« First < 354142434445 46 >
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Lucas Niang Thread*****
Dante84 09:31 PM 04-24-2020
More to come in 2021

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Bowser 10:37 AM 03-07-2023
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Who is this Niang kid? Does he play football?
Does this Niang live close to you?
[Reply]
BleedingRed 10:39 AM 03-07-2023
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Does this Niang live close to you?
I belize we drafted him
[Reply]
Dunerdr 10:40 AM 03-07-2023
Does anyone have a break down of his actual injury history? I mean hes only a second year player going into his third for us. It was a hip his senior year at tcu or whatever, opt out then the pattelar? Am i missing something? Seems like i am.
[Reply]
KC_Lee 10:40 AM 03-07-2023
Who is this Niang kid? Does he play football?
He's the Schrödinger's cat of Chiefs' players, he does and does not exist.
[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 10:49 AM 03-07-2023
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Lol, he can't stay healthy. Hasn't been healthy for an entire season, ever. Last season he only played in 7 games.

He's a lost cause. I think Andy could keep him as a back-up for 2023, assuming he can handle that much of a load, but in reality, his potential as a starter is probably non-existent at this point.

And if his ceiling is "every bit as good as Wylie," we really need to move on from the guy next season.
He got fully healthy and played snaps plus special teams without any issues but Andy was never gonna replace Wylie so deep into the year so your post is not accurate. Everyone knows about the health concerns but isn't the same true about Toney? Hell Mahomes has had injury issues almost every season he's played too. With Niang knowing the system, being only 24 on a cheap contract and having familiarity with Smith and Pat I just think it makes sense. Of course still bring in a cheap vet for cover but it would be wise to see what our third round pick can do now with full health and a good pre-season to build from.
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 10:57 AM 03-07-2023
Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger:
He got fully healthy and played snaps plus special teams without any issues but Andy was never gonna replace Wylie so deep into the year so your post is not accurate. Everyone knows about the health concerns but isn't the same true about Toney? Hell Mahomes has had injury issues almost every season he's played too. With Niang knowing the system, being only 24 on a cheap contract and having familiarity with Smith and Pat I just think it makes sense. Of course still bring in a cheap vet for cover but it would be wise to see what our third round pick can do now with full health and a good pre-season to build from.
Yep, they’ve spent 3 years developing Niang, and he appears to finally be healthy. I definitely think he’ll be given every opportunity to win the starting RT job. Won’t be handed to him, but he’s going to be first in line if we lose Wylie.

This is how the Chiefs have to operate. They have to get production out of their high draft picks at some point, they aren’t just drafting guys for depth. They expect them to start sooner than later, and Niang’s time is now or never.
[Reply]
tmax63 11:00 AM 03-07-2023
He had a major hip problem that was fixed and he took the Covid year to get fully healthy from it, think redshirt year that didn't use a year of his contract. Then he had the knee injury the end of 2021. Bad luck he had the knee injury just as he was getting going from the other. I still see a chance that he can be a good tackle for KC but another injury would end my optimism. 2 injuries doesn't make him a "brokedick" in my book but another season-ender probably would.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:06 AM 03-07-2023
The difference between Toney or any other WR and an offensive tackle is that if Toney goes down, you have a whole room full of guys that have already been on the field and can take those snaps.

If Niang goes down, especially if they let Wylie go, you're looking at a much more difficult situation.

I'm not saying they shouldn't give Niang a chance. I'm just saying they shouldn't count on him to provide anything. If they let Wylie walk, they HAVE to sign a vet, just for insurance.
[Reply]
Megatron96 11:07 AM 03-07-2023
Can't really bring Toney's situation into this. Toney came in mid-season and played meaningful snaps almost from the get-go. Dinged his hammy after two games(?), but the staff kept him off the field for four weeks or whatever it was, not (apparently) Toney. Toney said he was fine after just a week and a half. Tweaked his ankle in the playoffs, but he didn't miss anything but the rest of that game, right?

And I'm not saying cut Niang loose. Just that I doubt he ever is the starter at RT long-term. Especially if he's just Wylie.
[Reply]
Skyy God 11:24 AM 03-07-2023
If he’s finally healthy enough, hell yes.

He’s cheap for 2 more years.
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 11:40 AM 03-07-2023
The difference between Toney or any other WR and an offensive tackle is that if Toney goes down, you have a whole room full of guys that have already been on the field and can take those snaps.

If Niang goes down, especially if they let Wylie go, you're looking at a much more difficult situation.

I'm not saying they shouldn't give Niang a chance. I'm just saying they shouldn't count on him to provide anything. If they let Wylie walk, they HAVE to sign a vet, just for insurance.
I'm sure a Remmers/Geoff Schwartz type signing will be included in our minimal free agent activity.

I think we've got a pretty clear pattern now on how they want to operate. Not to say Veach won't throw some wild cards in there, but we get the general idea, and it makes sense. Draft high ceiling guys, round out the roster with solid vets in case the kids don't turn out. It's been the proven method for sustained success in the NFL when you have a franchise QB.
[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 11:41 AM 03-07-2023
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Can't really bring Toney's situation into this. Toney came in mid-season and played meaningful snaps almost from the get-go. Dinged his hammy after two games(?), but the staff kept him off the field for four weeks or whatever it was, not (apparently) Toney. Toney said he was fine after just a week and a half. Tweaked his ankle in the playoffs, but he didn't miss anything but the rest of that game, right?

And I'm not saying cut Niang loose. Just that I doubt he ever is the starter at RT long-term. Especially if he's just Wylie.
I'm talking about Toney's history. Injured in college, injured in NY and also with the Chiefs. Niang got an injury in college but has only had one injury with the Chiefs and when he got back healthy Andy made him sit because Wylie was already settled in the RT spot. So he's actually been healthy for a while now in reality.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:42 AM 03-07-2023
I'm talking about Toney's history. Injured in college, injured in NY and also with the Chiefs. Niang got an injury in college but has only had one injury with the Chiefs and when he got back healthy Andy made him sit because Wylie was already settled in the RT spot. So he's actually been healthy for a while now in reality.
He's missed a ton of games already. And even when he did play, he wasn't that good.

I have no problem with them giving him a shot at RT. He shouldn't be handed anything at this point. He's a backup until he proves otherwise.
[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 11:51 AM 03-07-2023
He's missed a ton of games already. And even when he did play, he wasn't that good.

I have no problem with them giving him a shot at RT. He shouldn't be handed anything at this point. He's a backup until he proves otherwise.
He started rough and Bosa gave him a tough time when we lost to the Bolts at home. But the more he played the better he got and he shut down Bosa in the OT win we got in the second game. I think they will bring in a cheap vet but give Niang every opportunity to claim that spot once again.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:24 PM 03-07-2023
He started rough and Bosa gave him a tough time when we lost to the Bolts at home. But the more he played the better he got and he shut down Bosa in the OT win we got in the second game. I think they will bring in a cheap vet but give Niang every opportunity to claim that spot once again.
Yeah, I agree. As I said before, I think if they're going to try Niang as the starter at RT, they have to go get a backup that can play when/if he gets hurt.
[Reply]
Page 45 of 46
« First < 354142434445 46 >
Up