ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Nzoner's Game Room>New IPhone SE. Experience with one?
gblowfish 12:20 PM 04-15-2021
Mrs B and I have always had the same kind of cellphone. Right now we've got IPhone 6s which are old. Her battery won't hold a charge for long, and mine is literally coming apart. So I contacted Straight Talk -who we have our cell service with- and bought 2 iPhone SE 64GB phones for $149 ea. Anybody have this phone? Reviews look pretty good, seems to be a lot like my current phone only updated with newer guts. Hopefully I didn't make a terrible consumer purchase!
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 12:23 PM 04-15-2021
If you are used to the tiny screens on the 6, you'll probably be fine.
[Reply]
gblowfish 12:23 PM 04-15-2021
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
If you are used to the tiny screens on the 6, you'll probably be fine.
I basically use my phone for a phone, so yeah, i'm OK with it.
[Reply]
Fish 12:27 PM 04-15-2021
There's 2 generations of that phone. Hopefully you got the 2nd gen.
[Reply]
gblowfish 12:50 PM 04-15-2021
It's supposed to be a new current model.
[Reply]
ModSocks 01:09 PM 04-15-2021
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
It's supposed to be a new current model.
Yes, the new model came out recently-ish. I doubt anyone is selling any older generations. There's no reason to.

My wife and son both have one. I did a bunch of reviewing before purchasing them, as it's an entry level Iphone. I found that while it may be entry level, it's not lacking in any feature that mattered.

It runs the same operating system as the larger more expensive models. Same screen type. Same processor as most a few of their larger models. Same camera as some of the larger models too. I think the top of hte line Iphone (i forget what it was called at the time) had some additional lenses on it that gave it better zoom capabilities or some gimmicky shit like that.

Tl:-)R: I came to the conclusion that the SE had the same tech (that mattered) as the the larger, more expensive flag ship phones, but didn't have SOME of the extra frilly bullshit that doesn't matter, such as enhanced zoom and a bigger screen.

At about 1/3rd the price, i think buying the more expensive Iphones was just dumb. The extra frilly useless bullshit simply does not warrant the increased cost.

But hey, someone will come along and tell me im full of shit to justify spending $1,200+ on a phone.
[Reply]
gblowfish 01:12 PM 04-15-2021
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Yes, the new model came out recently-ish. I doubt anyone is selling any older generations. There's no reason to.

My wife and son both have one. I did a bunch of reviewing before purchasing them, as it's an entry level Iphone. I found that while it may be entry level, it's not lacking in any feature that mattered.

It runs the same operating system as the larger more expensive models. Same screen type. Same processor as most a few of their larger models. Same camera as some of the larger models too. I think the top of hte line Iphone (i forget what it was called at the time) had some additional lenses on it that gave it better zoom capabilities or some gimmicky shit like that.

Tl:-)R: I came to the conclusion that the SE had the same tech (that mattered) as the the larger, more expensive flag ship phones, but didn't have SOME of the extra frilly bullshit that doesn't matter, such as enhanced zoom and a bigger screen.

At about 1/3rd the price, i think buying the more expensive Iphones was just dumb. The extra frilly useless bullshit simply does not warrant the increased cost.

But hey, someone will come along and tell me im full of shit to justify spending $1,200+ on a phone.
Nice review. That makes me feel better. My Iphone 6 has been fine for what I use it for. Mostly phone calls, occasional text and taking a few pictures of my kitties mostly. Sounds like this one will fit in just fine. Have to make sure I brush up on how to migrate the data from the old one to the new one. Bluetooth I believe...
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:15 PM 04-15-2021
The current gen iPhone SE came out last year in April 2020, halfway between the iPhone 11 and iPhone 12. It's a great little phone, sports an A13 chipset, and runs the latest iOS.

Literally the only thing that it doesn't have is a bigger screen and you said you don't want that, so.

The SE is quite popular, actually. I have just gotten used to the bigger screens so I won't ever go back.
[Reply]
Sofa King 01:16 PM 04-15-2021
My dad just upgraded from a 5 to the SE and he seems to like and understand it.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:16 PM 04-15-2021

I have the iPhone 11 Pro Max because of the larger screen. It has night photo capabilties which are really cool if you take pictures at night but are otherwise worthless.
[Reply]
ModSocks 01:31 PM 04-15-2021
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
Nice review. That makes me feel better. My Iphone 6 has been fine for what I use it for. Mostly phone calls, occasional text and taking a few pictures of my kitties mostly. Sounds like this one will fit in just fine. Have to make sure I brush up on how to migrate the data from the old one to the new one. Bluetooth I believe...
One thing you should know is that the complaints about the battery life are real.

It chews through battery life. But if you're not one who lives on their phone, i doubt you'll care.

IIRC, the SE is running the same/similar chip set, just clocked slightly slower as the bigger models along with the same screen tech and OS...but with a much smaller capacity battery.

In car terms, the SE has the same V8 as as the 12, except the gas tank is like half as big lol.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:33 PM 04-15-2021
One thing you should know is that the complaints about the battery life are real.

It chews through battery life. But if you're not one who lives on their phone, i doubt you'll care.

IIRC, the SE is running the same/similar chip set, just clocked slightly slower as the bigger models along with the same screen tech and OS...but with a much smaller capacity battery.

In car terms, the SE has the same V8 as as the 12, except the gas tank is like half as big lol.
The battery is smaller but a lot of battery life issues, across all iPhone models, has to do with user setup or iOS features and not with the physical battery itself.

If you can avoid restoring iOS from backup, that would be a start to better battery life. That's the number one reason battery life gets shorter when upgrading iOS.
[Reply]
louie aguiar 02:12 PM 04-15-2021
I have the SE and like it. It’s still a really good phone. I like that the SE is not too big and that I can slide in my pocket. I’m also kind of old-school and like the home button.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 02:20 PM 04-15-2021
Still enjoy my iPhone 2
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:22 PM 04-15-2021
Originally Posted by louie aguiar:
I have the SE and like it. It’s still a really good phone. I like that the SE is not too big and that I can slide in my pocket. I’m also kind of old-school and like the home button.
I thought I would miss Touch ID.

Until I used Face ID for about 5 minutes. :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Up