ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 56 of 319
« First < 6465253545556 5758596066106156 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Veach's '21 Offseason Plan to Keep Us Thriving: Let's speculate
Dante84 10:03 AM 02-08-2021
In order to prevent us wasting precious years of Patrick Mahomes' career, Veach needs to work some magic this offseason. What's your advice for him?
[Reply]
Dante84 02:11 AM 02-12-2021

#Raiders WR Nelson Agahlor expected to draw interest from the #Chiefs #Bears and #Colts #NFL

— NFL Rumors & News (@nflrums) February 12, 2021

[Reply]
Cosmos 02:22 AM 02-12-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Well I think anyone who thinks we're going to go sign big money free agents is dreaming.

That's not going to happen.

It's bargain bin and the draft.

I'd love to be wrong.
I’m convinced that we will invest in FA at some level to improve the OL.

I expect that we will draft OL as well, just not relying on the draft, and returning (LDT) for need quality and depth improvement.

The OL will be Veach’s summer long project.
[Reply]
J Diddy 06:01 AM 02-12-2021
Originally Posted by Cosmos:
I’m convinced that we will invest in FA at some level to improve the OL.

I expect that we will draft OL as well, just not relying on the draft, and returning (LDT) for need quality and depth improvement.

The OL will be Veach’s summer long project.
Oh I'm sure we will and I think it'll be similar to what it's been in the past, 1 year deals late in FA.

Anything significant is coming in the draft and most likely not be game ready this year.
[Reply]
dannybcaitlyn 06:49 AM 02-12-2021
Need a respectable running game and it opens up the rsst.
[Reply]
In58men 07:07 AM 02-12-2021
Originally Posted by Dante84:
Weak ass source.

Can’t even spell his last name right.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 07:10 AM 02-12-2021
Agholor seemed to get a lot better this year but if the money is equal I’d prefer Davis I think

Of course there are other factors at play, like which guy really wants to come in and win, further enhance the culture of hard work in that WR room.
[Reply]
In58men 07:32 AM 02-12-2021
Anthony Sherman willing to take less money to stay with the Chiefs

From PFT
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 07:57 AM 02-12-2021
Originally Posted by In58men:
Anthony Sherman willing to take less money to stay with the Chiefs

From PFT
Probably doesn’t have a choice if he wants to be here but I like the precedent he is setting. Win at all costs.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:26 AM 02-12-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
I'm trying to figure out where in the CBA it says you can't cut an injured player. I, personally, have yet to read anything specifically stating you "can't" cut an injured player and that's what the Injury Protection - Benefit (Article 45) segment comes into play in that the Chiefs would be on the hook for medical care/treatment/rehab until the injured player returns.

If someone has the specific excerpt from the CBA with a reference page number, I'd love to read it.

As for the Fisher situation, it appears there are definitely two sides here: those that think he'll return and be back to his old self and those that aren't expecting it based on statistical/medical evidence that suggests he probably won't ever be 100% and there's at least a 25% chance he'll never play again.

Whatever side you pick certainly dictates how you want to see the Chiefs attack the offseason and there will never be agreement on it.

I'd certainly love to go back to thinking everything's fine but there are two truths in the argument:
1. The offensive line cost KC a chance to win the Super Bowl. It takes longer to beat zone than man and teams that have been successful in slowing down the offense have ran zone with a two-deep shell. Mahomes needs more time going forward.
2. Fisher, healthy or not, is a free agent after 2021 unless the team re-signs him and re-signing him is expensive. With the cap implications moving forward, Fisher contributes to less talent elsewhere.

For me, I want to secure the future for Mahomes and the team. I think, given the compounding of injuries for Fisher the past few years, I'd rather send a couple of low-30's 1sts for a top 15 LT and move on. Use his money in FA to get a couple of guys to fill other positions like a solid veteran C and #2 WR that keep the window open now.
For me, it's just not that simple.

It's a heart/head problem.

My heart says "move on from Fisher".

My head says "they won't".

I'm not going to spend the offseason building up for a big let down. The Super Bowl alone was enough of that for a long time.

You guys feel free to discuss it as much as you want, I think I'm done with the subject. At least until free agency even starts (which is almost a month away at this point). We all know what everybody wants. The only thing that remains is to see what they actually do.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:33 AM 02-12-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I've read that you can't just cut an injured player, and I've heard that repeated but I can't tell you for certain where.

At any rate, I largely agree with you, but the only thing that I would disagree with is I'd rather not hurt ourselves next year if we can help it. We may not be able to, but I'd prefer to not mortgage draft capital unless we absolutely must.

And maybe we must, I don't know. I trust Veach to handle it; he rebuilt a historically bad defense in one offseason so who knows. He HAS shown a willingness to part with #1 picks to get a guy he wants. But, everyone knows it's going to be a pick around #30, so there's that.
You technically CAN cut an injured player but you have to reach an injury settlement with them. They don't have to agree for 1. And it doesn't release the cap liability completely either.
[Reply]
penguinz 10:53 AM 02-12-2021
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Complications with his achilles would mean he's missing the 2021 season. It's really not that uncommon for it to rupture a second time during treatment.
This depends 100% on how they repaired. If they suture it together then this is a high possibility.

Being a fatty it would make more sense to do an FHL transfer which will actually make it stronger than it was pre-injury. This repair does impact one's speed and vertical so not an ideal repair for a WR/CB/LB, etc.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:13 PM 02-12-2021
FYI, I did find this if anybody wants to read it.

https://www.nationalfootballpost.com...ry-settlement/

Originally Posted by :
WHAT IS AN INJURY SETTLEMENT?

As each NFL team tweaks their 53-man roster this week, there is still a steady stream of negotiations going on between agents and salary cap managers. Some teams are still rounding off their practice squads and building their emergency short list. The other lesser known activity is the negotiation of injury settlements.

Injury settlements are agreements between players and teams spelling out compensation and other terms in which the two parties will immediately part ways. For example, if a player suffered a preseason injury such as a knee MCL partial tear, it usually takes about six weeks to heal and for the player to get back to full strength. If the player sustained the injury in the final week of the preseason (7 days prior to the 53 cut down date) and all parties agreed it would take six weeks for a full recovery, the parties may agree on a five week regular game settlement. A five-week settlement is appropriate because the first week of the six weeks is still during the preseason. Thus, the player would have most likely missed five weeks of the regular season on the inactive or the injured reserved list. Therefore, the team will pay the player for those five weeks in trade for a full release of liability. So the player will be paid 5/17th of his salary (there are 17 weeks in the season.)

Here are some typical terms and/or components of an injury settlement:

-Player and his representatives release team, doctor, trainers and team’s agents from all liability associated with the injury.
-Team will be responsible for the costs of all second medical opinions, rehabilitation, medical and related expenses. A player may choose to rehab his injury at a place of his own choice.
- Player acknowledges that he has hereby been given notice that he may have rights under the applicable Workers’ Compensation laws of the state in which the team resides.
-Offset language preventing a player from double dipping. It usually goes like this:
The parties further agree if Player signs a new contract with another NFL Team during the first five weeks (using our MCL example) of the 2014 NFL Regular Season, Club’s obligation shall be reduced by the amount of any contractual compensation (including, without limitation, salary, signing, reporting, option and/or incentive bonuses) received or earned by Player from such other NFL Team and Player shall reimburse Club for any such amounts previously paid by Club.

Injury settlements are used in lieu of placing a player on the Injured Reserve (IR) until he is healthy enough to be released. If an injury is deemed to take longer than 17 weeks to recover the player will be placed on IR for the season and receive his full salary (unless he has a split contract). Injury settlements are also used to lighten the load of the training room. If a team has six players who have injuries that require rehabilitation it will tie up the time and resources of the training room. Teams want to move on from players they think wouldn’t have made their team, are expendable talents and/or are easily replaceable.

Injury settlements can also give a team a chance at getting a player back during that same season. There is a rule in place that the team (agreeing to a settlement) can’t resign that player until a minimum of six weeks passes following the amount of weeks of the initial settlement. So for our MCL example, the team cannot resign that player for the first eleven weeks. For a player who did a three week/3 game settlement, his team can’t sign him back until after week nine. However, the player is free to sign with another team.

If a player, usually upon the advice of his agent, doesn’t want to do an injury settlement, it’s the team’s obligation to rehab and give him medical treatment. Once the team and the team’s physician deem the player healthy enough to return to the field, the team will release the player from the injured list. If the player feels he is still injured, he has the right to file an injury grievance against the team. An independent arbitrator (as spelled out in the CBA) will hear the grievance.

Negotiating an injury settlement can be very tricky and can get downright nasty. A player has a right to a second opinion from a doctor of his choice. So a team doctor may say the injury should be completely healed in 6 weeks. A second opinion doctor may say that it could take up to ten weeks for the injury to heal. Therefore, the agent will ask the team for ten or even eleven weeks of salary. The team will propose five or six weeks. The two parties will usually reach an agreement in the middle of the two opinions. In most cases, agents will fight tooth and nail for a time beyond the predicted recovery table to make sure they don’t short change their client. Agents will also try to get a settlement equal to at least 3 game checks in order to garner that player a credited season which would lead to certain benefits if the player had at least three credited seasons. As agents, we know that injuries take longer to heal than what is typically projected.

Although this is how the system works, it is deeply flawed. For one, the system asks a salary cap manager/or GM and an agent to play doctor and predict when a player will be healthy. Two, it relieves teams of liability when an injury could possibly linger for months and/or years. Three, it takes the player out of a controlled football environment and sends him out on his own to rehab and workout.

[Reply]
Hoover 12:23 PM 02-12-2021
Originally Posted by Dante84:
I wanted to sign Agahlor last season, but the experts around her said I was crazy... Now you got to pay real money for that guy.
[Reply]
TEX 12:49 PM 02-12-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
I'm trying to figure out where in the CBA it says you can't cut an injured player. I, personally, have yet to read anything specifically stating you "can't" cut an injured player and that's what the Injury Protection - Benefit (Article 45) segment comes into play in that the Chiefs would be on the hook for medical care/treatment/rehab until the injured player returns.

If someone has the specific excerpt from the CBA with a reference page number, I'd love to read it.

As for the Fisher situation, it appears there are definitely two sides here: those that think he'll return and be back to his old self and those that aren't expecting it based on statistical/medical evidence that suggests he probably won't ever be 100% and there's at least a 25% chance he'll never play again.

Whatever side you pick certainly dictates how you want to see the Chiefs attack the offseason and there will never be agreement on it.

I'd certainly love to go back to thinking everything's fine but there are two truths in the argument:
1. The offensive line cost KC a chance to win the Super Bowl. It takes longer to beat zone than man and teams that have been successful in slowing down the offense have ran zone with a two-deep shell. Mahomes needs more time going forward.
2. Fisher, healthy or not, is a free agent after 2021 unless the team re-signs him and re-signing him is expensive. With the cap implications moving forward, Fisher contributes to less talent elsewhere.

For me, I want to secure the future for Mahomes and the team. I think, given the compounding of injuries for Fisher the past few years, I'd rather send a couple of low-30's 1sts for a top 15 LT and move on. Use his money in FA to get a couple of guys to fill other positions like a solid veteran C and #2 WR that keep the window open now.
I completely agree.
[Reply]
RunKC 02:47 PM 02-12-2021
Reminder for those who forgot:

Originally Posted by :
Starting all 13 games at right tackle for TCU as a junior in 2018, Niang didn't allow a sack the entire season and earned 2nd Team All-Big 12 honors [4] before helpling lead the Frogs to a win over California in the 2018 Cheez-It Bowl.

Prior to his senior season, Niang was named 1st Team Preseason All-Big 12,[6] and The Athletic named him as one of the top offensive linemen in college football. Hall of Fame NFL executive Gil Brandt has named Niang as one of the top offensive line prospects for the 2020 NFL Draft,[8] and ESPN draft expert Todd McShay has projected Niang as a first-round selection and best offensive tackle in the 2020 NFL Draft.
Trust your scouts. This guy should be starting at one of the tackle spots next year depending on what happens to Schwartz
[Reply]
Page 56 of 319
« First < 6465253545556 5758596066106156 > Last »
Up