ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 36 of 791
« First < 263233343536 373839404686136536 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>2019 Free agency Thread
O.city 03:24 PM 02-05-2019
We don't really have one of these yet, so figured we could use this as a place to discuss potential free agent acquisitions and what we would like to look for them to bring in.

If any of you guys are interested, heres a good place to do some research.

https://overthecap.com/
[Reply]
Kiimo 05:20 PM 02-19-2019
And he wouldn't win in Indy? It's not like they don't also have a chance to win a Super Bowl. And they have a lot more cap room. I mean, you could dream that Flowers would give up money to come to your town but I bet more on the idea that a person who just won a Super Bowl goes to free agency to get as much money as he can. If it's a winning team, well that's a bonus. You guys must think we are galaxies beyond Indy. Luck isn't Mahomes but that's a quality team and organization suddenly.
[Reply]
SAUTO 05:21 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
And he wouldn't win in Indy? It's not like they don't also have a chance to win a Super Bowl. And they have a lot more cap room. I mean, you could dream that Flowers would give up money to come to your town but I bet more on the idea that a person who just won a Super Bowl goes to free agency to get as much money as he can. If it's a winning team, well that's a bonus. You guys must think we are galaxies beyond Indy. Luck isn't Mahomes but that's a quality team and organization suddenly.
Who knows?

I would think our window is much more open than theirs
[Reply]
Kiimo 05:23 PM 02-19-2019
The only good point I think I've read on here today (including my own) is that Ford and Houston might both need to play the same position as RDE. That's important.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 05:23 PM 02-19-2019
Houston could play SAM.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 05:24 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
So Indy, also adapting into a 4-3, thinks Ford is going to put them over the top even though Ballard knows all about him? so people in this thread know more than Ballard?

I guess my point is, if Dee Ford is so valuable to Indy that Ballard (candidate for GM of the year) is willing to pay a high draft pick for him then my opinion is Ballard knows more than all of you and we should definitely keep Ford.
Didn't Ballard help draft him?

shrug.

I have no doubt at all that Ballard knows more than me. He fucking better. I'm a college drop-out flunky guitar player, he's an NFL General Manager.

It's about two things though, as I see it, from my couch.

1)fit. Does the player give you something you need, that your team has been lacking, does he fit what you want to do?
2) Can you afford him?

As for #1, that'd be up to Ballard. Indy played the run pretty well but didn't have shit for pass rush. As for #2, Indy has shitloads of cap room; although it should be noted, they have a lot of holes to fill as well.

As we're all arm-chair GM-ing, I ask you- would you rather have a 25 year old Trey Flowers and his run and pass rush abilities, with no signifigant injury history on a 4 or 5 year deal for roughly the same money as Ford's tag PLUS probably a #2 pick, or would you rather play Ford on the tag for $16 m, kick the can down the road for next year and have to pay him more like $18m because now he's a DE and that's IF he plays well and is healthy?

Because I think you could very get Flowers on that sort of deal. And he's solid as the day is long as an all-around good DE. And with an extra #2 you have 4 picks in the first two rounds. I think that has a really good chance of making your football team a lot better.
[Reply]
-King- 05:27 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
Yes. He's THAT much better.
What exactly makes him that much better? Before going to the Redskins many people had Haha was a top 3 safety in the league last year. And he's a year removed from a 2nd team all pro season. I don't think the gap between the two of them is big enough that a 4th round pick will get it done for Haha but a 2nd isn't enough for Collins.
[Reply]
BossChief 05:32 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
So for everybody in favor of keeping Ford, are you putting the ER tag on him to prevent him from negotiating with other teams?
No. If another team signs him, we get picks.
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
In college, he missed 2 games every year except for the medical redshirt year in which he missed 9 games. Last year was the first year he was fully healthy for 16 games. Add that to his pro career and you're going on 10 years, 2 of which he was available for every game.

He's had multiple knee injuries AND back injuries.

What makes you think he'll be able to play like 2018 again in 2019 considering he's literally never done it?
So that means he’s gonna miss “a handful” of games next year...which has only happened once in 5 years?

I think you are exaggerating the injury issues.
[Reply]
SAUTO 05:36 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by -King-:
What exactly makes him that much better? Before going to the Redskins many people had Haha was a top 3 safety in the league last year. And he's a year removed from a 2nd team all pro season. I don't think the gap between the two of them is big enough that a 4th round pick will get it done for Haha but a 2nd isn't enough for Collins.
Who was calling ha ha a top 3 safety? I might've missed that.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 05:37 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Houston could play SAM.
Weren't you one of the people throwing a fit about Houston being in coverage?

Better get used to it. The SAM is not a pass rush spot in a 4-3 under. He'll be covering TE's and backs out of the flat as well as helping contain in the run game. You can blitz him some, but really only occasionally.

It negates Houston's strength, which is being a pass rusher and forces him to be a run stuffer and coverage linebacker. At $21 million dollars that's a really poor allocation of funds.

"but we'll be in nickel a lot" yeah, probably; like at least 60% of the time. So you want to pay a guy $21 million dollars or LITERALLY 10% of your entire cap to do the thing he's good at on 60% of snaps. Not even that really, you want to put him in the position in which he could POSSIBLY do the thing he's good at if the offense decides to attempt a pass.

This is all my opinion, but I do understand what the roles are for 4-3 LB'ers. Houston is able to play SAM although a poor value at it. He's still expensive at RDE, but if you tag and trade Ford I can stomach that at least.
[Reply]
SAUTO 05:39 PM 02-19-2019
What percentage did Houston rush the passer the past couple years?
[Reply]
Chris Meck 05:40 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Ask Green Bay for #30.
fuck yeah I'd do that. But GB never signs big money FA's.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 05:42 PM 02-19-2019
Man. We were in different books the past couple days but we woke up on the same page today...
we were just focusing on different aspects of an argument that doesn't matter anyway going forward. That's why we moved on. :-)
[Reply]
Chris Meck 05:46 PM 02-19-2019
What percentage did Houston rush the passer the past couple years?
I don't know exactly but I seem to remember seeing something like he was in coverage like 22 or 23 % or something.

So that number would go up a LOT as a 4-3 SAM. So you could reasonably expect his sack and pressure numbers to go way down.

However, and this is a thought-as a RDE, he would almost never be in coverage unless it was some exotic zone blitz, so you could expect his sack numbers and pressure stats to go UP as he would always be rushing on a pass play.

IF he's healthy of course. So I think it'd be a lock that a healthy (ahem) Houston would put up double digit sacks as a 4-3 RDE.

But he's still WILDLY expensive. Tag and trade Ford though, and at least it doesn't totally suck.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 05:50 PM 02-19-2019
I don't know, guys. My new special armchair GM plan is to tag and trade Ford, receiving a #2 (or conceivably a late #1), Cut Houston, sign Trey Flowers to a 4 or 5 year deal for around $16 m per. Sign a KJ Wright type to play SAM. Rule the 2019 draft with four picks in the first two rounds. Take two CB's and a S. Profit.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 05:51 PM 02-19-2019
Ford is really interesting this year. By many (or all) accounts, he plays too high against the run. I wonder if starting with his hand in the dirt would help him keep that lower leverage and improve his run defense.

He could easily have a 15 sack season this year, then go get stupid money. And the team does have to keep their window in mind. Personally, I'm really hoping they can keep Houston, because I think he's about to have a MAJOR comeback year.

Regardless, all things are about helping Mahomes, so I don't care about a single defensive player if they get too expensive.
[Reply]
Page 36 of 791
« First < 263233343536 373839404686136536 > Last »
Up