ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 193 of 382
« First < 93143183189190191192193 194195196197203243293 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>50 Beers to Try Before You Die
NewChief 06:18 AM 04-24-2010
Thought the beer snobs here might like this article (and probably critique the hell out of it).

http://www.wisdeo.com/articles/view_post/2984
(CBS) You've heard of "100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall"?

How about 50 to try before you die?!
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Reaper16 04:34 PM 06-18-2015
Originally Posted by NewChief:
Finally got the Boulevard Spring Belle down here.

Mainly because I'm a Reaper fanboy, I've become a saison drinker. I mean, I'm not an expert, but if I'm looking to pick up a new beer while at the store, I generally reach for a farmhouse/saison over others. As such, I was excited for this beer. Boulevard? Saison? Yay!

Anyway, I like it quite a bit. It's certainly not Tank 7 or Saison Dupont, but it's tasty. There might be a little TOO much going on with it, in that it gets kind of confusing, presenting a few too many flavors. I have some weird prejudice against beers that overtly advertise adjuncts in them (which I acknowledge is a stupid prejudice), so I kind of expected to not enjoy this beer as much as I did. So yeah. I would drink again.
I love this post. :-)
[Reply]
BWillie 04:46 PM 06-18-2015
I don't really understand why you people, or anybody likes dark beer. I think it's just something men drink so they can feel virile and manly. Not that lighter colored beer tastes amazing, but at least it's tolerable. Dark beer is just disgusting
[Reply]
Reaper16 04:50 PM 06-18-2015
Originally Posted by BWillie:
I don't really understand why you people, or anybody likes dark beer. I think it's just something men drink so they can feel virile and manly. Not that lighter colored beer tastes amazing, but at least it's tolerable. Dark beer is just disgusting
I really like roasted flavors, coffee, dark chocolate, dark fruits. I can see why people wouldn't. I enjoy them however.
[Reply]
BWillie 05:15 PM 06-18-2015
Originally Posted by Reaper16:
I really like roasted flavors, coffee, dark chocolate, dark fruits. I can see why people wouldn't. I enjoy them however.
Ah, maybe there is a correlation there, between coffee lovers and beer lovers. Never could drink coffee, either.
[Reply]
lewdog 05:16 PM 06-18-2015
Originally Posted by BWillie:
If you find a good dark beer, it's actually smoother than many light beers and especially IPAs. Many Brown Ale's are very smooth and Stouts can be very smooth and offer a great variety of choices as far as tasting flavors goes. I'm not a beer lover but I prefer dark over light most of the time.
[Reply]
TimBone 05:52 PM 06-18-2015

Mainly because I'm a Reaper fanboy, I've become a saison drinker. I mean, I'm not an expert, but if I'm looking to pick up a new beer while at the store, I generally reach for a farmhouse/saison over others. As such, I was excited for this beer. Boulevard? Saison? Yay!

Anyway, I like it quite a bit. It's certainly not Tank 7 or Saison Dupont, but it's tasty. There might be a little TOO much going on with it, in that it gets kind of confusing, presenting a few too many flavors. I have some weird prejudice against beers that overtly advertise adjuncts in them (which I acknowledge is a stupid prejudice), so I kind of expected to not enjoy this beer as much as I did. So yeah. I would drink again.
Yeah, Reaper has had me on Saisons for a year now. I'm like his biggest fan.

I'll be looking for that in Houston next week.
[Reply]
Marcellus 06:26 PM 06-18-2015

Don't they have Prairie Artisan's stuff in Fayetteville? I know their goods are pricey but they are fantastic.

Birra and Prairie Standard would be my dailies if I could get them easily.
[Reply]
NewChief 06:33 PM 06-18-2015
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Don't they have Prairie Artisan's stuff in Fayetteville? I know their goods are pricey but they are fantastic.

Birra and Prairie Standard would be my dailies if I could get them easily.
Yes. Prairie is everywhere here. Pricey as you said though Standard isn't badly priced. I drink it pretty often.
[Reply]
TimBone 07:20 PM 06-18-2015

So, with all the talk about Hill Farmstead around here, I found this in Lafayette this afternoon, and bought it knowing nothing about it. It's a saison collab between Hill Farmstead and The Braugies brewery in Belgium. La Vermontoise is the name. Anybody know anything about it?

Also, how do collabos work? I've seen quite a few of them in the past. Do both breweries brew their own with assistance from the other brewery? Or do they brew together and split batches? I saw a collabo between three breweries last year, and they all three put out their own releases.
[Reply]
TimBone 07:28 PM 06-18-2015
I also got two bottles of Stones Enjoy After. Gonna try one now and let one sit for a year or so to let the Brett do it's magic.
[Reply]
KCUnited 07:48 PM 06-18-2015
Spent way too much on a couple absinthe barrel aged beers from Spiteful, a porter and saison. Not sure when I'll drink them. I've had a barrel aged porter from them before which I thought was ok, but the absinthe barrel aging is entirely new to me.
[Reply]
Bearcat 08:43 PM 06-18-2015
Originally Posted by lewdog:
If you find a good dark beer, it's actually smoother than many light beers and especially IPAs. Many Brown Ale's are very smooth and Stouts can be very smooth and offer a great variety of choices as far as tasting flavors goes. I'm not a beer lover but I prefer dark over light most of the time.
Yeah, there are stouts that you basically chew, and I think those can be more of an acquired taste... but, there are very smooth, full bodied stouts and porters, too, whether it's chocolate and/or coffee and/or bourbon, etc.

The two times I go light during the year are May/June, when I buy some IPA after a long winter/spring of stouts, and then BBQ in October. And it seems like there are more stouts on the shelves later each year.
[Reply]
TimBone 08:55 PM 06-18-2015
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Yeah, there are stouts that you basically chew, and I think those can be more of an acquired taste... but, there are very smooth, full bodied stouts and porters, too, whether it's chocolate and/or coffee and/or bourbon, etc.

The two times I go light during the year are May/June, when I buy some IPA after a long winter/spring of stouts, and then BBQ in October. And it seems like there are more stouts on the shelves later each year.
Wouldn't BBQ even be considered dark though? I know it's a quad, and not a stout, but I've always considered them heavy beers. Maybe because of the usual high ABV.

I'm still learning though. Only been doing the craft thing for a little over a year.
[Reply]
TimBone 08:56 PM 06-18-2015
And when non-craft guys mention dark beer, I usually assume they mean anything that isn't a mainstream american light beer.
[Reply]
TimBone 12:53 AM 06-19-2015
Originally Posted by TimBone:

So, with all the talk about Hill Farmstead around here, I found this in Lafayette this afternoon, and bought it knowing nothing about it. It's a saison collab between Hill Farmstead and The Braugies brewery in Belgium. La Vermontoise is the name. Anybody know anything about it?

Also, how do collabos work? I've seen quite a few of them in the past. Do both breweries brew their own with assistance from the other brewery? Or do they brew together and split batches? I saw a collabo between three breweries last year, and they all three put out their own releases.
So, this one turned out to be very good. Had that good skunky smell that a lot of farmhouse ales from belgium have when you pop the bottle. The taste was great. Lots of lemon and funk. Good pepper, too. I was worried it would be sour, but was not at all. Very impressed.
[Reply]
Page 193 of 382
« First < 93143183189190191192193 194195196197203243293 > Last »
Up