ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 29 of 40
« First < 192526272829 3031323339 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>The logic of drafting OT in the 1st.
Direckshun 01:23 PM 01-21-2021
What we know about this team is that it typically likes to fill its roster out as much as possible in free agency and then spend its highest picks on potential replacements for job openings a year down the road, and that includes Veach.

I doubt I even need to run down the list but:

2020: CEH --> Williams
2019: Hardman --> Hill/Watkins
2018: Speaks --> Ford/Houston
2017: Mahomes --> Smith

Fisher will be on the last year of his contract, and most of us suspect Schwartz retiring.

The Chiefs obviously like Niang but going OT 1st gives them the options:It just seems like the kind of move that gives them the flexibility in future decisions that they like to have.

I'd rather they go DE, even if it means trading up for one. But based on what we know, OT could ostensibly solve up to two different OL spots in 2021 and gives them all kinds of options in 2022 based on how 2021 goes.
[Reply]
O.city 01:50 PM 02-06-2021
If you could get rankin to be good, not elite or great but just a good solid LT, that would be huge
[Reply]
KChiefs1 01:50 PM 02-06-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
For a report that was posted last night....it’s Rankin at LT and Remmers at RT.

I have to see it to believe it.

If it’s true then the Chiefs must believe they have their LT for 2021.
[Reply]
The Franchise 01:54 PM 02-06-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
If you could get rankin to be good, not elite or great but just a good solid LT, that would be huge
It really means that we can either roll with Britt at center or find one through the draft.

Rankin - Allegretti - Britt - LDT - Niang
[Reply]
O.city 01:57 PM 02-06-2021
It really means that we can either roll with Britt at center or find one through the draft.

Eh I’d look to find a long term center in the draft
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:59 PM 02-06-2021
A LT is on an island blocking the most physically gifted athletes in the world. And Achilles is probably the worst possible injury for a player these days. Once he’s recovered and ready to go, he’ll be 32 and needing a mew contract coming off injury.

He may very well come back and be fine. But I’d be looking at all my options
He just turned 30 years old so even if he misses the entire 2021 season, he'll only be 31 years old at the start of the 2022 season, not 32 going on 33.

He'll have at least 4 more years of play at a high level, so I'm not concerned about him, at all.

Achilles injuries aren't career ending anymore. Hell, Terrell Suggs tore his Achilles and was back on the field 5 months later.
[Reply]
RunKC 01:59 PM 02-06-2021
Eh I’d say the worst injuries a tackle could have are full blown knee repair (CC Justin Houston), a severe back injury and a shoulder injury. I think all those are way worse than Achilles.

Remember Fisher had a shoulder injury and he struggled for more than a year bc he couldn’t do very much strength training due to that rehab.
[Reply]
O.city 02:03 PM 02-06-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
He just turned 30 years old so even if he misses the entire 2021 season, he'll only be 31 years old at the start of the 2022 season, not 32 going on 33.

He'll have at least 4 more years of play at a high level, so I'm not concerned about him, at all.

Achilles injuries aren't career ending anymore. Hell, Terrell Suggs tore his Achilles and was back on the field 5 months later.
He’ll also need a new contract and LT contracts of players his caliber aren’t cheap.

Would you be ok signing him to that coming off this?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:04 PM 02-06-2021

Did the Chiefs sign Justin Britt? He's not listed on the Chiefs website and I can't find a link to a signing.

He was a free agent all of 2020 and never signed with a team.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:07 PM 02-06-2021
He’ll also need a new contract and LT contracts of players his caliber aren’t cheap.

Would you be ok signing him to that coming off this?
Wait a minute. You went from saying that he won't be available because of the Achilles injury and age to stating that he'll need a new, expensive contract.

Which is it?
[Reply]
The Franchise 02:09 PM 02-06-2021
Did the Chiefs sign Justin Britt? He's not listed on the Chiefs website and I can't find a link to a signing.

He was a free agent all of 2020 and never signed with a team.
I believe they signed him to a futures deal.

Edit: Maybe it was just a visit.
[Reply]
RunKC 02:10 PM 02-06-2021

Agree with Dane.

I think Veach could work an extension to have his 2021 $15 million cap hit changed to a much lower number since he’ll be rehabbing his Achilles.

Fisher would then get a nice signing bonus for his new deal and we keep him until he’s 33 or 34 and can have more time.

Makes too much sense IMO
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:12 PM 02-06-2021
I believe they signed him to a futures deal.
Hmmm. All I can find is his visit on January 21st. No mention of a Future's contract, at least that I can find.

That said, he'd be a nice alternative to Kilgore, who's a much better run blocker than pass blocker and not a good scheme fit.
[Reply]
O.city 02:12 PM 02-06-2021
Wait a minute. You went from saying that he won't be available because of the Achilles injury and age to stating that he'll need a new, expensive contract.

Which is it?
He’ll be out all of next year.

The next season back he’ll need a new contract if he comes back and plays. I told the person who told me about him planning to retire it’s easy to say that until a team wants to pay you that many millions and that I was skeptical he’d retire but they were pretty adamant.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:17 PM 02-06-2021
He’ll be out all of next year.
That's speculation. As I stated earlier, Terrell Suggs tore his Achilles back in 2012 and was back on the field in 5 months and 6 days.

Now, I'm not stating that Fisher will return by April or May but there's been no mention of recovery time by the Chiefs just yet.

The next season back he’ll need a new contract if he comes back and plays. I told the person who told me about him planning to retire it’s easy to say that until a team wants to pay you that many millions and that I was skeptical he’d retire but they were pretty adamant.
He's earned nearly $70 million since 2013 so he's all set if he plans to retire but until then, I have to think that the Chiefs will work out some kind of injury settlement for him to rehab with the team and prepare for the 2022 season.

I'd be really shocked if they washed their hands of him, especially considering he was their #1 overall pick whose game continues to improve each season.
[Reply]
O.city 02:21 PM 02-06-2021
That's speculation. As I stated earlier, Terrell Suggs tore his Achilles back in 2012 and was back on the field in 5 months and 6 days.

Now, I'm not stating that Fisher will return by April or May but there's been no mention of recovery time by the Chiefs just yet.

He's earned nearly $70 million since 2013 so he's all set if he plans to retire but until then, I have to think that the Chiefs will work out some kind of injury settlement for him to rehab with the team and prepare for the 2022 season.

I'd be really shocked if they washed their hands of him, especially considering he was their #1 overall pick whose game continues to improve each season.
Just saying what I was told.

I’d say Suggs is more outlier here thoigh. That’s super quick. I’d guess middle of next year with 2022 back to full health being more likely.

He and his wife are expecting their first and he’s made 70 million. Feels like he can get out now with full health and be set for life with his family. Again, things change so who knows but that’s just what I was told.
[Reply]
Page 29 of 40
« First < 192526272829 3031323339 > Last »
Up