ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3164 of 3903
« First < 2164266430643114315431603161316231633164 31653166316731683174321432643664 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Easy 6 12:03 PM 11-20-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Disappointing that I'm aware of demographic trends?
I get it, you're one of those who thinks a college degree somehow confers upon you superior intelligence in all facets of life... geographic snobbery at its finest, thanks for letting us know where you stand
[Reply]
O.city 12:04 PM 11-20-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Thank you, then. I apologize.

I know better than to look at this thread anyway. It's all a bunch of elitists mask shaming people, despite the fact that they have ZERO clue what's going in each of our own communities.

It's all about sewing division and hatred. Race, religion, education, economics, any way you can denigrate someone else, that's what this is all about.
I’m a rural cat myself. My area I grew up in and the one we currently live is having issues with all the stuff you mentioned. Been sad to see.
[Reply]
DaFace 12:04 PM 11-20-2020

I know better than to look at this thread anyway. It's all a bunch of elitists mask shaming people, despite the fact that they have ZERO clue what's going in each of our own communities.

It's all about sewing division and hatred. Race, religion, education, economics, any way you can denigrate someone else, that's what this is all about.
Do I get an apology too for you accusing me of promoting "geo class warfare" and being "elitist" by posting a damn chart?
[Reply]
Donger 12:04 PM 11-20-2020
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
I get it, you're one of those who thinks a college degree somehow confers upon you superior intelligence in all facets of life... geographic snobbery at its finest, thanks for letting us know where you stand
He didn't mention intelligence.
[Reply]
O.city 12:05 PM 11-20-2020
I uh think you read more into what he was saying than he meant?
[Reply]
dirk digler 12:06 PM 11-20-2020

I live in rural mo as I have said and most of my family does as well. It is more than just masks they don't believe in any public health measures in regards to Covid. Take away masks it would be something else. Shit I have alot of family that think this is all hoax.
[Reply]
DaFace 12:07 PM 11-20-2020
You seem to be forming a habit of projecting your insecurities on me.
[Reply]
Rain Man 12:16 PM 11-20-2020
I have a hunch that there are several factors at play in urban/rural mask wearing. I think a lot of rural areas are getting hit later just because the virus has taken longer to reach those areas, which in turn made rural areas more skeptical of the need for masks. Now it's hitting those areas and they'll adjust.

I think there's possibly an impression that the virus spreads slower in rural areas due to population density, but I bet that's not true. Rural areas still have density in towns and people still interact. Maybe it's a bit slower, but I bet the difference is scant.

I think rural areas have also been more receptive to anti-mask messaging for reasons that aren't allowed in this thread, and it'll take them time to recognize that and adjust their thinking.

That said, my home town gets a face palm for some idiot mom organizing a big dance because "she all don't believe in that thar virus and them thar kids shuld have them some fun". https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...der-event.html.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 12:17 PM 11-20-2020
Dan Price
@DanPriceSeattle
My company processes payments for 20,000 small businesses

In the first lockdown, their revenue fell 55%. They got 8 weeks of PPP loans for a 36-week pandemic. Those that survived are hanging on by a thread.

Another lockdown without aid will wipe small biz off the map completely
[Reply]
Donger 12:17 PM 11-20-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I think rural areas have also been more receptive to anti-mask messaging for reasons that aren't allowed in this thread
Yes, the numbers are pretty clear on that.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 12:24 PM 11-20-2020
first, sowing.

second, it's an emotional coping mechanism. So while it's disappointing, I try to give them slack.

If they need to lash out at 'others' in order to relieve stress, think of it as a passive service you are providing them.
[Reply]
dirk digler 12:26 PM 11-20-2020
I have a hunch that there are several factors at play in urban/rural mask wearing. I think a lot of rural areas are getting hit later just because the virus has taken longer to reach those areas, which in turn made rural areas more skeptical of the need for masks. Now it's hitting those areas and they'll adjust.

I think there's possibly an impression that the virus spreads slower in rural areas due to population density, but I bet that's not true. Rural areas still have density in towns and people still interact. Maybe it's a bit slower, but I bet the difference is scant.

I think rural areas have also been more receptive to anti-mask messaging for reasons that aren't allowed in this thread, and it'll take them time to recognize that and adjust their thinking.

That said, my home town gets a face palm for some idiot mom organizing a big dance because "she all don't believe in that thar virus and them thar kids shuld have them some fun". https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...der-event.html.
Living in a rural area I would give it a 1% chance they would adjust to any public health measures. Not to say there aren't people like me who do follow the guidelines but we are the clear minority. I think that ship has sailed at this point.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:27 PM 11-20-2020

The biggest issue we have here with masks is not "anti-mask" rhetoric.

It's people that don't fear a virus. Hell, they don't fear putting heroin or meth in their body so why would they wear a mask?

And guess what, those people HATE the source of the "anti-mask" message, so that's not it.
[Reply]
Rain Man 12:38 PM 11-20-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Living in a rural area I would give it a 1% chance they would adjust to any public health measures. Not to say there aren't people like me who do follow the guidelines but we are the clear minority. I think that ship has sailed at this point.
Well, that's no good.

I routinely work with public health officials and they're doing their jobs. It's bizarre to me that people won't listen to their recommendations.

The biggest issue we have here with masks is not "anti-mask" rhetoric.

It's people that don't fear a virus. Hell, they don't fear putting heroin or meth in their body so why would they wear a mask?

And guess what, those people HATE the source of the "anti-mask" message, so that's not it.

It's probably different in different areas. My wife is from Iowa and I have a different perception of rural Iowa than rural Missouri. (Of course, she's from Iowa City which is not exactly rural nor typical of Iowa, so I've got imperfect information.)

I actually know the person whose Facebook post is quoted in the article that I linked. She's a nice person and is thoughtful, so I was surprised at her stance. But I see a lot of posts from my hometown friends in Missouri that are far more dogmatic than thoughtful, and it's pretty disappointing to see. I think you're right in that they don't fear a virus, but I more often hear "can't make me" arguments than health arguments from them. I'm charitably trying to conclude that it's just because the virus didn't hit their communities in force when the protective measures were being proposed, in which case they didn't see the need.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:43 PM 11-20-2020
It's probably different in different areas. My wife is from Iowa and I have a different perception of rural Iowa than rural Missouri. (Of course, she's from Iowa City which is not exactly rural nor typical of Iowa, so I've got imperfect information.)

I actually know the person whose Facebook post is quoted in the article that I linked. She's a nice person and is thoughtful, so I was surprised at her stance. But I see a lot of posts from my hometown friends in Missouri that are far more dogmatic than thoughtful, and it's pretty disappointing to see. I think you're right in that they don't fear a virus, but I more often hear "can't make me" arguments than health arguments from them. I'm charitably trying to conclude that it's just because the virus didn't hit their communities in force when the protective measures were being proposed, in which case they didn't see the need.
After going on a rant about elitism, it's a bit hypocritical of me to go here but I simply can't think of any other way to say it.

Responsible people, on both sides of the political aisle, are wearing masks here by and large. I hear very, very little "individual liberty" arguments. People grumble about it but they're still wearing masks at the end of the day.

We have a certain segment of rural/small town people though, and I'm sure Missouri and other places are no different, and you know who they are - they show up to Walmart in their Grinch pajama bottoms in the middle of July, smoking a cigarette as they walk through the door, and looking (and smelling) like they haven't slept or showered in days.

Those are the people that don't wear masks and no amount of messaging is going to cure it. They don't care. They care about scoring and making kids. That's about it.
[Reply]
Page 3164 of 3903
« First < 2164266430643114315431603161316231633164 31653166316731683174321432643664 > Last »
Up