ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3199 of 3903
« First < 2199269930993149318931953196319731983199 32003201320232033209324932993699 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
MahomesMagic 02:40 PM 11-27-2020
I just decided to ask Google and the first document that came up was from the State of Michigan Health Department.

Concern: I have read that “natural immunity” (getting the disease) is safer and works
better than getting vaccinated.
General Responses:
It is true that natural infection almost always causes better immunity than vaccines.
Because after a single natural infection, you often get immunity (like with
measles or chickenpox) whereas you generally need 2 or more doses of a vaccine
to be protected.

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/m...y_479884_7.pdf

I feel like I went back to science class for Covid these last few months. Took AP Biology and Physics in high school but did nothing but liberal arts in college.
[Reply]
Kidd Lex 02:44 PM 11-27-2020
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
I just decided to ask Google and the first document that came up was from the State of Michigan Health Department.

Concern: I have read that “natural immunity” (getting the disease) is safer and works
better than getting vaccinated.
General Responses:
It is true that natural infection almost always causes better immunity than vaccines.
Because after a single natural infection, you often get immunity (like with
measles or chickenpox) whereas you generally need 2 or more doses of a vaccine
to be protected.

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/m...y_479884_7.pdf

I feel like I went back to science class for Covid these last few months. Took AP Biology and Physics in high school but did nothing but liberal arts in college.
That’s from 2015
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 02:46 PM 11-27-2020
Originally Posted by Kidd Lex:
Lots and lots of great and exciting science to read about in this thread and all over the internet. Real clinical trials and studies showing that vaccines work and immunity is at a minimum (with some exceptions) 6-12 months and almost certainly long lasting given what they’ve found regarding the bodies immune response both short and long term. Only time will tell us how long, but my best guess is many years to decades.

Without trying too hard here’s one: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...ner/index.html

Here’s a more important recent one: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1...11.15.383323v1
The first article on CNN seemed more like a hopeful aspiration. Well, if we could know all the ins and outs of how natural immunity was conferred for such and such we should be able to...

Sounds more like a Big Pharma Ted Talk.

The second one I skimmed but did not see the point made so you will have to spell that one out.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 02:49 PM 11-27-2020
That’s from 2015
Good. I trust almost all papers more BC, Before Covid.
[Reply]
Kidd Lex 02:49 PM 11-27-2020
The first article on CNN seemed more like a hopeful aspiration. Well, if we could know all the ins and outs of how natural immunity was conferred for such and such we should be able to...

Sounds more like a Big Pharma Ted Talk.

The second one I skimmed but did not see the point made so you will have to spell that one out.
Appreciate you caring to look. The second one is just the abstract, you have to click on the actual rest of it to get the whole paper but essentially they found that the T and B cell response (critical for long term immunity) was robust and strong. Very very good news and quite frankly to be expected because that’s how most viruses work in relation to our immune system.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 02:54 PM 11-27-2020
Appreciate you caring to look. The second one is just the abstract, you have to click on the actual rest of it to get the whole paper but essentially they found that the T and B cell response (critical for long term immunity) was robust and strong. Very very good news and quite frankly to be expected because that’s how most viruses work in relation to our immune system.
Ok, but how does this make the vaccine better than what our bodies already do?

We know that natural immunity to SARS lasts 17 years. I don't see too many vaccine trials claiming they will get anything close to that for sars2
[Reply]
Kidd Lex 02:57 PM 11-27-2020
Good. I trust almost all papers more BC, Before Covid.
I don’t follow. That’s not how the scientific method works. I would agree that opinion pieces and editorials are all over the place (with everything ie Covid chocolate, fats, coffee, etc...) but the RCT’s being completed and Covid studies are by far our greatest way out of this mess. The science that has been underway for decades that allowed this new dawn of mRNA vaccines to become available is game changing for humanity.
[Reply]
Kidd Lex 02:59 PM 11-27-2020
Ok, but how does this make the vaccine better than what our bodies already do?

We know that natural immunity to SARS lasts 17 years. I don't see too many vaccine trials claiming they will get anything close to that for sars2
I literally linked an article and a study explaining how that works:

“Vaccines have other advantages over natural infections. For one, they can be designed to focus the immune system against specific antigens that elicit better responses.

For instance, the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine elicits a stronger immune response than infection by the virus itself. One reason for this is that the vaccine contains high concentrations of a viral coat protein, more than what would occur in a natural infection. This triggers strongly neutralizing antibodies, making the vaccine very effective at preventing infection.

The natural immunity against HPV is especially weak, as the virus uses various tactics to evade the host immune system. Many viruses, including HPV, have proteins that block the immune response or simply lie low to avoid detection. Indeed, a vaccine that provides accessible antigens in the absence of these other proteins may allow us to control the response in a way that a natural infection does not.”
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 03:05 PM 11-27-2020
I don’t follow. That’s not how the scientific method works. I would agree that opinion pieces and editorials are all over the place (with everything ie Covid chocolate, fats, coffee, etc...) but the RCT’s being completed and Covid studies are by far our greatest way out of this mess. The science that has been underway for decades that allowed this new dawn of mRNA vaccines to become available is game changing for humanity.
I'll be glad to get my life back to where it was. I have no interest in the new Health Technocrats promising me they can save me.

Walk into a supermarket and look at the crap on the shelves. If people actually cared about health they would look much different.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 03:10 PM 11-27-2020
I literally linked an article and a study explaining how that works:

“Vaccines have other advantages over natural infections. For one, they can be designed to focus the immune system against specific antigens that elicit better responses.

For instance, the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine elicits a stronger immune response than infection by the virus itself. One reason for this is that the vaccine contains high concentrations of a viral coat protein, more than what would occur in a natural infection. This triggers strongly neutralizing antibodies, making the vaccine very effective at preventing infection.

The natural immunity against HPV is especially weak, as the virus uses various tactics to evade the host immune system. Many viruses, including HPV, have proteins that block the immune response or simply lie low to avoid detection. Indeed, a vaccine that provides accessible antigens in the absence of these other proteins may allow us to control the response in a way that a natural infection does not.”
That's the Pharma sales pitch. My understanding is that it normally doesn't come out that way. I have no idea about HPV and if this "improved immune response" is real or something like putting vitamins in white bread for fortification. SarsCov2 is the one we are dealing with here. All I heard from Fauci was a promise that it couldn't be harmful.
[Reply]
TLO 07:26 PM 11-27-2020
United Airlines Holdings Inc., reportedly began operating charter flights on Friday to better position Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine for distribution once the inoculation is approved by the Food and Drug Administration.

United will fly the chartered planes between Brussels International Airport and Chicago O’Hare International Airport as part of the “first mass air shipment of a vaccine,” supported by the FAA, The Wall Street Journal reported.

The news of securing the charter flights comes as Pfizer has started to lay the foundation to move the vaccine quickly once the FDA and other regulators approve it.

According to the Journal, Pfizer has expanded storage capacity at specific distribution sites in Pleasant Prairie, Wisc., and Karlsruhe, Germany. The drug company plans to use suitcase-size frozen storage in cargo planes and trucks to distribute the vaccine around the world.

Pfizer and United Airlines did not immediately respond to Fox News' request for comment.

United Airlines will be allowed to carry five times the amount of dry ice normally permitted on board to keep the vaccine at the necessary cold temperature.

Other cargo and passenger airlines have also begun preparing for future vaccine shipments, the Journal reported.

Previously, Andrew Peterson, assistant professor of philosophy at George Mason University had brought up the complex issue of transporting and distributing the vaccine due to the fact it must be stored at temperatures of minus 70 degrees Celsius or below.

“The logistics of distributing the Pfizer vaccine, if proven to be safe and effective, will no doubt be a Herculean task,” Peterson told Fox News. “Beyond the challenge of physically transporting the vaccine by air and land to distribution centers across America and internationally, there are the additional obstacles of keeping the vaccine at sub-zero temperatures and monitoring deliveries for theft.”

Last week, Pfizer and partner BioNTech requested an emergency approval for their coronavirus vaccine candidate in a bid to get it out to the global population as soon as possible.

The vaccine has been called more than 90 percent effective in percent effective at stopping people from getting sick during phase 3 trials.
[Reply]
Otter 11:28 PM 11-27-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
The vaccine has been called more than 90 percent effective in percent effective at stopping people from getting sick during phase 3 trials.
How do they test this metric? Expose people to the virus?
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 11:51 PM 11-27-2020
Originally Posted by Otter:
You have two groups: a placebo group and a vaccine group. The groups should be comparable in distribution (similar distribution of age, race, sex). Over a period of several weeks, you establish the number of infections in both groups. If the sample sizes are sufficient, and once you reach a certain number of infections, you can establish the risk of infection after receiving the vaccine. That risk reduction is the efficacy of the vaccine.
[Reply]
Kidd Lex 11:52 PM 11-27-2020
Originally Posted by Otter:
You have a double blind RCT and allow time to do its thing. If they had done a challenge trial we’d all be getting vaccinated by now but ethics and all that.... this would be a fun one to examine in a philosophy class some day.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:53 AM 11-28-2020
From science.com

The scientific method

When conducting research, scientists use the scientific method to collect measurable, empirical evidence in an experiment related to a hypothesis (often in the form of an if/then statement), the results aiming to support or contradict a theory.

"As a field biologist, my favorite part of the scientific method is being in the field collecting the data," Jaime Tanner, a professor of biology at Marlboro College, told Live Science. "But what really makes that fun is knowing that you are trying to answer an interesting question. So the first step in identifying questions and generating possible answers (hypotheses) is also very important and is a creative process. Then once you collect the data you analyze it to see if your hypothesis is supported or not."

The steps of the scientific method go something like this:
  1. Make an observation or observations.
  2. Ask questions about the observations and gather information.
  3. Form a hypothesis — a tentative description of what's been observed, and make predictions based on that hypothesis.
  4. Test the hypothesis and predictions in an experiment that can be reproduced.
  5. Analyze the data and draw conclusions; accept or reject the hypothesis or modify the hypothesis if necessary.
  6. Reproduce the experiment until there are no discrepancies between observations and theory. "Replication of methods and results is my favorite step in the scientific method," Moshe Pritsker, a former post-doctoral researcher at Harvard Medical School and CEO of JoVE, told Live Science. "The reproducibility of published experiments is the foundation of science. No reproducibility – no science."
Some key underpinnings to the scientific method:

[Reply]
Page 3199 of 3903
« First < 2199269930993149318931953196319731983199 32003201320232033209324932993699 > Last »
Up