Page 23 of 929
« First < 131920212223 242526273373123523 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
petegz28 01:26 PM 08-18-2016
Originally Posted by wutamess:
Fidelity for me. 7.95/transaction. Bought in at APPL @ $128. Hopefully I can get my $ back. It went as low as $90 in the last 4 months. When do you guys pullout?
AAPL is looking fairly bullish on a long term basis. Just like any other stock, as long as the market doesn't tank, you should get a run back to $130. I see a lot of bullish divergences on that chart.

Note the higher low on the MACD vs. a lower low on the price. That's a strong indicator of a bottom.

Along with the the MACD breaking above the 0 line as well. However, if the market stalls here as a whole, you probably are looking at the high of a trading range. On a short term basis AAPL is definitely overbought and hitting some resistance but that is also the behavior of a trend beginning too. I'd say if you break above $112 it will be a good sign of a strong run.

Heading into Sept and Oct with an election coming up could stall the entire market though.
Attached: aapl.png (74.7 KB) 
[Reply]
wutamess 02:34 PM 08-18-2016
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Is your goal to maximize the reward for what you've risked or to get a sustainable return on investment?
Sustainable return.
[Reply]
wutamess 02:40 PM 08-18-2016
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Why don't you take some time and learn to read charts? It's not difficult and there are a ton of books out there that will explain how to do it.
Because there's tons of charts and data that could be used for charting. Don't have the attention span to decrypt through the bullshit. I just want to The Walking Dead to not have seasons and to run like the soaps and not have to worry about charts while my money grows.

Probably about to become a slum lord again soon as I know that's a sustainable return.
[Reply]
Amnorix 02:46 PM 08-18-2016
Because there's tons of charts and data that could be used for charting. Don't have the attention span to decrypt through the bullshit. I just want to The Walking Dead to not have seasons and to run like the soaps and not have to worry about charts while my money grows.

Probably about to become a slum lord again soon as I know that's a sustainable return.
Slum lord is a good way to go.

So is mindlessly investing in very low cost index funds (or ETFs, as you prefer) on a systematic basis. That approach gives you diversification and participation with relatively minimal effort. You're not trying to time the market, and you're not trying to outperform the market in general. Basically, market returns for as little cost as possible.

https://www.amazon.com/Random-Walk-D...1553064&sr=1-1
[Reply]
NewChief 04:10 PM 08-18-2016
Curious what folks think about Robo-Advisors like Wealthfront?
[Reply]
petegz28 04:20 PM 08-18-2016

Then just put your money in an SP500 fund and some bond funds and be done with it.
[Reply]
DaFace 04:21 PM 08-18-2016
Originally Posted by NewChief:
The idea of them sounds nice. I've always been skeptical that they'll outperform a simple index fund, though, once you account for a little bit in extra fees.
[Reply]
lewdog 05:15 PM 08-18-2016
Originally Posted by DaFace:
The idea of them sounds nice. I've always been skeptical that they'll outperform a simple index fund, though, once you account for a little bit in extra fees.
Agreed. People see something like a higher return and think it's worthwhile. If the fees you pay for that return make your net gain less than an index, it's simply not worth it. I have found that people have a hard time adjusting for fee cost into their return. A small re-occurring fee may not seem like a lot, but 1-2% on a total investment, really IS a lot.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 06:51 PM 08-18-2016
Originally Posted by NewChief:
Logged back in here for the first time in a while, that said I love this thread.
I use wealthfront for some taxable; i think it's a reasonable deal for what's provided if you're comfortable with how aggressive they are (including Betterment, etc.).
[Reply]
petegz28 07:20 PM 08-18-2016
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Agreed. People see something like a higher return and think it's worthwhile. If the fees you pay for that return make your net gain less than an index, it's simply not worth it. I have found that people have a hard time adjusting for fee cost into their return. A small re-occurring fee may not seem like a lot, but 1-2% on a total investment, really IS a lot.
Here is a bit of .05 wisdom that I cling too....

Fund Managers spend their entire career trying to beat the SP500....
Most cannot do it consistently...
So an SP500 fund should be the core of any portfolio....
[Reply]
Amnorix 06:53 AM 08-19-2016

First thing you've ever said about investing that made any damn sense.

:-)
[Reply]
ChiTown 07:32 AM 08-19-2016

:-)
[Reply]
wutamess 08:11 AM 08-19-2016
Then just put your money in an SP500 fund and some bond funds and be done with it.
I do that too.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:26 AM 08-19-2016
I do that too.
Well quit buying stocks based on solely analyst ratings. They are nice as a confirmation indicator but I would never buy or sell anything because some nut with a calculator says too. They don't know how to run AAPL. They most likely are working for a firm or have contacts with firms that are looking to dump AAPL so they put a "Buy" rating on it so the poor schleps will fork over their money to the bog boys as the big boys sell.

If you're going to trade or even invest in individual stocks you are going to have to either learn fundamental-based investing or technical-based (chart reading) investing and I would encourage you to do both. Otherwise you are just going with a gut feeling or otherwise a "hot tip". You don't have to have an MBA to trade based on fundamentals and you don't have to spend hours upon hours pouring over charts to trade based on technicals.

What you do need to do is have a plan and some criteria and rules. Understand the more savvy side of things. Perhaps you should have bought a Put when you bought your AAPL as a hedge? Or perhaps you should have sold a long time ago using a Stop-Loss rule of 10% and took your lumps and walked away?

These are the things I am talking about. If you're going to do it, then do it and do it right. Otherwise just $-cost average into mutual funds and call it a day. There is nothing wrong with doing that at all, it's just boring but often works out much better in the long run.
[Reply]
wutamess 09:16 AM 08-19-2016
Well quit buying stocks based on solely analyst ratings. They are nice as a confirmation indicator but I would never buy or sell anything because some nut with a calculator says too. They don't know how to run AAPL. They most likely are working for a firm or have contacts with firms that are looking to dump AAPL so they put a "Buy" rating on it so the poor schleps will fork over their money to the bog boys as the big boys sell.

If you're going to trade or even invest in individual stocks you are going to have to either learn fundamental-based investing or technical-based (chart reading) investing and I would encourage you to do both. Otherwise you are just going with a gut feeling or otherwise a "hot tip". You don't have to have an MBA to trade based on fundamentals and you don't have to spend hours upon hours pouring over charts to trade based on technicals.

What you do need to do is have a plan and some criteria and rules. Understand the more savvy side of things. Perhaps you should have bought a Put when you bought your AAPL as a hedge? Or perhaps you should have sold a long time ago using a Stop-Loss rule of 10% and took your lumps and walked away?

These are the things I am talking about. If you're going to do it, then do it and do it right. Otherwise just $-cost average into mutual funds and call it a day. There is nothing wrong with doing that at all, it's just boring but often works out much better in the long run.
One of the rare times I actually agree with you. I'll be hitting you up for more suggestions later.
[Reply]
Page 23 of 929
« First < 131920212223 242526273373123523 > Last »
Up