ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 153 of 319
« First < 53103143149150151152153 154155156157163203253 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Veach's '21 Offseason Plan to Keep Us Thriving: Let's speculate
Dante84 10:03 AM 02-08-2021
In order to prevent us wasting precious years of Patrick Mahomes' career, Veach needs to work some magic this offseason. What's your advice for him?
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:04 PM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Well, considering the Chiefs are in Nickel 70% of the time, replacing Dan Sorensen would be fantastic.

Desean Jackson had more than 1,000 yards from scrimmage as a 2nd round rookie in 2008.

Tyreek Hill had 860 yards from scrimmage and 9 TD's his rookie season.

There are very few positions on the Chiefs roster that can't be upgraded, so it comes down to positional value and for me, Center is near the bottom of that list.
I'd love to replace Sorensen; I don't think you need to do that all that early. A guy like Divine Deablo would be a good option and as late as round 4. Jacoby Stevens too.

Jackson was 13 years ago. Hill was indeed an immediate impact; but he's also a freak physically, and that's not something that will be available at #31.

As you neglected LB I'll assume we're in agreement that 1)no rookie is going to unseat Hitchens, as he's the signal caller, and 2) it's way too early to give up on Gay. And as you say, we're in nickel most of the time, so I'd say LB is nowhere near the top of the must have day 1 list.

And as for center being low down your list, I'd say that an above average player there makes Mahomes more effective, and Clyde more effective, and so makes a pretty big positive difference.

We can do it in the draft, or we can do it in FA, but we ought to do it.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:16 PM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Jackson was 13 years ago. Hill was indeed an immediate impact; but he's also a freak physically, and that's not something that will be available at #31.
That is pure speculation, especially considering that Hill went in the 5th round. Stephon Diggs was a 5th rounder as well.

And as for center being low down your list, I'd say that an above average player there makes Mahomes more effective, and Clyde more effective, and so makes a pretty big positive difference..
The offensive line works as a team. Again, there is no way the Chiefs are going to have 5 All Pro lineman, so an average player in that position will be just fine, especially considering Allegretti will have had 9 Regular Season starts and 3 post season starts, while LDT will return to the right side.

Personally, I'd rather the Chiefs spend their 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks on immediate impact players, especially those players that "Play on an Island", not on a rookie center, especially if the NFL decides to forego Minicamps and OTA's.

The great Cesar Ruiz is a perfect example. The dude fucking sucked ass his rookie year.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:38 PM 03-04-2021
That is pure speculation, especially considering that Hill went in the 5th round. Stephon Diggs was a 5th rounder as well.

The offensive line works as a team. Again, there is no way the Chiefs are going to have 5 All Pro lineman, so an average player in that position will be just fine, especially considering Allegretti will have had 9 Regular Season starts and 3 post season starts, while LDT will return to the right side.

Personally, I'd rather the Chiefs spend their 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks on immediate impact players, especially those players that "Play on an Island", not on a rookie center, especially if the NFL decides to forego Minicamps and OTA's.

The great Cesar Ruiz is a perfect example. The dude ****ing sucked ass his rookie year.
Ok, but we know why Hill went in the 5th round.

and I'm down with Alegretti and LDT at G. Especially if you put a better C in between. And I'm glad it sounds like Fisher and Schwartz are going to be good to go. And there's Niang just in case.

I just really don't understand this theory you have that Reid can trot whatever bullshit off the street he can stick in a uniform and scheme around it. I mean you said that before the Super Bowl, and were clearly wrong. I'd rather not have that happen again and somehow that's just crazy talk. A third round pick on a center? CRAZY.

And when I ask what positions a rookie is going to start in, you give me...Sorensen's spot. And maybe a WR. Even though there are two in 13 years that have shown anything near #2 numbers in Reid's offense.

But somehow that seems more reasonable than shoring up an obvious weakness.

I really don't get it. You still have to hold your own at the line of scrimmage.

Which is why I'm for a DE as our first pick.
[Reply]
BossChief 06:42 PM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
If you're not going to bullshit me, currently all I'd like to see them do is sign Linsley/draft Humphrey and trade up a bit for Vera-Tucker. That gives you the versatility you'd need in all scenarios, regardless of if Fisher and Schwartz can return to form or not, and it gives you both bookends of the future with Tucker and Niang since I really don't see a pathway to Fisher being with us after this season. If he has complications with the Achilles it's really hard to factor him in to future plans and if he returns and plays to his usual level he'll price himself out of an extension with us, especially with the looming cap boom. As for veteran back ups I'd say with the cap cuts looming across the NFL there'll be a glut of competent veteran linemen without injury concerns as severe as Peters and Osemele.
tucker is a guy I’d have interest in, but not in with trading up and maybe not even at 31.

He’s not a given to be good at the NFL level at LT. He wasn’t good in the bowl game against good competition. It was pretty much the only time he faced top tier competition and he got ran.

He might drop significantly because of that game.

I just really disagree.

He's a fair pass protector. He's a terrible run blocker. That doesn't equal really good to me.

Hudson was really good. Morse was good too, just slightly less. Reiter is worse than Morse at everything but being available.
Agreed
It's difficult for me to believe teams will pay $10+ million for a center in a year in which the salary cap has been reduced by 8%.

Most teams are going to have major difficulty keep their best and highest paid players, so if there's an ever been a year in which talented guys want a job, the market will be flooded with guys that can step in and start Week 1 without issue.

Also, I think the numbers thrown around for Reiter are speculative at best and way off at worst.

I don't think there will be much of a market out there for a 30 year center, who's never made a Pro Bowl, let alone the All Pro list, asking in excess of $10 million per but I guess stranger things have happened.

While I think it would be nice to keep him, I just hope the Chiefs don't make Reiter their second highest paid offensive lineman.
Lots of teams out there with new QBs they just paid a mint for and the next step is to protect them. Not an abundance of top pass blocking centers available.

There are 12 centers making 9m and up in the league and Reiter is probably the second best option available.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:51 PM 03-04-2021

The great Cesar Ruiz is a perfect example. The dude ****ing sucked ass his rookie year.
They don't need to be all-pros, but they should all at least be of respectable starting quality. Come on, man.
[Reply]
The Franchise 06:52 PM 03-04-2021
Who can we take, realistically, at #31 that’s going to start day 1?
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 06:54 PM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Probably just DE, WR, or OL.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:58 PM 03-04-2021
A few DE's.

Any of 3 C's.

probably not starting, but a few WR's would probably play a lot in tailored packages. Same if they took a guy like Brevin Jordan.

Maybe a safety to take Sorensen's spot.

If Fisher or Schwartz aren't 100% there might be a couple or three OT's.

And that's about it that I see, really.
[Reply]
The Franchise 07:02 PM 03-04-2021
NFL.com listed one dream FA for each AFC team.

The Chiefs? Austin Reiter.

:-)
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 07:03 PM 03-04-2021
Nah, not seeing a rookie S starting. If they run 5 men in the backfield I imagine it'd look like Ward and Fenton at the CB spots, Thornhill being used as the deep S, and Mathieu and Sneed being chess pieces to fill what Spags needs on the current play. Maybe Baker takes Fentons spot if he can play and learn the coverages quick enough.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 07:04 PM 03-04-2021
Giants discussing moving on from Zeitler.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:05 PM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Nah, not seeing a rookie S starting. If they run 5 men in the backfield I imagine it'd look like Ward and Fenton at the CB spots, Thornhill being used as the deep S, and Mathieu and Sneed being chess pieces to fill what Spags needs on the current play. Maybe Baker takes Fentons spot if he can play and learn the coverages quick enough.
It'd be specifically to replace Sorensen, and that's it.

I'm not saying I'm for it; I'm not, at least not early in the draft. There are some bigger, faster safeties than Sorensen to be had later in the draft.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:05 PM 03-04-2021
NFL.com listed one dream FA for each AFC team.

The Chiefs? Austin Reiter.

:-)
gross.

I'm going to be really disappointed if we throw a bunch of money at Reiter.
[Reply]
The Franchise 07:06 PM 03-04-2021
gross.
Why wouldn’t a dream FA signing be Linsley in that situation? Fucking stupid.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:07 PM 03-04-2021
Why wouldn’t a dream FA signing be Linsley in that situation? ****ing stupid.
Absolutely.
[Reply]
Page 153 of 319
« First < 53103143149150151152153 154155156157163203253 > Last »
Up