. They carry one of the most prestigious names in sci-fi and their short list has been a reliable source of good-to-great sci-fi reading for a very long time.
It saddens me to see they've allowed their good name and standards to be lowered in a ham-handed attempt at social justice engineering.
[Reply]
keg in kc 11:19 AM 02-28-2018
I haven't read it, but if what I've read about it is true, that being it mixes historical fact with fantastical imagery, similar to something like Gulliver's Travels, then I don't see an issue with awarding it a genre award.

As far as whether it's pure "scifi" goes, fantasy and science fiction have been intertwined for decades now, and the trip to horror isn't very far beyond them. Science fiction, taken by itself, can basically borrow from/fall into any genre, from history to thriller to noir to western to fantasy to post-apocalyptic to far-future, etc.

Really, what difference does it make. It sounds like an amazing book.
[Reply]
Page 35 of 62
« First < 253132333435 3637383945 > Last »
Up