ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Health Care
RodeoPants2 01:45 PM 09-13-2019
The Democrats spent a lot of time last night debating public option vs. Medicare for all. Often times resorting to punchlines and demagoguery, but getting pretty nuanced as well.

Mean while, trump is suing to bring back pre existing consitions.

If you were able to change healthcare in this country however you thought were best, what would you do.
[Reply]
Direckshun 01:49 PM 09-13-2019
It depends, honestly. If I could scrap the system and start over, Medicare for All.

But we have the current system, and I'm an incrementalist by nature. So I forget what it's called but at this time, but I think (a.) the public option, and/or (b.) option into Medicaid are my favorite ideas.

More aggressive solutions like Medicare for Choice are solid, but I'm afraid would be a bigger leap than most are comfortable with. More tepid responses like strengthening the Affordable Care Act exchanges would do a world of good, but wouldn't have the dramatic effects of a public option.
[Reply]
Donger 01:51 PM 09-13-2019
For the liberals, what would you say to moving health insurance companies to non-profit only?
[Reply]
Direckshun 01:54 PM 09-13-2019
Originally Posted by Donger:
For the liberals, what would you say to moving health insurance companies to non-profit only?
Hm.

Legit first time I've heard that idea. Couple questions.

1. Where does the funding from the nonprofits come from?
2. Are you suggesting a mandate that all private health insurance companies turn nonprofit, or are you suggesting nonprofit options?

Basically I'm asking you to discern how that might be different than a public option.
[Reply]
scho63 01:57 PM 09-13-2019
I would turn the healthcare industry upside down.

-Starting at X years old, each person gets a complete physical paid for by their insurance. Let's start putting kids in the right frame of mind and condition them to think about theor health.
-Then every year you get the same, including bloodwork and checking for things like diabetes or other major issues. Make it a way of life and SHAME people into being more concerned about their health.
-Then after age 50 you get some more detailed exams like colonoscopies.
-Healthcare and exercise is brought back into schools with nutrition studies
-Fitbit and all other forms of keeping track of your health are made a way of life.
-Drug costs have to resolved so the US isn't paying $500 a pill and some Indian or Chilean is paying $1 for the same exact pill or medicine. That's just fucked up

Healthcare HAS to become PROACTIVE to lower costs and improve health. If it remains a REACTIVE business, we are doomed.

Also, people who drink, take drugs, or are morbidly obese have to pay more.
[Reply]
Donger 01:58 PM 09-13-2019
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
Hm.

Legit first time I've heard that idea. Couple questions.

1. Where does the funding from the nonprofits come from?
2. Are you suggesting a mandate that all private health insurance companies turn nonprofit, or are you suggesting nonprofit options?

Basically I'm asking you to discern how that might be different than a public option.
1. From the insured paying premiums and deductibles.
2. Either, or both.
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 01:59 PM 09-13-2019
People who are not on and have no clue about Medicare want Medicare but no supplemental insurance.

This is prime territory for ignorance and stupidity to breed.
[Reply]
Direckshun 01:59 PM 09-13-2019
Originally Posted by Donger:
1. From the insured paying premiums and deductibles.
2. Either, or both.
Would you institute an individual mandate, but of course allowing the nonprofits as an option for people to choose?

Would you continue issuing the subsidies for those that are subject to the mandate but cannot afford plans on their own that the Affordable Care Act offers?
[Reply]
notorious 01:59 PM 09-13-2019
I’m spending 10k a year for my wife and I. No family history of anything notable, no smoking. I’m 41 and she’s 37. We are in perfect health.

That’s ****ed up. Thought about dropping it to be honest.
[Reply]
Loneiguana 02:16 PM 09-13-2019
Originally Posted by notorious:
I’m spending 10k a year for my wife and I. No family history of anything notable, no smoking. I’m 41 and she’s 37. We are in perfect health.

That’s ****ed up. Thought about dropping it to be honest.
Do you believe that if we went with a complete universal healthcare funded fully through taxes that you pay an extra 10k in taxes? (I assume you mean premiums and aren't counting co pays and out pocket expenses)

I personally don't just because of the advantage of economy of scale and the ability governments have to keep prices in check that an individual does not have.
[Reply]
Iowanian 02:18 PM 09-13-2019
You're spare parts, bud.
[Reply]
ClevelandBronco 02:34 PM 09-13-2019
Careful. You might inadvertently make it harder to kill babies.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 02:43 PM 09-13-2019
Deport illegals. We spend ~$20b on their healthcare. We can repurpose that $$$ on youth spending which has a high ROI. Everyone wins.
[Reply]
Donger 02:51 PM 09-13-2019
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
Would you institute an individual mandate, but of course allowing the nonprofits as an option for people to choose?

Would you continue issuing the subsidies for those that are subject to the mandate but cannot afford plans on their own that the Affordable Care Act offers?
No, I wouldn't require a mandate.

No, I wouldn't continue subsidies. If you can't afford the above, you go on Medicaid.
[Reply]
notorious 02:57 PM 09-13-2019
Originally Posted by Loneiguana:
Do you believe that if we went with a complete universal healthcare funded fully through taxes that you pay an extra 10k in taxes? (I assume you mean premiums and aren't counting co pays and out pocket expenses)

I personally don't just because of the advantage of economy of scale and the ability governments have to keep prices in check that an individual does not have.
I have no idea. When it comes to health care I am at a complete loss of what to do.

Itís a mess.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up