ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 21 of 40
« First < 111718192021 2223242531 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>The logic of drafting OT in the 1st.
Direckshun 01:23 PM 01-21-2021
What we know about this team is that it typically likes to fill its roster out as much as possible in free agency and then spend its highest picks on potential replacements for job openings a year down the road, and that includes Veach.

I doubt I even need to run down the list but:

2020: CEH --> Williams
2019: Hardman --> Hill/Watkins
2018: Speaks --> Ford/Houston
2017: Mahomes --> Smith

Fisher will be on the last year of his contract, and most of us suspect Schwartz retiring.

The Chiefs obviously like Niang but going OT 1st gives them the options:It just seems like the kind of move that gives them the flexibility in future decisions that they like to have.

I'd rather they go DE, even if it means trading up for one. But based on what we know, OT could ostensibly solve up to two different OL spots in 2021 and gives them all kinds of options in 2022 based on how 2021 goes.
[Reply]
The Franchise 01:00 PM 02-04-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I just don't see all of the panic about the offensive line.

The past few nights, the NFL Network has replayed the 2018 regular season game against the Patriots as well as the AFC Championship game, and regardless of who has started, the line performed fine, whether it was Wylie or LDT or Cam Erving at LG or any iteration.

I think there's a better than good chance that the Chiefs starting offensive line will be either Fisher or a fill-in at LT, Allegretti, Reiter, LDT and Wylie, if Schwartz is actually retires.

I think it would be great if the Chiefs can re-sign Remmers and Wiz as backups, leaving Niang and a draftee to battle out at LT. I could see them snagging another IOL from the 5th-7th, watch the guy sit for a year, then move into the RG or Center position but I just cannot envision a scenario in which they draft a pair of tackles and a center while forcing them to start the 2021 season.

That just doesn't jibe with Veach and Reid's philosophy.
Reiter is gone. No way do we pay that much money to keep him.

But I’m not overly worried about the offensive line either.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:06 PM 02-04-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Reiter is gone. No way do we pay that much money to keep him.

But I’m not overly worried about the offensive line either.
Sure, I completely agree but I just have a hard time believing that any team will offer him the kind of money that Spotrac is projecting. It would be great for him and his family if he can snag $11 million per but that really seems to be an egregious number for a 29 year old center.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him back on a backloaded 2 year, $12-15 million dollar deal with a minimal cap hit in 2021 because Reid really likes "His guys" and Reiter definitely fits that description.

The Chiefs went 5-3 with Cam freaking Erving at Left Tackle so I don't think the situation is as dire as some believe.
[Reply]
Direckshun 01:26 PM 02-04-2021
A midround WR you should keep your eye on is Josh Imatorbhebhe of Illinois.

This guy has all the tools to be a really good X. Just needs coaching.

[Reply]
frozenchief 02:20 PM 02-04-2021
The Chiefs went 5-3 with Cam freaking Erving at Left Tackle so I don't think the situation is as dire as some believe.
THis is a good point. Don't forget Fisher was playing at 50% when we played the Saints and we did pretty well. Would I prefer Fisher at LT? Obviously. But Andy has 2 weeks to scheme and there are a lot of things that he can do in those two weeks to compensate for some O-line weakness.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:29 PM 02-04-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
And absolutely if you take a T at 32, he starts day one.
Then you can't just take any of these guys.

Several of the prospects being discussed will be GUARDS in the NFL. And a handful more will require time to develop.

So it isn't as simple as "take the OT available at 32". It's a lot more complicated than that.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:30 PM 02-04-2021
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
:-) Good grief, this is way over the top melodramatic. Just because we're most likely going to spend a single Offseason building our OL back up after both our bookends suffered at best significantly career altering injuries doesn't mean we're never going to be able to find more offensive skill position players.
It's going to take more than an offseason to replenish the line and if some people around here had their way, you know damn well that what I'm talking about is accurate.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:32 PM 02-04-2021
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
A midround WR you should keep your eye on is Josh Imatorbhebhe of Illinois.

This guy has all the tools to be a really good X. Just needs coaching.

He needs a lot more than just coaching. He's extremely raw.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:34 PM 02-04-2021
Sure, I completely agree but I just have a hard time believing that any team will offer him the kind of money that Spotrac is projecting. It would be great for him and his family if he can snag $11 million per but that really seems to be an egregious number for a 29 year old center.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him back on a backloaded 2 year, $12-15 million dollar deal with a minimal cap hit in 2021 because Reid really likes "His guys" and Reiter definitely fits that description.

There are people here that were saying the entire IOL needed replaced prior to the Fisher injury and now they're saying we need two tackles.
[Reply]
Direckshun 02:45 PM 02-04-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
He needs a lot more than just coaching. He's extremely raw.
So... coaching?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:56 PM 02-04-2021
There are people here that were saying the entire IOL needed replaced prior to the Fisher injury and now they're saying we need two tackles.
Maybe it's due to the small sample size or maybe it's more natural for him to play outside but I have to say, there's really no reason to draft and start a rookie Right Tackle when Wylie has done a pretty damn good job in spot duty this season.

With a full offseason and training camp, I think Wylie would be just fine, if not well above average, at the Right Tackle position.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:12 PM 02-04-2021
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
So... coaching?
No, not just coaching, he's going to need a ton of luck. He's a guy that might not even make the roster because he can't even digest a playbook.

Compared to him, Hardman was medium rare.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:13 PM 02-04-2021
Maybe it's due to the small sample size or maybe it's more natural for him to play outside but I have to say, there's really no reason to draft and start a rookie Right Tackle when Wylie has done a pretty damn good job in spot duty this season.

With a full offseason and training camp, I think Wylie would be just fine, if not well above average, at the Right Tackle position.
That's you though.

Wylie is, in general, the most despised OL starter on CP. People wanted him cut yesterday. Do you think they're going to be okay with him being the opening day RT? Because if they draft a guard, that's where he's going to end up.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:14 PM 02-04-2021
Well I hope you're not including me in that.

I think it's wise to not count on Fisher.

I think you need to bring Remmers back. Super-sub/insurance plan.

I DO think you need one tackle. I don't believe you just hand a spot to Niang, and I'd rather not see the Rankin show at LT.

We will need to figure something out at C, whether it be internal or a cheap vet, but if we draft one, I don't think you assume he starts either right away. I'm curious as to how the Justin Britt work-out went. That could be a nice stopgap guy. He's still only 29.

Durant just looks too slow afoot for an OT, but is a maybe at Guard.

I mean there could be some options already here and it could be that Veach knows exactly who will be ready to play and where, but WE don't, so we speculate.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:15 PM 02-04-2021
That's you though.

Wylie is, in general, the most despised OL starter on CP. People wanted him cut yesterday. Do you think they're going to be okay with him being the opening day RT? Because if they draft a guard, that's where he's going to end up.
To be completely honest, I couldn't care less what the ill and uninformed CP population feels about the roster, period.

This forum worships Byron fucking Pringle and thinks he's as good or better than Sammy Watkins.

That says it all.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:18 PM 02-04-2021
That's you though.

I think he's better outside than inside, which is kind of surprising. Or maybe not, as I suppose his best trait is being generally pretty athletic. He's not very powerful, and that looks pretty bad inside when we try to run.

I don't know that I'd say he's above average though.
[Reply]
Page 21 of 40
« First < 111718192021 2223242531 > Last »
Up