ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 21
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Has our defense been HARSHLY judged?
UChieffyBugger 04:35 PM 09-21-2018
It seems to be in fashion to knock the Chiefs defense. WE as fans slaughter them daily, the local press slaughter then daily, the NATIONAL and INTERNATIONAL media slaughter them daily, and when I sit and think about the circumstances sounding that group, one could argue that they are getting judged a little harshly.

Now let's start with the preseason. Ragland and Hitchens played ONE warm-up together against the Bears and both missed several practice sessions. Nelson got knocked out of the Atlanta game and missed sessions himself, whilst Parker wasn't even In our building during the preseason. Then we have Ford who Is just returning to the team after being out for most of last season, and Houston barely played In the warm-up games himself.

Last year there was a perception that we had "the worst defense known to man", but I argued it was an overblown notion because the reality was that we were around fifteenth In the points allowed tally. But that notion has stuck with the team and now this unit that has barely played together Is thrown together and Is trying to both gel as a unit and get their football legs going all whilst facing TWO quality offenses on the road. The Pats defense started off badly too last year and then managed to be a decent unit until the superbowl where they contrived to drop their best corner, so there is a clear example of how things can change quickly In this game.
[Reply]
JoeyChuckles 07:17 PM 09-21-2018
Our defense is bad. The sooner you accept this, the sooner we can all move on. It will be in the bottom third of the league at the end of the year.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:17 PM 09-21-2018
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
Funny how things got a lot better when Sutton stopped with the 3-man rush bullshit. He needs to give that up. Use it sparingly.
No, they actually didn't. They still used it, even late in the game. Bailey's sack came from a 3-man rush.

Funny how things got better when the players started winning their matchups.
[Reply]
HemiEd 07:31 PM 09-21-2018
Originally Posted by RunKC:
This defense has stepped up when it mattered and that’s all I care about.

I don’t give a shit about 23 garbage time points that were scored when the game was over.
Yep. they have gotten critical stops when needed in both games so far.

To be honest though, if the Chargers receivers could catch the ball, the record might not be as good as it is.
[Reply]
staylor26 07:35 PM 09-21-2018
Originally Posted by HemiEd:
Yep. they have gotten critical stops when needed in both games so far.

To be honest though, if the Chargers receivers could catch the ball, the record might not be as good as it is.
It’s been said before but a # of those drops resulted in 7 points anyways.
[Reply]
Frazod 07:43 PM 09-21-2018
As I said in another thread, we were carved up by two elite QBs on the road, who were both put in positions where they had to air it out to keep up with us, and especially in the $tealer$ game, we were getting abused by the ref$ like rubber fuck dolls.

Let's at least see how we fare at home before declaring the defense dead and buried.
[Reply]
mlyonsd 07:47 PM 09-21-2018
Is this a trick question?

Last in total yards allowed and 29th in points allowed.

The defense flat out sucks. I think it has to do with Sutton more than talent.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:51 PM 09-21-2018
Originally Posted by mlyonsd:
Is this a trick question?

Last in total yards allowed and 29th in points allowed.

The defense flat out sucks. I think it has to do with Sutton more than talent.
Because this defense was still terrible a couple of years ago when it had more talent? Oh wait, it was a top 5 scoring defense and top 7 in yards...
[Reply]
Eleazar 07:55 PM 09-21-2018
Yes and justifiably so
[Reply]
Eleazar 07:55 PM 09-21-2018
Originally Posted by Frazod:
As I said in another thread, we were carved up by two elite QBs on the road, who were both put in positions where they had to air it out to keep up with us, and especially in the $tealer$ game, we were getting abused by the ref$ like rubber **** dolls.

Let's at least see how we fare at home before declaring the defense dead and buried.
You generally do see good QBs in the playoffs though
[Reply]
HolyHandgernade 07:56 PM 09-21-2018
Our defense is not good. But, is it so bad it will hold us back from Division Title/Playoffs/Superbowl?

Obviously too early to tell. The offense is hot, but it may cool off. Our defense is giving up a lot, but, they were part of staking the team to big leads, forcing the opposing team to adopt catch-up styles of offense where the Chiefs primary concern became trying to squeeze time out of the play clock against very prolific offenses led by high caliber QBs.

Based on all that, the answers to my question are:

No, I don't see another division foe capable of unseating us, which would obviously lead us to a playoff appearance. The odds of a successful postseason go down for success if the defense is this porous irregardless of the opponent we face the rest of the way out.

I don't believe that will be the case. As most have noted, our schedule is v=incredibly front loaded. Most of the probable playoff teams will be played within the first eight games: Chargers, Steelers, Jaguars, Patriots, Bengals. Hell, you have to throw Denver in there (2x) because they have started 2-0. The back half also has some challenges (Rams, Ravens), but is much more manageable.

Therefore, we're really not going to find out how bad this defense is until late in the season. If we win shootouts at that beginning and then the defense gets better late, thereby actually increasing the margin of victory, I will feel really confident that the defense has enough to give the offense the opportunity to win it.

If we win shootouts all the way through, no matter the level of competition, the confidence goes down dramatically. Worst case, the offense can't continue the pace and the defense continues to give up just as much, then even making the playoffs may come into question, with a playoff victory again unlikely.

All of this is just drawn out way of saying we're not going to really get a good feel of the effectiveness of this defense until late in the season.I think it will be a good indication, however, if the current trend continues, i.e., the team jumps out to a big lead and can ride that to victory. Taking into account the level of competition, it says to me the defense is serviceable enough to find success in the post season.

In no way does that mean I think the defense is "good" or that it doesn't need significant upgrades. But I do believe it may be serviceable enough given the offensive proficiency. If the offense suffers a significant injury or two, however, the current defense will not be able to carry us through until said players could come back, if they were to make it back at all.
[Reply]
Frazod 07:57 PM 09-21-2018
Originally Posted by Eleazar:
You generally do see good QBs in the playoffs though
I understand that.

I also believe that by that time, we'll be the ones with the ref$ in our pockets. If Mahomes keeps doing what's he's been doing, the league will be spread eagle for us all the way.
[Reply]
mlyonsd 08:05 PM 09-21-2018
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Because this defense was still terrible a couple of years ago when it had more talent? Oh wait, it was a top 5 scoring defense and top 7 in yards...
I understand our talent depth has dropped off. But that doesn't give sutton a pass for sucking at his job. And Andy for keeping him.

And back to the original question our defense has not been judged harshly enough.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:12 PM 09-21-2018
Originally Posted by mlyonsd:
I understand our talent depth has dropped off. But that doesn't give sutton a pass for sucking at his job. And Andy for keeping him.

And back to the original question our defense has not been judged harshly enough.
How can we say he sucks at his job objectively? Take emotion out of it and look at the results.

5 years, top 10 in points allowed 4 of those 5 years. Top 5 in points allowed in 3 of 5 years - top THREE 2 of those.

There's absolutely no evidence to show that Sutton is bad at his job. In fact, he's the most consistently successful defensive coordinator in CHIEFS NFL HISTORY.

The last time the defense was that good for that long, the Chiefs were in the AFL and the defense was stocked with hall of famers at every level.

You can only parrot "playoff collapse" so many times without ever mentioning Andy Reid or Alex Smith or the fact that in both of those collapses, one or two more 1st downs by the offense would have won the game. You also cannot throw out the fact that he took a team that was QB'ed by Mark freaking Sanchez to two AFC Championship games.

This defense needs talent. End of story. Changing coordinators is a fool's errand. A scapegoat. A pablum for the masses.
[Reply]
mlyonsd 08:35 PM 09-21-2018
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
How can we say he sucks at his job objectively? Take emotion out of it and look at the results.

5 years, top 10 in points allowed 4 of those 5 years. Top 5 in points allowed in 3 of 5 years - top THREE 2 of those.

There's absolutely no evidence to show that Sutton is bad at his job. In fact, he's the most consistently successful defensive coordinator in CHIEFS NFL HISTORY.

The last time the defense was that good for that long, the Chiefs were in the AFL and the defense was stocked with hall of famers at every level.

You can only parrot "playoff collapse" so many times without ever mentioning Andy Reid or Alex Smith or the fact that in both of those collapses, one or two more 1st downs by the offense would have won the game. You also cannot throw out the fact that he took a team that was QB'ed by Mark freaking Sanchez to two AFC Championship games.

This defense needs talent. End of story. Changing coordinators is a fool's errand. A scapegoat. A pablum for the masses.
I don't argue this defense needs talent. Sutton got screwed losing Peters.

I will argue a good coach would not be last in multiple statistics when there are 32 teams in the league.

I do hope I'm wrong. Please let me be wrong.
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 08:39 PM 09-21-2018
Originally Posted by InChiefsHell:
Plenty of reasons for failure, but no excuse. This is the NFL. You can't be giving up like 1000 yards and like 78 points in 2 games and be considered "good" or even OK. This defense is BAD right now. We can hope that they will "gel" and get their heads out of their asses soon, but reality is that we'll have to score 30+ to win consistently with this defense. That ain't good.

Granted, they went up against 2 very high powered offenses, but shiiiit...they have to do better. I hope I'm wrong. I just don't see much sunshine here...
I agree. I think the most we can hope for as I have stated in another thread is that when Berry and Soro get back we can at least generate enough stops in a game to make sure we outscore our opponent.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 21
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Up