ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 16
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Media Center>I have officially watched Tombstone
EyePod 12:10 PM 02-17-2009
Can I have my Man Card back now?

I enjoyed the movie overall. A little over-the-top, but still a good flick.

What I loved:

Val Kilmer's acting. I've never seen him act better. Good stuff.

When they first went after the Cowboys, and Earp (I think) jumped through the fucking window, and then killed all the Cowboys there. That was fucking sweet.

The things that really bothered me were:

The wasted shooting on horseback, especially when you couldn't see that they were shooting at anyone. Does this happen in most Westerns?

Kurt Russel's mustache. That was just ridiculous.

The end of the movie, where Wyatt doesn't have to worry about money ever again because his bitch's family is rich, and he's perfectly OK with just mooching and getting room service from her moneys.
[Reply]
DeezNutz 02:32 PM 02-17-2009
Originally Posted by Amnorix:
It's boring. And I'm not fan of Costner so it started out with a strike against it already.

Dancing with Wolves was ok, but I've seen it exactly once, with no interest in a repeat performance. I feel the same about Wyatt Earp (I think that was the name of the movie).

And it's not like I can't appareciate a decent character study. The Searchers and The Shootist fall into that category also.

Maybe it's just Kevin Costner. Other than the Untouchables, I struggle to find a movie of his that I say more than "eh" to.
Bull Durham? Field of Dreams?

Do you need a visit from Dirty Harry, too?
[Reply]
EyePod 02:32 PM 02-17-2009
Originally Posted by Amnorix:
Ah, ok. It was accurate for the period, so I had no objection, but I could see where maybe it looked fake so it was a distraction.

Have you seen Unforgiven? There's no absurd facial hair in that one so maybe it will work out better for you. :-)
Why couldn't he have worn this stache, a la wikipedia?

[Reply]
Nzoner 02:32 PM 02-17-2009
Originally Posted by frazod:
No it doesn't; it's just slower, more of a character study. Tombstone is a flat out action movie.
Fraz weren't you the one that hated The Asassination of Jesse James?
[Reply]
Demonpenz 02:32 PM 02-17-2009
Originally Posted by Nzoner:
The movie Tombstone was very "hollywooded" up.Don't get me wrong I love the movie as well but for the best complete movie on Earp see Wyatt Earp with Kevin Costner.
I was being sarcastic :-)
[Reply]
Demonpenz 02:34 PM 02-17-2009
Northfield raid in The Long Riders if that is the one with the slow mo people getting shot up, that is awesome and creepy :-)
[Reply]
Amnorix 02:34 PM 02-17-2009
Originally Posted by EyePod:
I've heard that Wyatt Earp was a terrible movie.
The two (Tombstone and Wyatt Earp) came out at about the same time. If I remember right they wanted Costner in Tombstone and he refused, or something like that. In any event, it was a rivalry between two studios or whatever for the Wyatt Earp movies t hey were putting out.

Wyatt Earp was a big budget flop, while Tombstone was a cheap massive hit. Of course, Kilmer stole Tombstone from Russell in every conceivable way.
[Reply]
Amnorix 02:37 PM 02-17-2009
Why couldn't he have worn this stache, a la wikipedia?

My best guess is because Earp lived a VERY long time. into the 1920s I recall, and became a living legend, and in his later years I think he had the ridiculous chops, and he was MUCH more associated with them.

Abraham Lincoln was clean shaven in his younger years too, but that's not how people think of him.

When I think of Earp, I think of the ridiculous 'stache, and it's not because of Kurt Russell.
:-)
[Reply]
Demonpenz 02:38 PM 02-17-2009
Plus how can you cast randy quaid for doc holiday
[Reply]
Nzoner 02:38 PM 02-17-2009
Originally Posted by Demonpenz:
Northfield raid in The Long Riders if that is the one with the slow mo people getting shot up, that is awesome and creepy :-)
Yep,and director Walter Hill also used several sets of movie star brothers to portray the outlaw brothers
[Reply]
Demonpenz 02:39 PM 02-17-2009
Yep,and director Walter Hill also used several sets of movie star brothers to portray the outlaw brothers
yeah I need to watch that again. keetch bro's
[Reply]
Frazod 02:41 PM 02-17-2009
Plus how can you cast randy quaid for doc holiday
You're an idiot. He nailed that part, and looked nearly identical to the actual person he was portraying.
[Reply]
wutamess 02:42 PM 02-17-2009
Again, I never said it shouldn't have been there. I just thought it was ridiculous. Maybe it's just that Kurt Russell doesn't look good with that much of a mustache. It looked fake, and I was constantly distracted by it.

[Reply]
Frazod 02:43 PM 02-17-2009
Fraz weren't you the one that hated The Asassination of Jesse James?
You know, I finally watched the whole thing on TV, and it got better right after the spot where I walked out. It was still way too slow, but better than I thought initially.

Whoever edited that movie should be slapped. Hard. It was about 45 minutes too long.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 02:44 PM 02-17-2009
Originally Posted by frazod:
You're an idiot. He nailed that part, and looked nearly identical to the actual person he was portraying.
gdamn it was a joke "randy" quiad?

Hey Wyatt! Shitters full!
[Reply]
Frazod 02:57 PM 02-17-2009
gdamn it was a joke "randy" quiad?

Hey Wyatt! Shitters full!
Sorry. I sometimes forget you're only a pretend idiot.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 16
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Up