DaFace 03:09 PM 11-08-2017
Originally Posted by ChiTown:
4K shares
Damn. You're a little ahead of me. :-)
[Reply]
lewdog 03:38 PM 11-08-2017
Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage:
They sell people. Small one person offices with someone you can talk with
That person will likely sell you whatever pays them the most. They got in trouble w/ the SEC for not disclosing that conflict of interest so now it's in a document on the website

In that document you can see which funds are paying them. It's your AUM collectors you see in lots of shitty small company 401ks charging 1.4%. American Funds, John Hancock.

They are very, very popular and it surprises me. When the DOL fiduciary rule came out their first public position was that they would pull mutual funds and ETFs from their IRA options. Seriously
Just read some articles pertaining to them. Jesus, terrible.

Munson, switch your money to something else. Edward Jones will be taking way too much of your future money!
[Reply]
Munson 03:50 PM 11-08-2017
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Just read some articles pertaining to them. Jesus, terrible.

Munson, switch your money to something else. Edward Jones will be taking way too much of your future money!
You guys have me worried. Honestly, I've never had a problem with them.
[Reply]
DaFace 04:34 PM 11-08-2017
Originally Posted by Munson:
You guys have me worried. Honestly, I've never had a problem with them.
You shouldn't be worried, per se. I started with an Ed Jones guy for a year or two who helped me wrap my brain around some things. My in-laws are still with Ed Jones.

But you should definitely look into the fees on your accounts and expense ratios on your funds. Chances are you're leaving 1-2% on the table just to pay for a guy you can call from time to time. Is that the end of the world? Not necessarily. But over the long run, it can cost you tens (hundreds?) of thousands of dollars.

Here's a more thorough writeup about it.

https://investorjunkie.com/29127/edward-jones-review/
[Reply]
philfree 05:06 PM 11-08-2017
I haven't been buying stocks for very long but I have a stock I purchased back in late August that's up 35%. I actually bought a subscription from a stock guru and most of the stocks I've purchased with his advice are doing well. The only thing with that is I'm constantly spammed to buy into another subscription. It's annoying. I have my guy at Ameriprise do the buying for me but my stocks blow away his ETFs. They're making money but they're holding me back. Of course I told him in the beginning that I was conservative so that's the way he originally set up my portfolio. I also get a discount on fees and pay only 1/2%. I bought NVDA on Chiefs Planets advice and it's rolling too. Up 28.5 % since I purchased it. :-) I also have some at Morgan Stanely and then my 401K with Principal. That account has grown a bunch in the last 2 years. If they get the tax plan through we'll all keep bank rolling. I'm afraid the jackass politicians are going to screw it up though.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 06:47 PM 11-08-2017
Profit taking today on NVDA. We'll see what the earnings report brings tomorrow morning, Philfree. I saw a DB analyst upgraded price target to 190 today
[Reply]
Cornstock 10:06 PM 11-09-2017
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Yeah, I think Ed Jones has a place in the world for people who really have trouble figuring out how to invest or who are way behind on their strategy. But for the most part, their fees are stupid high, and you would be better off with even just doing a target date fund on your own.
Right, firms like ed Jones sell the fact that they will help you get to a realistic retirement goal with a very high probability. For a lot of people, that's all they ask; preserve their hard earned principal and grow a bit over inflation, or create an income strategy to supplement social security and provide an above modest lifestyle in retirement.

It's great for the "Just make it work" crowd, for those who don't have the time or desire to do it yourself. I compare it to changing your own oil. I could do it myself, but id rather pay someone to do it for me.

If you're concerned enough about it to be posting in here, ed Jones is probably not the best route. But there is a market for it.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 11:42 AM 11-10-2017
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-in-2-minutes

Singles Day firing up. Read 7.5 billion USD sales in first 40 minutes a bit ago for just BABA. JD shot up into green quick. Gotta respect making up new holidays to get ppl to spend money.
[Reply]
scho63 12:15 PM 11-10-2017
Bought 500 GE at $19.94
[Reply]
eDave 02:30 PM 11-10-2017
Nice modest two day correction for DOW this week. Nice. Should take off again.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 10:56 AM 11-11-2017
Midnight. Alibabas online ticker finishes at 168 billion RMB for the day. 25 bill USD. About 50% more than last year

Jingdong may have had a huge day though. They had a screenshot on Twitter showing them at 111 billion RMB at 2:40 pm local time. If they're neck and neck with BABA in GMV they just gobbled up a lot of marketshare
[Reply]
lewdog 09:04 PM 11-12-2017
Originally Posted by scho63:
Bought 500 GE at $19.94
Originally Posted by :
General Electric in such financial stress that it may soon do the unthinkable: cut its beloved dividend.

John Flannery, GE's new chief executive, is under enormous pressure to restore confidence in a company facing a serious cash crunch and a nosediving stock price. One-third of GE's market value has vanished this year, making it the biggest Dow loser by a long shot.
GE (GE) is holding an investor update on Monday to detail a strategy to stabilize the company by slashing costs and selling off more businesses. Wall Street analysts are bracing for Flannery to announce layoffs and just the second cut to GE's coveted dividend since the Great Depression.
GE confirmed in a statement on Friday that "employee reductions," some of which have already begun, are part of a previously-announced plan to cut costs by $3 billion.
After GE reported awful results last month, Flannery said the dividend remains a "priority," but he didn't rule out a reduction.
The problem is GE isn't generating enough cash to cover dividend payouts promised to shareholders. It's a stunning development given GE's iconic status and a sprawling business that makes everything from jet engines and light bulbs to MRI machines.
GE is one of America's most widely-held stocks, making a decision to cut the dividend even tougher. Countless shareholders, including retirees, have come to rely on the quarterly dividend payments.
"Retail investors have stuck with GE through many, many years of underperformance simply because they've counted on that dividend," said John Inch, a Deutsche Bank analyst with a "sell" rating on GE.
"If you cut that dividend, all of a sudden that confidence is shaken," Inch said.
GE says it's been paying its dividend for more than a century, "proving its strength and reliability." The first dividend cut occurred in 1938 in the midst of the Great Depression.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/12/inve...ill/index.html
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:07 PM 11-12-2017
Man. What is the world coming to? GE isn’t worth owning. :-)

Goddamn it I’m getting Old.
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:18 PM 11-12-2017
Originally Posted by scho63:
Bought 500 GE at $19.94
Way ahead of you. I bought it years ago at 26.92.
[Reply]
scho63 09:20 PM 11-12-2017
Originally Posted by lewdog:
http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/12/inve...ill/index.html
I expect it to be cut and want it to be cut. :-)
[Reply]
Page 93 of 934
« First < 43838990919293 94959697103143193593 > Last »
Up