ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2714 of 3903
« First < 1714221426142664270427102711271227132714 271527162717271827242764281432143714 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
dirk digler 01:53 PM 07-25-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Dirk you were taking about the school studies, I think the Iceland one was the best. They looked at the genetics of where each positive got it.

Thanks I just read some of it. It kind of mirrors the SK study where under 10 seem less likely.

Btw here is tweet thread from an epidemiologist who went over the latest school\child studies.

[Reply]
petegz28 01:53 PM 07-25-2020
Okay so the two had filled out paperwork but never got tested. Not sure how they got notified and not sure if it was a drive-up test like the one was or not

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 02:00 PM 07-25-2020
Michael Levitt
@MLevitt_NP2013
US COVID19 will be done in 4 weeks with a total reported death below 170,000. How will we know it is over? Like for Europe, when all cause excess deaths are at normal level for week. Reported COVID19 deaths may continue after 25 Aug. & reported cases will, but it will be over.
[Reply]
Donger 02:08 PM 07-25-2020
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
Michael Levitt
@MLevitt_NP2013
US COVID19 will be done in 4 weeks with a total reported death below 170,000. How will we know it is over? Like for Europe, when all cause excess deaths are at normal level for week. Reported COVID19 deaths may continue after 25 Aug. & reported cases will, but it will be over.
Yes, that makes complete sense.
[Reply]
lewdog 02:39 PM 07-25-2020
I am willing to donate my plasma for convalescent plasma in treatment for COVID. I don't know much about donating plasma in general. Does anyone here do it?
[Reply]
DaFace 02:41 PM 07-25-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
:-)

Don't be a coward and just call out pete for being a liar.
I wasn't implying he was lying. However, he does have a tendency of taking things at face value without actually trying to understand the reality of the situation, which is why I was asking what exactly was actually known vs. what was conjecture.
[Reply]
AustinChief 03:07 PM 07-25-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Yes, that makes complete sense.
Actually it makes more sense than you obviously are giving it credit for. While it is hyperbole to state something like this is "over" it is reasonable to use excess deaths as a more accurate gauge than what we are currently using for reporting. When you have a disease that is so heavily weighted toward the elderly with comorbidities, there is going to be a certain skew to the data that can be overcome by looking at excess deaths. For example, an 85 year old with cancer that gets covid and dies, or a 90 year old with severe diabetes has covid and dies. You are going to count them as COVID deaths because there is no way to know on an individual basis how long each would live... but by looking at excess deaths we can see on a larger scale how the numbers are truly playing out.

It isn't perfect though because it doesn't account for immediate lockdown related increases (abuse, suicide, etc) or lockdown related decreases (dui, etc) and the of course it all gets skewed down the road due to the number of people who have ignored other health issues due to fear of going to a doctor or the hospital.
[Reply]
KCUnited 03:18 PM 07-25-2020
So are we all gathering on mt stoopid looking down on the cdc just for school reopenings or the rest of the other stuff they've said as well?
[Reply]
Demonpenz 03:19 PM 07-25-2020
Salvy and Solar back to back.
[Reply]
Donger 03:24 PM 07-25-2020
Originally Posted by AustinChief:
Actually it makes more sense than you obviously are giving it credit for. While it is hyperbole to state something like this is "over" it is reasonable to use excess deaths as a more accurate gauge than what we are currently using for reporting. When you have a disease that is so heavily weighted toward the elderly with comorbidities, there is going to be a certain skew to the data that can be overcome by looking at excess deaths. For example, an 85 year old with cancer that gets covid and dies, or a 90 year old with severe diabetes has covid and dies. You are going to count them as COVID deaths because there is no way to know on an individual basis how long each would live... but by looking at excess deaths we can see on a larger scale how the numbers are truly playing out.

It isn't perfect though because it doesn't account for immediate lockdown related increases (abuse, suicide, etc) or lockdown related decreases (dui, etc) and the of course it all gets skewed down the road due to the number of people who have ignored other health issues due to fear of going to a doctor or the hospital.
Yes, it's rather hyperbolic to say it will be over in four weeks when we are presently seeing new daily cases three times what is was. In March. We are also seeing a rather dramatic uptick in new deaths, which follows the new case growth.

Hopefully, we can get that under control to some extent soon.
[Reply]
AustinChief 03:36 PM 07-25-2020
Yes, it's rather hyperbolic to say it will be over in four weeks when we are presently seeing new daily cases three times what is was. In March. We are also seeing a rather dramatic uptick in new deaths, which follows the new case growth.

Hopefully, we can get that under control to some extent soon.
So, clearly you missed the entire point being made by me about excess deaths as a metric.

If you instead just care to attack his premise as being ridiculous... it depends on what he means by "over." If you look at UK data they were on an upswing until they hit a peak and 4 weeks later were clearly halfway down the curve to normal death rates (actually slightly lower). So, 4 weeks is not at all a ridiculous timeframe. I don't personally have that point of view mostly because I look at the US regionally or state by state, I'm not really concerned with the overall picture as it doesn't really mean much data wise. It would not be out the question though for enough of the US to be over the curve that the areas that are not there yet would have little effect on the overall picture. (It's not my belief that it will happen in that timeframe but somewhat plausible)
[Reply]
Donger 03:54 PM 07-25-2020
So, clearly you missed the entire point being made by me about excess deaths as a metric.

If you instead just care to attack his premise as being ridiculous... it depends on what he means by "over." If you look at UK data they were on an upswing until they hit a peak and 4 weeks later were clearly halfway down the curve to normal death rates (actually slightly lower). So, 4 weeks is not at all a ridiculous timeframe. I don't personally have that point of view mostly because I look at the US regionally or state by state, I'm not really concerned with the overall picture as it doesn't really mean much data wise. It would not be out the question though for enough of the US to be over the curve that the areas that are not there yet would have little effect on the overall picture. (It's not my belief that it will happen in that timeframe but somewhat plausible)
No, I didn't miss it. I just haven't seen any indication that we're going to see excess deaths get to near zero in four weeks.

What we are seeing is substantial new case growth, and we are beginning to see new death growth.

The UK doesn't look anything like us.
[Reply]
AustinChief 04:05 PM 07-25-2020
No, I didn't miss it. I just haven't seen any indication that we're going to see excess deaths get to near zero in four weeks.

What we are seeing is substantial new case growth, and we are beginning to see new death growth.

The UK doesn't look anything like us.
That simply may be a function of our political structure. It would be more accurate to compare the UK (or other country) to an individual state like New York etc...

And to be clear, he is not referencing excess deaths overall but on a weekly basis(I think). It will be closer to 6 months or even a year(possibly longer but with the heavy weighting toward the elderly it should be relatively quick) before the excess deaths overall are back in line.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Donger 04:09 PM 07-25-2020
That simply may be a function of our political structure. It would be more accurate to compare the UK (or other country) to an individual state like New York etc...

And to be clear, he is not referencing excess deaths overall but on a weekly basis(I think). It will be closer to 6 months or even a year(possibly longer but with the heavy weighting toward the elderly it should be relatively quick) before the excess deaths overall are back in line.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
No, it's a function of comparing numbers. Yes, the UK curve looks much like New York's. It looks nothing like the US' (now) curves.

I looked that guy up. I'm not sure that I'd give his predictions much credence, to be blunt:

https://www.latimes.com/science/stor...nobel-laureate

March 23, 2020
9:13 PM

Michael Levitt, a Nobel laureate and Stanford biophysicist, began analyzing the number of COVID-19 cases worldwide in January and correctly calculated that China would get through the worst of its coronavirus outbreak long before many health experts had predicted.

Now he foresees a similar outcome in the United States and the rest of the world.

While many epidemiologists are warning of months, or even years, of massive social disruption and millions of deaths, Levitt says the data simply don’t support such a dire scenario — especially in areas where reasonable social distancing measures are in place.

“What we need is to control the panic,” he said. In the grand scheme, “we’re going to be fine.”

https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/no...-deaths-621407

Nobel laureate: surprised if Israel has more than 10 coronavirus deaths
Israeli Nobel Prize winner Michael Levitt has predicted that no more than ten Israelis will succumb to COVID-19 – and even less with the new restrictions – since the number of cases is so few.

[Reply]
MahomesMagic 08:27 PM 07-25-2020
No, it's a function of comparing numbers. Yes, the UK curve looks much like New York's. It looks nothing like the US' (now) curves.

I looked that guy up. I'm not sure that I'd give his predictions much credence, to be blunt:

https://www.latimes.com/science/stor...nobel-laureate

March 23, 2020
9:13 PM

Michael Levitt, a Nobel laureate and Stanford biophysicist, began analyzing the number of COVID-19 cases worldwide in January and correctly calculated that China would get through the worst of its coronavirus outbreak long before many health experts had predicted.

Now he foresees a similar outcome in the United States and the rest of the world.

While many epidemiologists are warning of months, or even years, of massive social disruption and millions of deaths, Levitt says the data simply don’t support such a dire scenario — especially in areas where reasonable social distancing measures are in place.

“What we need is to control the panic,” he said. In the grand scheme, “we’re going to be fine.”

https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/no...-deaths-621407

Nobel laureate: surprised if Israel has more than 10 coronavirus deaths
Israeli Nobel Prize winner Michael Levitt has predicted that no more than ten Israelis will succumb to COVID-19 – and even less with the new restrictions – since the number of cases is so few.
He nailed China and Sweden. He said they would get to about 6000. Meanwhile, Imperial College and IHME predicted 90000 to 100000 dead in Sweden by July 1st.

Levitt> Neil "Bird Flu" Ferguson
[Reply]
Page 2714 of 3903
« First < 1714221426142664270427102711271227132714 271527162717271827242764281432143714 > Last »
Up