ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Should Chiefs worry about sagging pass-rush production?
htismaqe 10:22 AM 11-26-2020
https://www.espn.com/blog/kansas-cit...ush-production

Should Chiefs worry about sagging pass-rush production?

Originally Posted by :
The Chiefs paid big money to Jones and Clark -- on average $20 million per year through 2023 for Jones and $20.8 million through 2023 for Clark -- to lead their pass rush in games such as Sunday's in Las Vegas, but they aren't always getting results. They are 21st in sacks per opponent dropbacks, at 5%, though they are leading the NFL in pass-rush pressure, which they are getting on almost 40% of the opponent's dropbacks. So while the Chiefs are frequently affecting the opposing quarterback, getting him off his spot or rushing a throw, they aren't as often creating the negative-yardage plays that can get the opposing offense off the field quicker.

[Reply]
alanm 09:18 PM 11-26-2020
Originally Posted by frozenchief:
Considering Hudson used to be a Chief, you can say we DID give them that.
Hudson chose to go to the Faid. Damn traitor. :-)
[Reply]
ROYC75 09:24 PM 11-26-2020
To be perfectly fair here, just how many games have we played this year with a healthy defense? We have either had issues on the DL or the DB's, most times it's been a combination of both with the same poor LB's play.

KC is not blessed with All World talent on the line or the back side that is going to be called upon in every game.

Last year after the bye, we goy healthier and the overall team defense got better, jelled as the season progressed. We can only hope that this year comes along the same way. Picking up Suggs last year helped, just don't think picking up Suggs again or a similar player of same talent like last year.

This year, IMHO it is all going to have to come together from within. Getting healthy, front and back ends of the D coming together.
[Reply]
dlphg9 10:41 PM 11-26-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
https://www.espn.com/blog/kansas-cit...ush-production

Should Chiefs worry about sagging pass-rush production?
This sounds more like a coverage problem than a pass rush problem. Our safeties haven't played up to potential and the corners have been hurt.
[Reply]
ChiefsFanatic 10:52 PM 11-26-2020
No.

If you read the article, this is exactly what happened last year. The Chiefs are leading the league in pressures. The sacks will come, just like they did last year.

Does it need to be corrected? Yes.

Should it create WORRY? Absolutely not.
Perhaps it only improved last year because they worried about it.

So, I say yes, they should worry about it. Important distinction though, worrying is not panicking. There is no need to panic, yet.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 11:35 PM 11-26-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
A real issue is that the blitz never seems to get home.
That's the reason for my curiosity though.

How much of that pressure is generated by big overload blitzes that get burned? How much pressure is being generated by the down 4?

I mean we can dismiss the stuff about carr and blow the raiders OL, but our defense got cooked by teddy bridgewater. We are being nickle and dimed to death and cant get off the field on 3rd down lately.

The defense started out good, but has been trending in the wrong direction.
[Reply]
dlphg9 12:27 AM 11-27-2020
Originally Posted by -King-:
I need him to cite that pressure stat. There's no way the chiefs are leading the league in pressures.
Yeah there is no way we lead the league in pressures because a quick look at PFR has Pittsburgh with 4 guys at 20 or more pressures and they have the number 1 guy Watt who has 40 by himself. That's 10 more than 2nd place Chris Jones. Chiefs have 1 guy with 30 Jones and one with 18 (Clark). The guy in third on the team in pressures is Taco and he's at 7.
[Reply]
BossChief 12:34 AM 11-27-2020
Sacks are nice for tv, but pressuring the passer consistently has always shown to be the best way to severely limit opposing offenses ability to put up a lot of points. LV is building a legit team that currently has an elite OL, superb weapons in the passing game and a good running back. We should get used to these type of close games being the norm.
[Reply]
dlphg9 12:40 AM 11-27-2020
First of all, it would be possible to have a discussion inside of game thread if people didn't flood it with "they suck" non-stop. Do we really need to hear it 100's of times an hour?

Second, look at this thread. There's PLENTY of discussion and even criticism, even from me.

And then you have the usual suspects with nothing useful to offer except bitching.

If you call that being a homer, so be it. As long as the stupid, mindless bitching continues, I'll be here to counter it with analysis and facts.
Yeah, in no way are you a homer. The bitching around here is ridiculous to the point that if you aren't bitching about every single aspect of the team then you are a homer. I'm right there with you on countering the idiotic factless bitching with facts.

It's infuriating to see people acting like Chris Jones stopped caring when he got paid when he will likely finish the season with the most pressures he's had in a single season. I will defend him every time I see a stupid opinion because the people that have those opinions are just miserable fucks that will never be pleased.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 01:52 AM 11-27-2020
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Yeah, in no way are you a homer. The bitching around here is ridiculous to the point that if you aren't bitching about every single aspect of the team then you are a homer. I'm right there with you on countering the idiotic factless bitching with facts.

It's infuriating to see people acting like Chris Jones stopped caring when he got paid when he will likely finish the season with the most pressures he's had in a single season. I will defend him every time I see a stupid opinion because the people that have those opinions are just miserable ****s that will never be pleased.
It's ignorant/lazy fan syndrome. When you don't know any better, you turn to lazy football-isms that are difficult for others to argue. "Poor effort" or "play-calling" etc.

(I'm not suggesting that effort or play-calling issues don't exist. I'm arguing that they are lazily overused by football fan).
[Reply]
OrtonsPiercedTaint 05:09 AM 11-27-2020
With the Raiders and Panthers & reigning Super Bowl Champs. Fans write checks with their overflowing mouths. Then have trouble taking the humble tumble of not dominating
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 05:15 AM 11-27-2020
Originally Posted by crispystl:
I also find that stat extremely hard to believe. What’s their definition of “pressure”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with this. Most of the time we get pressure or sacks when it is quickly at least, it's due to blitzes. Other times it's mostly coverage sacks/pressure.

Originally Posted by dlphg9:

It's infuriating to see people acting like Chris Jones stopped caring when he got paid when he will likely finish the season with the most pressures he's had in a single season. I will defend him every time I see a stupid opinion because the people that have those opinions are just miserable ****s that will never be pleased.
This is that whole 'all or nothing,' bullshit. Here's a thought - It's okay to criticize the D after they play like shit it doesn't mean someone likes to complain.

Chris Jones is getting most of his pressures due to good coverage not because he is dominating the oline. Guys being paid a shitload of money there is no way teams should constantly have as much time to throw when Chris Jones and Frank 'I'm only good in the playoffs' Clark are making the amount of money they are.

Sorry if that upsets you but it is facts. We are lucky we have Mahomes/Reid to cover for Veach's signings on D because frankly they haven't been very good.
[Reply]
COchief 10:33 AM 11-27-2020
I'll take this point by point for you.

:-)

You have no idea what you're talking about. Completely clueless.
Strong opener, laughing and wholly incorrect assumption about accumulated knowledge, fear not, I will address.

Of course it's perfectly okay to discuss areas of weakness.
Not by you as of late, you have become the embodiment of the KC Knowmo, you have transcended homer, congratulations.

Check out a game day thread sometime - there's ZERO actual discussion. It's non-stop menstruating about how bad they "suck".
This might be amazing to you, but my response was completely based off your recent behavior in the very game threads you referred to me as "clueless" about. See, I happened to post once or twice during our last two frustrating games in the game thread after Andy pulled a classic Bad Andy drive killer with a cutesy or slow developing run play that not only burns a down but usually loses yards and I would imagine morale. If you have followed this team since Andy took over, you would know this is something he does quite often and in recent years he has had the luxury of 15 bailing him out on 3rd and 13s and what not. He had many instances of this in the playoffs and even a drive or two in the SB, yet all was forgiven as it should be with a SB win. However, the Bad Andy remains whether you want to pull the Knowmo wool over your eyes or not. It doesn't mean Andy or the team sucks, just that a certain part of it sucks sometimes.

I've never called ANYBODY a traitor. I've never used the word "real fan".
I never insinuated that you did, I simply stated my opinion that simple discussion of an area of weakness does not make them either, as your recent general stance would suggest. You seem real confused on the usage of quotes, fear not, I am here to help.

I have used the words "whiner" and "pussy" quite a bit. Mostly because they fit.
Ok finally I can help you on the quotes. When stating something you are producing a quote, I am about to educate you about quotes, see how I didn't quote it? That is because I am saying it, you quote other people that are stating things. Got it?

I'll cut through a mountain of BS with you, your recent posting habits heavily suggest a recent drastic swing of mood and maybe mental health in general, you haven't always been a nutter, but lately it's hard to argue against.

My actual train of thought when I saw the thread title was "wow, that guy has been vaginaing all over the place lately, title seems critical, that doesn't fit" and low and behold, it was merely a ruse for you to flush out those whiners and pussies and Knowmo them up.

Take it for what it's worth, but your crusade lately is borderline absurd behavior. The last two games were frustrating and people are going to bitch. What do you want as an alternative, all positive all the time? Not an expectation based in reality. Hope you have a good year and find something positive to channel your energy into, I can definitely tell you this ain't it homie.
[Reply]
Wallcrawler 10:36 AM 11-27-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:

Sorry if that upsets you but it is facts. We are lucky we have Mahomes/Reid to cover for Veach's signings on D because frankly they haven't been very good.
Okay, this take is exactly what kind of overreaction horseshit was being discussed. This, frankly, is a HORRIBLE take.

Veach has not made good defensive signings? Im sorry, but did this team not just win a championship? That defense had some bigtime series in the late part of that superbowl.

Breeland is a solid corner. Pick in the superbowl. Frank Clark closed out the season on a tear, and ended every postseason contest with a sack. Honeybadger brought the fire.

Pennell, a mid season pickup helped tremendously against the run.

Re signed Chris Jones. Would you have rather Jones was allowed to walk?

They're not killing qbs at the rate some of us would like. Until defensive malfunctions pose a threat to winning the division and reaching the playoffs, theres no huge issue. This is a 9-1 team that if not for some BS calls, and a couple bonehead plays, is 10-0.

Veach has made great moves on defense. We won a title with them ffs. pump the brakes on "thank god for Mahomes" This isn't the Sutton 2018 defense he dragged kicking and screaming to a late lead in the AFC title game.

Were a top 10 scoring defense. 6th if i recall. That's easily good enough to repeat with 15 under center.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 11:13 AM 11-27-2020
They should but they won't.
[Reply]
Halfcan 12:22 PM 11-27-2020
Originally Posted by BossChief:
Sacks are nice for tv, but pressuring the passer consistently has always shown to be the best way to severely limit opposing offenses ability to put up a lot of points. LV is building a legit team that currently has an elite OL, superb weapons in the passing game and a good running back. We should get used to these type of close games being the norm.
A QB can still make plays including throwing TD's with "pressure"- they can't after being thrown on their asses for a sack.

Pressures are just another made-up stat like "almost interceptions" to make it look like defenses are doing something- when actually they are Missing out on making a big play.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Up