ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 30 of 3903
« First < 202627282930 3132333440801305301030 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
TLO 12:07 PM 03-02-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Ive participated in nation wide medical disaster drills. We have practiced this. I know what the results were. Anyone in the medical field will tell you the same thing. You think because we are USA!USA! We can magically produce more medical supplies, ventilators? 99% are made in China.

This is the reality of a worse case scenerio, a pandemic. Your already seeing it in Italy. China if they were honest, is in much worse shape.
Yes we know, the all knowledgeable BRC. Your expertise knows no bounds.

I take everything you say with a grain of salt. Then add 10 extra grains of salt for good measure.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 12:08 PM 03-02-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
It feels like we've done a pretty good job of slowing it down thus far. I don't know how comparable this is to the Swine Flu outbreak of 2009, but here were the numbers from that.

It was estimated that about 59 million Americans contracted the H1N1 virus, 265,000 were hospitalized as a result, and 12,000 died.

We're about 3 months into the outbreak, (worldwide) and we're at under 100 confirmed cases in the US. (A lot of those cases were people we brought home from hot spot areas) Will the number of cases go up? Almost certainly. But can we limit the cases to communities in which they appear?

I'm trying to be optimistic.. The alternative is too bleak.
Why in the world was this decision made?
[Reply]
Donger 12:10 PM 03-02-2020
It feels like we've done a pretty good job of slowing it down thus far.
Two dozen new cases were reported over the weekend, including the first two deaths from the virus in the US.

The 91 cases nationwide include:

[Reply]
TLO 12:11 PM 03-02-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Slowing it down?

The initial test kits were flawed. 15,000 test kits were released over the weekend but it's so early in this process that there's no way to know how many people have been infected.
Fair point. But if there were multiple serious cases going around, don't you think someone somewhere would have figured it out?
[Reply]
SupDock 12:15 PM 03-02-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
What we know now is that it's a minimum of 3.4%. If everyone with an open case survives, it's 3.4%. If everyone with an open case dies, it's 49.1%. Based on what we see with closed cases, the best bet is 6.3%. But as noted earlier, it'll likely vary due to some issues like timing of the virus arrival in different areas and whether those Chinese precincts are accurately reporting deaths.
This is not quite correct.
The denominator, the total number of cases, is likely low, because people are probably getting low grade symptoms and not seeking care or getting tested.
[Reply]
DaFace 12:15 PM 03-02-2020
What we know now is that it's a minimum of 3.4%. If everyone with an open case survives, it's 3.4%. If everyone with an open case dies, it's 49.1%. Based on what we see with closed cases, the best bet is 6.3%. But as noted earlier, it'll likely vary due to some issues like timing of the virus arrival in different areas and whether those Chinese precincts are accurately reporting deaths.
All of that still leaves out what is likely to be a large number of people who are infected but otherwise just treat it as a cold or who don't show any symptoms. Obviously the death rates are concerning, but you can't really compare it to similar numbers from the flu until people actually have time to study it in detail.

I haven't seen any estimates from experts that think the true death rate is above 1%.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:16 PM 03-02-2020
Fair point. But if there were multiple serious cases going around, don't you think someone somewhere would have figured it out?
There's up to a 2 week incubation period so the answer to that question is "no".
[Reply]
SupDock 12:16 PM 03-02-2020
Originally Posted by SupDock:
Z Dogg is the man

Case update:

As of 7 PM March 1, GMT +8 there are 89,768 (+2,788 today vs +1,799 yesterday) confirmed coronavirus cases worldwide
Quoting my own post
Yesterday we had had 1,800 new cases in 24 hours
Today we have 2800 new cases in the last 24 hours
[Reply]
BigRedChief 12:18 PM 03-02-2020
Yes we know, the all knowledgeable BRC. Your expertise knows no bounds.

I take everything you say with a grain of salt. Then add 10 extra grains of salt for good measure.
your hatred of me knows no bounds. I’m Facebook friends with literally over a hundred Planetters. Many are posting in this thread. They know who I am in real life. Yet, none of them are saying I’m FOS, wonder why?
[Reply]
Rain Man 12:22 PM 03-02-2020
Originally Posted by SupDock:
This is not quite correct.
The denominator, the total number of cases, is likely low, because people are probably getting low grade symptoms and not seeking care or getting tested.
Originally Posted by DaFace:
All of that still leaves out what is likely to be a large number of people who are infected but otherwise just treat it as a cold or who don't show any symptoms. Obviously the death rates are concerning, but you can't really compare it to similar numbers from the flu until people actually have time to study it in detail.

I haven't seen any estimates from experts that think the true death rate is above 1%.

Yeah, that's the good news. It's possible that it's far more widespread and most are just able to shrug it off, and so they aren't included in the numbers. I'm not sure how they can test for that, though.
[Reply]
TLO 12:23 PM 03-02-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
your hatred of me knows no bounds. I’m Facebook friends with literally over a hundred Planetters. Many are posting in this thread. They know who I am in real life. Yet, none of them are saying I’m FOS, wonder why?
:-)

I have no hatred of you. You just seem to have a lot of expertise in a wide variety of subjects.
[Reply]
TLO 12:25 PM 03-02-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Why in the world was this decision made?
Hell I don't know. I'm just along for the ride here. I have no knowledge of any of this. Just trying to figure it out like everyone else.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 12:35 PM 03-02-2020
Yeah, that's the good news. It's possible that it's far more widespread and most are just able to shrug it off, and so they aren't included in the numbers. I'm not sure how they can test for that, though.
The best way to test is actually a CT of the chest, as it presents with ground glass opacities w/ or w/o consolidation, bilateral lung involvement, and an absence of lymphadenopathy.

Expensive and too time consuming, though.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 12:43 PM 03-02-2020
:-)

I have no hatred of you. You just seem to have a lot of expertise in a wide variety of subjects.
thats what happens when you get old and worked in various fields while growing old.
[Reply]
Megatron96 12:47 PM 03-02-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
Bastards stole my design! I invented that fort back in 1976 . . .
[Reply]
Page 30 of 3903
« First < 202627282930 3132333440801305301030 > Last »
Up