ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 12 of 14
« First < 289101112 1314 >
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Adam Schiff announces sweeping investigation into Trump's finances and Russia
Taco John 08:44 PM 02-08-2019

(CNN)House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff announced Wednesday a broad investigation his committee would undertake "beyond Russia" into whether President Donald Trump's financial interests are driving his actions.

Schiff said the investigation would "allow us to investigate any credible allegation that financial interests or other interests are driving decision-making of the President or anyone in the administration."

"That pertains to any credible allegations of leverage by the Russians or the Saudis or anyone else," Schiff told reporters after the House Intelligence Committee's first meeting in the new Congress.

In a statement, Schiff said the investigation would include a continued probe into Russia's actions during the 2016 election and contacts between the Russia and Trump's team, as well as an examination of "whether any foreign actor has sought to compromise or holds leverage, financial or otherwise, over Donald Trump, his family, his business, or his associates."

Schiff said the investigation, which could involve additional congressional committees, would also look at whether Trump or his associates have "sought to influence US government policy in service of foreign interests" and any potential obstruction into the various investigations.

Schiff's announcement is the most detailed look yet into how congressional Democrats will investigate Trump's finances and possible ties to foreign entities, and how Democrats are sure to continue probing Trump and his team well after special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation had concluded.
Trump reacted Wednesday to Schiff's announcement by slamming the California Democrat and saying Schiff has "no basis to do that."

"He's just a political hack trying to build a name for himself," Trump said in the Roosevelt Room Wednesday after announcing his new nominee to be World Bank president. "It's called presidential harassment and it is unfortunate."

Trump's comments followed his State of the Union speech Tuesday in which he warned Democrats against undertaking "ridiculous partisan investigations."

Schiff responded to Trump's attack on Twitter, saying: "We're going to do our job and won't be distracted or intimidated by threats or attacks.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/06/polit...m_source=twCNN
[Reply]
patteeu 05:06 AM 02-10-2019
Originally Posted by Reerun_KC:
You stating you are an ďAmericanĒ.

That was hysterical.
:-)
[Reply]
Donger 06:32 AM 02-10-2019
Originally Posted by patteeu:
I've already explained why it matters. See posts 85 and 119.
What normal restrictions and safeguards? You weren't very specific.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 09:33 AM 02-10-2019
Yale Law Review on what Congress can and cannot do regarding Trump's past tax returns under Obama, Bush and Clinton.
http://yalejreg.com/nc/can-congress-...s-tax-returns/
How Trump as President can get revenge on Democrats trying to destroy privacy on tax returns.
Originally Posted by :
But Trump might have another way of discouraging any improper congressional requests.

Section 6103(g) authorizes** the President to obtain anyoneís tax return from the IRS, with no carve-out for federal legislators. Thus, if a congressional committee threatens to request Trumpís tax returns, the President could respond in kind, and threaten to review Democratsí returns.

Most federal legislators have declined to release their tax returns, even after media requests, so this threat would presumably be taken seriously. See Roll Call, Members of Congress: Where Are Your Tax Returns? (Jun. 26, 2017) (473 out of 535 federal legislators have not released their returns or did not respond to requests for disclosure); POLITICO, Pelosi grilled for not releasing her own tax returns (Jul. 19, 2012).

Section 6103(g) contains no meaningful restrictions on the Presidentís authority. [There are on Congress tho'.]

http://yalejreg.com/nc/the-battle-fo...ntial-revenge/
Massive hypocrisy!
[Reply]
Randallflagg 11:11 AM 02-10-2019
This just in.......House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff announced today that it has been determined that, as a 9 year old boy, Donald Trump was fond of placing pennies on railroad tracks in an effort to flatten them out - in clear violation of American Law and impeachment proceedings would begin immediately.

This investigation took 31 months and 17.5 million dollars in taxpayer funds.

:-)
[Reply]
Randallflagg 11:21 AM 02-10-2019
Wait.....this has just crossed our desk....House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff has just released details from the following investigation: On Friday, September 18th, 1977 - Donald Trump was seen speaking to Chef Yablinko (a naturalized American from Russia) at Veselka Restaurant in New York City.

Details are somewhat sketchy, but it was confirmed that the Billionaire was speaking to Yablinko about acquiring his recipe for Borscht. Apparent Schiff and his team of 70 investigators believe that there was some "hidden meaning" in the conversation and plans to launch yet another investigation into the matter of Trump and Borscht.

Stay tuned.
[Reply]
RodeoPants2 12:21 PM 02-10-2019
I gave Donger an example of a type of unrelated crime that I don't think should be completely dropped. Then you come along and illogically conclude that that's my one and only exception. It might be, but I certainly didn't give you any reason to think it is. It's the kind of nonsense that discourages honest dialog.

The principle should be that criminal cases aren't built off of counterintelligence investigations. If you're an investigator and you improperly intervene to prevent Nancy Pelosi from being murdered, I won't call for your head, but I might not support prosecution.
You have clearly articulated that you think, if the special counsel has knowledge of crimes committed by the president and his advisors, the special counsel should ignore them, except potentially to intervene and prevent them in certain exigent circumstances (e.g. a plot to assassinate the speaker of the house). However, you still wouldn't want him to criminally prosecute a plot to assassinate the speaker of the house, were he to uncover it.

Does that sound right?

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
Yale Law Review on what Congress can and cannot do regarding Trump's past tax returns under Obama, Bush and Clinton.
http://yalejreg.com/nc/can-congress-...s-tax-returns/
How Trump as President can get revenge on Democrats trying to destroy privacy on tax returns.

Massive hypocrisy!
What's hypocritical, they believe candidates for president should release tax returns, as do I. I don't think other Americans should need to do the same.
[Reply]
seamonster 01:38 PM 02-10-2019
California has issues (heinous levels of corruption at the state level, pothole roads, violent crime increasing in a majority of its counties, homeless shanty towns) and yet all you see this braintrust do is point fingers at trump and virtue signal. And let's not forget the thousands of people burned alive in forest fires because their state isn't maintaining brush. It's like these people are incapable of looking themselves in the fucking mirror.
[Reply]
Donger 02:28 PM 02-10-2019
Originally Posted by seamonster:
And let's not forget the thousands of people burned alive in forest fires because their state isn't maintaining brush.
Errr, what?
[Reply]
seamonster 02:35 PM 02-10-2019
Originally Posted by Donger:
Errr, what?
State-Level Failures to Control Brush in California Lead to Catastrophic Fires
[Reply]
Donger 02:45 PM 02-10-2019
State-Level Failures to Control Brush in California Lead to Catastrophic Fires
I was taking issue with the 'thousands of people burned alive' part.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 03:09 PM 02-10-2019
Liberals:

NSFW!!!!

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Bob Dole 03:41 PM 02-10-2019
California has issues (heinous levels of corruption at the state level, pothole roads, violent crime increasing in a majority of its counties, homeless shanty towns) and yet all you see this braintrust do is point fingers at trump and virtue signal. And let's not forget the thousands of people burned alive in forest fires because their state isn't maintaining brush. It's like these people are incapable of looking themselves in the ****ing mirror.
Oh come on. Everyone knows the real cause of those fires is the climate crisis!
[Reply]
cosmo20002 03:56 PM 02-10-2019
Is there a reason to think he has?
Yes, his frequent lies about them. And if not crimes, conflicts of interest and self-dealing that americans should know about.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 04:02 PM 02-10-2019
Originally Posted by Chiefshrink:
While the real criminal(Hillary) just skates away.:-)
If you didn't like the Obama-era investigations, Trump has had two years to investigate her.
[Reply]
patteeu 04:41 PM 02-10-2019
Originally Posted by RodeoPants2:
You have clearly articulated that you think, if the special counsel has knowledge of crimes committed by the president and his advisors, the special counsel should ignore them, except potentially to intervene and prevent them in certain exigent circumstances (e.g. a plot to assassinate the speaker of the house). However, you still wouldn't want him to criminally prosecute a plot to assassinate the speaker of the house, were he to uncover it.

Does that sound right?
I havenít drawn a line. Iím not sure exactly where or how the line should be drawn. But there should be a line and using a counterintelligence investigation to develop evidence against a historic crime like bank fraud or money laundering or tax evasion are well beyond that line, IMO.

I hope you can appreciate that Iím not interested in having you put words in my mouth.
[Reply]
Page 12 of 14
« First < 289101112 1314 >
Up