Page 450 of 934
« First < 350400440446447448449450 451452453454460500550 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
lewdog 03:00 PM 01-20-2021
Originally Posted by wutamess:
Good to know. Put a trailing stop loss at 5% on it.
No problem buying NAIL but trade that thing on swings, like today! Stop losses can get hit easily since it moves a lot but definitely recommend using them to lock in profits or avoid large downside risk if it gaps down.

Hope that helps!
[Reply]
scho63 04:19 PM 01-20-2021
Originally Posted by lewdog:
No problem buying NAIL but trade that thing on swings, like today! Stop losses can get hit easily since it moves a lot but definitely recommend using them to lock in profits or avoid large downside risk if it gaps down.

Hope that helps!
Have you evaluated what your profits would have been if you just bought and hold versus trading out?

Sounds like you picked great stocks but hot put too early.
[Reply]
lewdog 04:37 PM 01-20-2021
Originally Posted by scho63:
Have you evaluated what your profits would have been if you just bought and hold versus trading out?

Sounds like you picked great stocks but hot put too early.
This is just for my trading account, FYI. I treat my retirement accounts very differently.

Learning what part of the market we are in and at what stage the stock is in are key. Locking in profits are never a bad thing (and this market is extended), and there's always another stock to be found that meets Stage 2 criteria for finding a breakout and making more money. No can can consistently sell at the top or buy at the bottom. It's simply an unrealistic goal. Holding too long keeps your capital locked up in sideways markets (doing nothing) or worst case scenario, sees you losing capital in a falling stock and then averaging down. The goal is the find a quick profit (days to months), turn it, and then find another stock that meets your criteria.

The key to growing account value in a trading account is reducing capital loss at all costs. Since I adopted a key plan and have been following these strategies since December 1st, I am up 12% while the S&P is about 5%. I followed similar plans before but not at 100% and my biggest failures were allowing myself to hold a falling stock, convincing myself it would turn around. Getting a 25-50% loss on a stock just shouldn't be an option.

I think most people buying individual stocks needs to have an appreciation for risk management. It only takes one terrible play to erase the gains you've made in numerous other stocks. You could use NAIL as that example as that leveraged fund could quickly move against you.

By all means I am just providing information about how I trade, but everyone can make their own educated opinion.
[Reply]
scho63 06:28 PM 01-20-2021
I don't remember Lewdog, do you buy and sell options?
[Reply]
wutamess 07:40 PM 01-20-2021
In a sense, lewdog is right.

My problem with some of it is. If I'd had just let shit sit just over the last 6 months to a year of my purchases, I'd be up about $100k for the YTD.

Using his method I've gained probably 10&15% in gains but nothing like what I could've made if I would've just held.

A profit is a profit though so there's 2 ways to go about this. A stop loss on NAIL isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I don't have stops on TSLA, NIO, Plug or AAPL and they're the drivers behind an almost $20k gains just within the last 2 weeks.

Glad someone mentioned NIO here last month.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:02 PM 01-20-2021
ABML might be the next play
[Reply]
lewdog 09:08 PM 01-20-2021

My problem with some of it is. If I'd had just let shit sit just over the last 6 months to a year of my purchases, I'd be up about $100k for the YTD.

Using his method I've gained probably 10&15% in gains but nothing like what I could've made if I would've just held.

A profit is a profit though so there's 2 ways to go about this. A stop loss on NAIL isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I don't have stops on TSLA, NIO, Plug or AAPL and they're the drivers behind an almost $20k gains just within the last 2 weeks.

Oh there's more than one way to do this. I am just sharing my way, which is neither wrong nor right. I am just trying to educate that capital risk management should be at the top of people buying individual stocks. All it takes is a large position to draw down 25-50% and you've wiped out gains in most of your other stocks. Also, markets aren't always this easy to be "winning" and I think many people are going to be wishing they had a defined strategy for maintaining their capital when the market corrects.

I also have positions, like AAPL, that I consider long positions. I do not have stop losses on this or if I do, it's very far from where it's currently trading.

I personally like taking profits after a nice gain (10-20%) on 50% of my position. If I time the stock correctly, this happens in a few days to months. I will many times then let the remaining position run by placing a stop loss at purchase price. This way if the stock retraces, I still have pocketed whatever gains I made on 50% of the position, no matter what. By placing the stop loss at purchase price, I also have a smaller chance of getting stopped out quickly on a stock that may continue to run.

Good discussion and please share others' ideas for buying/selling.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:18 PM 01-20-2021

Markets like the ones we’ve experienced the last 2 years aren’t normal.

Long term holds on companies with bad financials are a fantastic way to book capital losses.
[Reply]
wutamess 09:00 AM 01-22-2021
My NAIL stop loss triggered today. I sold all instead of the half. feels good to pocket that 20% gain. Will buy back in if ti creeps down more.
[Reply]
lewdog 11:48 AM 01-22-2021
My NAIL stop loss triggered today. I sold all instead of the half. feels good to pocket that 20% gain. Will buy back in if ti creeps down more.
Nice move!

Last time it hit these levels was October and it didn't stay there long before falling. We will see how it consolidates this recent move up and hopefully it can bounce around and show support in the low 50's (recent breakout resistance was there). If price action tightens in the next few weeks and shows this, I may consider buying back in the low to mid 50's.
[Reply]
scho63 01:10 PM 01-22-2021
Market's looking a little tired and top heavy.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:12 PM 01-22-2021
Originally Posted by scho63:
Market's looking a little tired and top heavy.
all my stonks are up

if you had purchased ABML two days ago you'd have made a shit ton of money

my investment advice is GOLD
[Reply]
bsp4444 01:54 PM 01-22-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
all my stonks are up

if you had purchased ABML two days ago you'd have made a shit ton of money

my investment advice is GOLD
GEVO is up 800% in 3 months.
[Reply]
lewdog 02:26 PM 01-22-2021
I like PRPL this year as an individual stock.
[Reply]
scho63 02:36 PM 01-22-2021
Originally Posted by bsp4444:
GEVO is up 800% in 3 months.
This is a perfect example of why the market is ready to roll over......:-)
[Reply]
Page 450 of 934
« First < 350400440446447448449450 451452453454460500550 > Last »
Up