ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2958 of 3903
« First < 1958245828582908294829542955295629572958 29592960296129622968300830583458 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Donger 11:32 AM 09-11-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Pardon my ignorance, but aren't these numbers quite a bit lower than previous numbers we've seen?

Or do you have to multiply the numbers listed above by 100 or something? I think you do.
I've never seen the CDC break them out this way before, so I don't know.

To get the actual percentage IFR, yes, x 100
[Reply]
mlyonsd 09:10 AM 09-12-2020
Oxford, AstraZeneca to resume coronavirus vaccine trial

18,000 people have received vaccine

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/...-vaccine-trial
[Reply]
TLO 09:18 AM 09-12-2020
Originally Posted by mlyonsd:

Good news.
[Reply]
Kidd Lex 10:46 AM 09-12-2020
Originally Posted by mlyonsd:

I appreciate you sharing new pertinent info in this Donger diseased thread.
[Reply]
Donger 11:36 AM 09-12-2020
Originally Posted by Kidd Lex:
I appreciate you sharing new pertinent info in this Donger diseased thread.
Not a big fan of facts, eh?
[Reply]
suzzer99 11:46 AM 09-12-2020
Lol yeah the thread that doesn't have dozens of posters insisting that a person with diabetes who got covid and died - actually died of diabetes - is the diseased thread. o_O
[Reply]
suzzer99 11:51 AM 09-12-2020
Pardon my ignorance, but aren't these numbers quite a bit lower than previous numbers we've seen?

Or do you have to multiply the numbers listed above by 100 or something? I think you do.
I suspect a lot of that has to do with securing nursing homes, and a lot to do with other at-risk people being very cautious.

Also there is very strong evidence that initial viral dose affects eventual severity of infection. Masks help with initial viral load, as does warmer weather.

I'm concerned about cold weather + back to school + back to office. At least we'll have a small amount of herd immunity.
[Reply]
Donger 12:32 PM 09-12-2020
Dakotas lead US in virus growth as both reject mask rules

https://apnews.com/f4988865f4fad739e099b17707f8727f

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) — Coronavirus infections in the Dakotas are growing faster than anywhere else in the nation, fueling impassioned debates over masks and personal freedom after months in which the two states avoided the worst of the pandemic.

The argument over masks raged this week in Brookings, South Dakota, as the city council considered requiring face coverings in businesses. The city was forced to move its meeting to a local arena to accommodate intense interest, with many citizens speaking against it, before the mask requirement ultimately passed.

Amid the brute force of the pandemic, health experts warn that the infections must be contained before care systems are overwhelmed. North Dakota and South Dakota lead the country in new cases per capita over the last two weeks, ranking first and second respectively, according to Johns Hopkins University researchers.

South Dakota has also posted some of the country’s highest positivity rates for COVID-19 tests in the last week — over 17 percent — an indication that there are more infections than tests are catching.

Infections have been spurred by schools and universities reopening and mass gatherings like the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, which drew hundreds of thousands of people from across the country.

“It is not a surprise that South Dakota has one of the highest (COVID-19) reproduction rates in the country,” Brookings City Council member Nick Wendell said as he commented on the many people who forgo masks in public.

The Republican governors of both states have eschewed mask requirements, tapping into a spirit of independence hewn from enduring the winters and storms of the Great Plains.

The Dakotas were not always a hot spot. For months, the states appeared to avoid the worst of the pandemic, watching from afar as it raged through large cities. But spiking infection rates have fanned out across the nation, from the East Coast to the Sun Belt and now into the Midwest, where states like Iowa and Kansas are also dealing with surges.

When the case count stayed low during the spring and early summer, people grew weary of constantly taking precautions, said Dr. Benjamin Aaker, president of the South Dakota State Medical Association.

“People have a tendency to become complacent,” he said. “Then they start to relax the things that they were doing properly, and that’s when the increase in cases starts to go up.”
[Reply]
TLO 12:57 PM 09-12-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
I suspect a lot of that has to do with securing nursing homes, and a lot to do with other at-risk people being very cautious.

Also there is very strong evidence that initial viral dose affects eventual severity of infection. Masks help with initial viral load, as does warmer weather.

I'm concerned about cold weather + back to school + back to office. At least we'll have a small amount of herd immunity.
Dr. Z, who I've linked on here with a few different YouTube videos has theorized this for quite some time now. (Particularly the part about masks helping with the initial viral load). It's the biggest reason a couple months back I bought some n95's and started wearing a surgical mask over the n95 at work.
[Reply]
TLO 12:59 PM 09-12-2020
Missouri's 7 day positivity rate continues to drop.

Number of cases reported each day is in the same ballpark.

Hospitalizations are holding mostly steady.
[Reply]
suzzer99 01:05 PM 09-12-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Dakotas lead US in virus growth as both reject mask rules

https://apnews.com/f4988865f4fad739e099b17707f8727f

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) — Coronavirus infections in the Dakotas are growing faster than anywhere else in the nation, fueling impassioned debates over masks and personal freedom after months in which the two states avoided the worst of the pandemic.

The argument over masks raged this week in Brookings, South Dakota, as the city council considered requiring face coverings in businesses. The city was forced to move its meeting to a local arena to accommodate intense interest, with many citizens speaking against it, before the mask requirement ultimately passed.

Amid the brute force of the pandemic, health experts warn that the infections must be contained before care systems are overwhelmed. North Dakota and South Dakota lead the country in new cases per capita over the last two weeks, ranking first and second respectively, according to Johns Hopkins University researchers.

South Dakota has also posted some of the country’s highest positivity rates for COVID-19 tests in the last week — over 17 percent — an indication that there are more infections than tests are catching.

Infections have been spurred by schools and universities reopening and mass gatherings like the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, which drew hundreds of thousands of people from across the country.

“It is not a surprise that South Dakota has one of the highest (COVID-19) reproduction rates in the country,” Brookings City Council member Nick Wendell said as he commented on the many people who forgo masks in public.

The Republican governors of both states have eschewed mask requirements, tapping into a spirit of independence hewn from enduring the winters and storms of the Great Plains.

The Dakotas were not always a hot spot. For months, the states appeared to avoid the worst of the pandemic, watching from afar as it raged through large cities. But spiking infection rates have fanned out across the nation, from the East Coast to the Sun Belt and now into the Midwest, where states like Iowa and Kansas are also dealing with surges.

When the case count stayed low during the spring and early summer, people grew weary of constantly taking precautions, said Dr. Benjamin Aaker, president of the South Dakota State Medical Association.

“People have a tendency to become complacent,” he said. “Then they start to relax the things that they were doing properly, and that’s when the increase in cases starts to go up.”
A friend of mine just told me her great aunt died of covid (sorry died of hypertension or whatever comorbidity she had).

My friend thought it was weird because her aunt, "lives in this podunk town in South Dakota where you wouldn't think covid would be an issue."
[Reply]
lewdog 01:08 PM 09-12-2020
Dr. Z, who I've linked on here with a few different YouTube videos has theorized this for quite some time now. (Particularly the part about masks helping with the initial viral load). It's the biggest reason a couple months back I bought some n95's and started wearing a surgical mask over the n95 at work.
Absolutely seems true. Less viral load present on exposure could equal milder case.

We do the same at work now too. N95 with surgical + face shield for direct patient contact.
[Reply]
suzzer99 01:14 PM 09-12-2020

Feel like I’ve been saying it for the better part of a year: “Reopening” in the form of economic revival is not just a button the big cheeses can push when they want to. People have to be persuaded that it’s something worth participating in. Here’s some evidence. https://t.co/RQzoq5DR5c

— southpaw (@nycsouthpaw) September 12, 2020

[Reply]
lewdog 01:16 PM 09-12-2020
Missouri's 7 day positivity rate continues to drop.

Number of cases reported each day is in the same ballpark.

Hospitalizations are holding mostly steady.
If it continues for a few weeks then you’ll see hospitalizations dropping.

Good news there.
[Reply]
petegz28 02:02 PM 09-12-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
If it continues for a few weeks then you’ll see hospitalizations dropping.

Good news there.
Daily new hospitalizations in the KC area are at their lowest rate since the end of June.

35% of total beds are available and only 5% are being used for Covid

# of average daily tests is down over 60% from July where it peaked

# of daily new cases is down almost 50% from the peak in July
[Reply]
Page 2958 of 3903
« First < 1958245828582908294829542955295629572958 29592960296129622968300830583458 > Last »
Up