ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 11
« First < 34567 891011 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Joe Delaney - I-435 & BBQ Contest Projects **6/29 I-435 Project Accomplished!**
AJKCFAN 05:45 PM 02-15-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Just went out there myself. Looking good!

Originally Posted by AJKCFAN:
344 days ago, first contact was made with the Missouri Department of Transportation with this idea to have a highway dedication to honor Joe Delaney. There were times when it was understandably tedious and exasperating but this was going to be pursued as long as the obstacles were to be overcome.

The early support came from local Jackson County Missouri State Representative Yolanda Young and her team who supported this project immediately. This required the support of the Delaney family themselves and between his widow Carolyn and daughters (particularly Joanna and Crystal) they gave us their unwavering support and backed it up by providing MODOT with their consent for the project, as well as Joe's death certificate which was also required. They put their faith in me and these efforts and it will never be forgotten.

From there, 2 things remained - cost of project (which one of our own reached into their pocket and doled out more than $3,000 to cover for the ENTIRE cost of the signs). The appropriate word to you is grateful. Grateful for your support and grateful to make this endeavor an easier task to complete. May you appreciate the fruits of your investment for these next 20 years!

Lastly but far from least, to obtain 100 signatures from local Kansas Citians in the midst of a worldwide pandemic was daunting from the get-go but there was Clay - recruiting signatures with his social media clout and going about it with the mindset that he was not going to be denied. I don't know how to ever properly thank him, but this does not result in signs if not for his herculean efforts. Yes, there was considerable help from the Kansas City Star with their ipetitions to also make this happen, but there is no completion of this project if not for Clay being the rock star that he is and absolutely taking care of this - and us obtaining the necessary relevant signatures in just over 1 weeks time.

Those signatures include quite a few Chiefs Planeteers so feel a source of pride every time you pass I-435 between Exits 66 and Exit 63C and you see them signs for the next two decades.

I obviously want to renew these signs when the term expires in 2041, but if I am not around to see that happen - then it is my sincere hope my Kansas Citian friends made throughout this experience will pick up the mantle and keep these signs up.

I'm so humbled and moved that tens of thousands of Chiefs fans will be driving to and from Arrowhead via I-435 and it means the world to see Joe Delaney finally attain long-lasting recognition in Kansas City

37 Forever definitely played a small (yet significant) part in Kansas City Chiefs history

The Joe Delaney Memorial Highway on I-435 will play a small (yet also significant) part in Kansas City history

:-) :-) :-) Cheers Everybody - WE Did It!!! :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
Previous updates:
Spoiler!

Changing gears. Here is the latest in terms of the BBQ Contest. Attacking this hard these past several weeks. Really not to exaggerate, some 150 companies were reached out. Basically, there is some level of interest that need to be explored further and if work wasn't killing me, there would be a quicker follow-up so now that I-435 is out of the way, my efforts will be focused solely on this. Recently, there was a pretty significant company who has showed interest and they wanted to Zoom conference with me sometime this week. Observant of today's significance, intentionally I chose to have the conference today on the Anniversary. It did happen today and the takeaway from the meeting is that there appears to be a potential sponsor of the contest as they were very impressed with this idea and also helpful is that they have considerable experience working with The Kansas City Barbeque Society so that works in our favor. Likely, a second Zoom Conference call is scheduled to occur next Thursday morning (July 8) and if all can somehow go well with this, we might just be able to pull this off.....

(oh yes, there is a secret code embedded in here with the above paragraph, so good luck finding it.....)

(No code for rest of message)
If it doesn't come to pass, I'll keep trying. There is some interest that I need to follow up with nine other companies, but this one I spoke with today can make this Joe Delaney BBQ Contest at Worlds of Fun a reality.

If it cannot be possible, I would still like to have a BBQ Contest but we are probably looking to scale it down further and seek to have it at a local BBQ restaurant, but I want to exhaust this option and this potential sponsor (and other interested parties) first before we need to cross this bridge.

To be continued

The other project is an even more exciting idea and although that too is realistic, there will need to be more “heavy lifting”.

If there are two things Kansas City is currently most well known for, what would it be?

I would say (and you would likely say also) it would be the Chiefs and BBQ.

Yes, the best tailgating in the NFL by far can be found at Arrowhead and there’s some incredible BBQ every home game there but how often has Arrowhead Stadium been a venue for an actual competitive BBQ Contest?

Not that often, which is somewhat shocking given Arrowhead’s reputation.

So I am attempting to “marry the two”.

What if there was a competitive BBQ contest to be held at Arrowhead Stadium, during Chiefs football season – all in the memory of Joe Delaney, who is easily among the most distinguished and revered Kansas City Chiefs players in its illustrious history?

2. The Joe Delaney Master Series Barbeque Contest

Here, during this past Chiefs football season, I have had not one, not two, not three, not four, but five Zoom Call conferences with the Chiefs organization and in conjunction with The Kansas City Barbeque Society, which is a not for profit BBQ contest organization which sponsors a tremendous amount of BBQ contests throughout the year not just in Kansas City, but throughout America.

Very late in the season, we received a proposal from the Chiefs to have the debut of this event to be held at Arrowhead (with options to continue the contest at Arrowhead for both the 2022 and 2023 seasons), with the target being in late October of this year (hopefully to coincide with Joe Delaney’s birth date) and them being flexible with the date to allow for it to coincide with a Chiefs home game as well (particularly if the Chiefs were playing a home game in Arrowhead on a Sunday Night or a Monday Night that weekend).

The issue with it right now is the cost of the contest to hold the debut of this event in Arrowhead Stadium is a staggering amount. In essence, sponsors are vital to have this contest occur – whether it is at Arrowhead or at a smaller venue to kick things off for this year. I do at least commend the Chiefs for being willing to hear out this idea and staying in contact with me over the football season and still maintaining close ties with me to this day.

Guess I will throw this out there:

Does anyone here have any connections or tie-ins with any potential sponsors because that is what would yield the best results to this event occurring.

It would be really awesome to have this dream event occur. I mean, a BBQ Contest to be held in Arrowhead Stadium during the football season, in a weekend where we can finish the festivities off with enjoying watching Mahomes and the Chiefs kicking somebody’s ass on national TV – and this contest being held to memorialize a heroic great late Chief like Joe Delaney, it doesn’t get any better than that.

That’s why I am coming to you today. I am going to need some help.

Football analogy. We have driven the ball down the field two times and we are in the Red Zone for both projects. Joe Delaney Memorial Highway is definitely in First & Goal status – we just need 100 signatures and we got this TD. Joe Delaney BBQ Contest, it feels like it is 2nd and makeable distance from inside the Red Zone. Maybe we will need to settle for a field goal with that and debut the contest at a smaller venue or maybe there is still reason to hope this can still find its way into the end zone too and we make the contest occur at Arrowhead this fall on a Saturday.

I’ll be happy to either discuss on this thread or privately any direct questions you may have.

Thank you very much in advance....

Adam (AJKCFAN)
[Reply]
AJKCFAN 01:51 PM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Channel 41 is all over this :-)
Confirmed

Just finished a 1 on 1 interview with Gabriela Pagan from KSHB-41

She plans to interview Carolyn Delaney (Joe’s widow) and MODOT

Also sent her contact information for Clay and Vahe as they both worked so hard at this.

It’s airing tonight (not sure exactly which newscast but queue the “it’s happening“ gif)

NOTE: I’m not sure if it’s going to be aired, but made sure to specifically mention the efforts of Clay, 37 Forever and Chiefs Planet during interview. Whether it airs or not, we shall see....
[Reply]
Easy 6 04:24 PM 03-04-2021
What a difference a few days can make

Couple days ago it had a whopping 5 signatures, today the 100 threshold has been exceeded and AJ is doing a local news interview... this website can be legit amazeballs when it wants to be
[Reply]
AJKCFAN 04:39 PM 03-04-2021
Feature will be aired BUT

Not airing tonight. They need to get more pictures of Joe from Delaney family. Will run but might not be until weekend/early next week. Bummer but it’s only delayed....

Clay and Vahe get so much of the credit. They both worked their asses off to bring this to the public limelight so kudos to them both....
[Reply]
Dartgod 04:39 PM 03-04-2021
Confirmed

Just finished a 1 on 1 interview with Gabriela Pagan from KSHB-41

She plans to interview Carolyn Delaney (Joe’s widow) and MODOT

Also sent her contact information for Clay and Vahe as they both worked so hard at this.

It’s airing tonight (not sure exactly which newscast but queue the “it’s happening“ gif)

NOTE: I’m not sure if it’s going to be aired, but made sure to specifically mention the efforts of Clay, 37 Forever and Chiefs Planet during interview. Whether it airs or not, we shall see....
Well it was a nice idea while it lasted. MoDOT makes one visit here and sees the degenerates that are posting here and they will bail.
[Reply]
Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan 05:48 PM 03-04-2021
Would love to get a chance to catch up.

Also, need to get back to Arrowhead for a game one of these days, getting tired of seeing the Chiefs when I'm surrounded by Burgandy or Purple. *sigh*

Although, if COVID lifts, I will get to see the Chiefs twice this year. :-)
[Reply]
TwistedChief 05:58 PM 03-04-2021
Beautifully done, y’all.
[Reply]
burt 03:43 PM 03-08-2021
Significant update (and sentimental update as well)

The Joe Delaney 37th signature was just received and it fittingly was a prominent Planeteer who did it!

37 down
How,exactly, does on become A prominent Planeteer????
[Reply]
AJKCFAN 04:18 PM 03-08-2021
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
Nice job guys. It would be cool if this could be implemented before the new season starts.
From MODOT:

I look forward to your receiving your application. Once the application is received and reviewed, we will forward it, the 100 signatures, and supporting documents onto the Joint Committee on Transportation Oversight for final review and approval. The Committee typically meets at the end of May every year, however, MoDOT has no leverage in when they meet. We are present the application and the Committee’s Secretary places the application on its agenda for review.

During the COVID-19 pandemic, we continue to focus on the health and well-being of the traveling public and our employees. To this end, we have modified some of our routine operations to ensure social distancing of our employees. Sign work is being limited to safety related signs only, meaning those signs that must remain in place to ensure a safe highway system. All other sign work, such as installation of memorial highway designation signs, is being placed on hold until such a time that this activity can be safely accomplished. Even after we move past this pandemic, we will have a backlog of sign work. The backlog is likely to be significant and will need to be prioritized in order of greatest need as it relates to the safety and operation of the highway system. We are committed to installing memorial highway designation signs. We simply ask for patience as the priorities of the department are focused on the health and safety of the public and our employees.

-------------------------------------------------

So even though things are progressing nicely (money for the cost of the signs has officially been paid by the anonymous Chiefs Planet member today) and the Bank will send me the check for me to turn around and submit with the entire package (they want it all at once and not piecemeal), I am guessing that their response today means that due to COVID, Opening Day is too soon for The Joe Delaney Memorial Highway on I-435 signs to be officially unveiled but perhaps at some point this season it will happen.

As for the BBQ contest, nothing is anywhere close to official, but we are making gradual progress at an established Kansas City venue to host it in October. Nothing anywhere close to being announced yet, but hopefully sooner rather than later...
[Reply]
AJKCFAN 04:22 PM 03-08-2021
Originally Posted by burt:
How,exactly, does on become A prominent Planeteer????
Good question - just someone who is very familiar to a lot of Chiefs Planet related events and causes. When this idea was hatched, this person was one of several people who immediately came to mind as someone to contact and it totally blew me away that this person not only showed clear interest, but offered to take care of the entire cost of the signs and did just that....
[Reply]
AJKCFAN 12:43 PM 03-10-2021
Pair of updates:

The entire package to MODOT has been sent and will be received by the representative who I've been dealing with by 2pm KC time tomorrow. The Joe Delaney Memorial Highway on I-435 has moved one tremendous step closer to reality!

Also, the feature on KSHB-41 is expected to now air this evening (March 10) on its 6PM newscast, with Gabriella Pagan doing the feature.

If anyone from the Planet was involved in the signature drive, please PM message me, as I very much would like to express my thanks to you personally!

Thanks again and now it is on to the BBQ Contest....
[Reply]
HayWire 01:07 PM 03-10-2021
Pair of updates:

The entire package to MODOT has been sent and will be received by the representative who I've been dealing with by 2pm KC time tomorrow. The Joe Delaney Memorial Highway on I-435 has moved one tremendous step closer to reality!

Also, the feature on KSHB-41 is expected to now air this evening (March 10) on its 6PM newscast, with Gabriella Pagan doing the feature.

If anyone from the Planet was involved in the signature drive, please PM message me, as I very much would like to express my thanks to you personally!

That's great man. This has been such an awesome project for you to take on. :-)
[Reply]
Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan 06:01 PM 03-10-2021
Pair of updates:

He may have only played 2 seasons with the @Chiefs but the story of Joe Delaney & his heroic death has lived on in a man who's never even lived in @KCMO.

That lasting impact & how @MoDOT_KC plays a role, tonight on @41actionnews at 6p. #ChiefsKingdom

(Courtesy: KC Chiefs) pic.twitter.com/1Faw13Vy4R

— Gabriella Pagán (@GabbyPaganTV) March 10, 2021

[Reply]
HayWire 06:09 PM 03-10-2021
https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news...er-joe-delaney

New York man petitions MoDOT to rename portion of I-435 after Chiefs player Joe Delaney

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Joe Delany only played two seasons with the Kansas City Chiefs.
However, the story of his heroic death has lived on in a man who's never even lived in Kansas City, Missouri.
Tens of thousands of Chiefs fans travel along the stretch of I-435 that leads to Arrowhead Stadium.
Now, Adam Jassey has enough signatures to have the Missouri Department of Transportation name it after Delaney.
"For those who don't know who Joe Delaney is - that's a huge part about what this is all about, he has been largely forgotten," Jassey said.
Jassey was born and raised in Long Island, New York but his parents moved to Kansas City in the 1960's so his father could attend medical school.
The Jassey's loved Kansas City so much they wanted to take a piece of it home with them, so they raised their NYC kids as die-hard Kansas City sports fans.
"It's been great it's like a badge of honor," Jassey said. "I passed it on to my son Brett who is now a third generation Kansas City fan in New York, named after George Brett."
Jassey's true passion for the Chiefs began in 1981 when Delaney was drafted in the second round, and the team had it's first winning season in years.
"He ran for over 1,000 yards, he made the Pro Bowl and it was a reason to get excited that he was going to turn the fortune of the Chiefs around," Jassey said.
Instantly, Delaney became then 9-year-old Jassey's favorite player on the Chiefs.
Learning that Delaney had tragically, yet heroically died in 1983 in Louisiana, stayed with him forever and has culminated to making sure his legacy lives on in the city that first introduced him to number 37.

"I was devastated because it was the loss of my favorite player on the Chiefs," Jassey said. "As I got older and I realized the sacrifice that he made to try and save those children from drowning and he didn't even know how to swim and he still went into those waters to try and do that, kids he didn't even know, and the only person in that park to make that decision to do that, it just made me realize what a selfless hero he is and it's the most heroic thing that I've ever seen any person, athlete or otherwise, ever do." Delaney was married to his wife Carolyn and had three young girls at the time.

"We just grew up childhood friends that ended up in high school dating and getting married right out of high school, I guess Joe was just the love of my life, I would never ever remarry and I know I would never love anyone like I loved Joe," Delany's wife, Carolyn, said.

"Just warms my heart for someone to be looking up to Joe like that and thinking about him now and he was their hero back then and still [is] their hero today," Carolyn said. "It's just a great feeling to know that kids at that age - they remember their heroes and things like that, and Joe was one of them, out of all the peoples you pick Joe Delaney."
According to MODOT, the petition to rename the stretch of l-435 from exit 66 to 63C has more than enough signatures to be considered.
Jassey mailed the application with legislative sponsorship from Missouri Rep. Yolanda Young, Wednesday afternoon.
[Reply]
HayWire 06:48 PM 03-10-2021

[Reply]
HayWire 06:50 PM 03-10-2021
Very well done sir. My only problem is your lack of goatee.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 11
« First < 34567 891011 >
Up