ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: Should the Dallas and Detroit tradition be abandoned
Get rid of this stinker 85 70.83%
It’s a wonderful tradition we should keep 29 24.17%
I don’t know why the Gaz tradition lives on 6 5.00%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll
Page 6 of 6
« First < 23456
Nzoner's Game Room>Should the traditional Thanksgiving games be abandoned?
Bob Dole 08:39 AM 11-26-2020
I think it’s past time to let this Cowboys/Lions Thanksgiving monopoly go to the NFL Films archive.

What day ye?

Poll on the way.
[Reply]
big nasty kcnut 11:29 AM 11-27-2020
Lions and cowboys should play each other and the two other game should be flex games with the best teams.
[Reply]
Shields68 11:39 AM 11-27-2020
Originally Posted by Hoover:
never going to change

NFL makes bank off these games because there is nothing else on. Doesn't need to be a good game to make it work
I think that is the main take away. They do not need a big game to make money. People tune in just based on tradition.

But I do not see the NFL taking the game away from the Lions and Cowboys. The compromise was to schedule a third game. The Lions and Cowboys ran with this tradition when other teams wanted it off and the uncertainty of the fans not coming out for a game on a family holiday. Jerry would have a stroke and not pull any punches if the league thought about taking this game away.

On the flip side, I think a team is better off having the fewer amount of Thursday games as possible.
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:22 PM 11-27-2020
I'd prefer a strict rotation of teams, but you can't let the NFL and networks decide without some sort of rules in place. We'd just get stupid games with stupid Tom Brady every year playing against the media darlings of Pittsburgh, Dallas, or Green Bay.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 08:33 PM 12-01-2020

Thursday's Thanksgiving matchup on @NFLONFOX delivers the top telecast of any kind since Super Bowl LIV on FOX. �� pic.twitter.com/wP0jJEACXT

— FOX Sports PR (@FOXSportsPR) December 1, 2020

[Reply]
Bugeater 08:49 PM 12-01-2020
Welp...scratch that idea...
[Reply]
Megatron96 08:59 PM 12-01-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Physically he has everything you want. Coaching aside, he's not very mentally tough or astute.
There was a time when I would've been in almost full agreement with your assessment. But I've had a change of mind recently. Actually, it was after watching DETAILS with Peyton Manning and his analysis of Stafford last year (maybe the year before). Matt is actually a pretty smart QB. Though I doubt any of his OCs gave him a ton of help with that. Except one. Maybe it was Norv Turner? Can't remember now. But otherwise he's been largely on his own.

And he's physically tough. He played with some serious injuries early in his career and never complained.

He's another one of those QBs that was cursed by his high draft selection by going to a dumpster fire of a team. Put another way, if we'd gotten him instead of Alex, we might have an extra Ring right now.
[Reply]
KCChiefsFan88 09:25 PM 12-01-2020
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
These #’s would be doubled if better teams were involved.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:29 PM 12-01-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
But you're missing the point: The NFL doesn't need to schedule better games because even bad teams bring in record ratings.

Detroit sucks and Detroit will always suck but it doesn't matter on Thanksgiving because people will watch any NFL game on Thanksgiving, so there's absolutely no reason to burn a marquee matchup at 9:30am (or 12:30 where you live).

Just throw any old shitty team out there and watch the ratings soar.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:14 PM 12-01-2020
And there you have it. Nothing is ever going to change.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 11:18 PM 12-01-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
But you're missing the point: The NFL doesn't need to schedule better games because even bad teams bring in record ratings.

Detroit sucks and Detroit will always suck but it doesn't matter on Thanksgiving because people will watch any NFL game on Thanksgiving, so there's absolutely no reason to burn a marquee matchup at 9:30am (or 12:30 where you live).

Just throw any old shitty team out there and watch the ratings soar.
And you use that Detroit game to advertise the shit out of the marquee game on Sunday.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:31 PM 12-01-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
You're saying 60 million people would have watched two better teams?

Seriously?
[Reply]
KChiefs1 05:39 AM 12-02-2020

Dallas Cowboys are the #1 draw in sports.
[Reply]
Sackattack 06:34 AM 12-02-2020
I can do without seeing the Cowboys & Lions play every Thanksgiving. It would be nice to see other teams play on this special holiday of football. First the NFL should send out a memo to all teams notifying them that as of 2021, your team may be selected to play a divisional rivalry game on Thanksgiving.
[Reply]
Sackattack 06:37 AM 12-02-2020
I would like to see the Chiefs and Raiders meet up on Thanksgiving next year.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 6
« First < 23456
Up