ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 17 of 21
« First < 71314151617 18192021 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Has our defense been HARSHLY judged?
UChieffyBugger 04:35 PM 09-21-2018
It seems to be in fashion to knock the Chiefs defense. WE as fans slaughter them daily, the local press slaughter then daily, the NATIONAL and INTERNATIONAL media slaughter them daily, and when I sit and think about the circumstances sounding that group, one could argue that they are getting judged a little harshly.

Now let's start with the preseason. Ragland and Hitchens played ONE warm-up together against the Bears and both missed several practice sessions. Nelson got knocked out of the Atlanta game and missed sessions himself, whilst Parker wasn't even In our building during the preseason. Then we have Ford who Is just returning to the team after being out for most of last season, and Houston barely played In the warm-up games himself.

Last year there was a perception that we had "the worst defense known to man", but I argued it was an overblown notion because the reality was that we were around fifteenth In the points allowed tally. But that notion has stuck with the team and now this unit that has barely played together Is thrown together and Is trying to both gel as a unit and get their football legs going all whilst facing TWO quality offenses on the road. The Pats defense started off badly too last year and then managed to be a decent unit until the superbowl where they contrived to drop their best corner, so there is a clear example of how things can change quickly In this game.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:47 PM 09-24-2018
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Then fire him and let's find out. Because whatever he is doing is going to hurt us in a game that matters. The reason I think Reid has influence on this is because the offense turtles up too, and I can't imagine it's because the offense magically loses its productivity at the same point in every single game. I don't think it's because mahomes magically forgets how to produce at the same point every single game.
I tend to agree. Both sides of the ball have a big lead "shell". Sutton's is just more pronounced because the level of talent on the offensive side of of the ball is light years ahead of the defense.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 03:57 PM 09-24-2018
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I tend to agree. Both sides of the ball have a big lead "shell". Sutton's is just more pronounced because the level of talent on the offensive side of of the ball is light years ahead of the defense.
Yup. Kareem hunt is a very good rb. But I don't think he'll barrell over determined playoff defenses in the playoffs at will in the 4q. Sometimes it works like against pitt and sf... Or you get a San Diego performance where you go 3 and out the entire 4th, just as we did against Indy and Tennessee despite dominant first half performances. But why even take that chance if the original gameplan was unstoppable in the first half? In a key game, I would hope that we put the second half in mahomes' hands with the full creativity of Reid, not in the hands of hunt running a more predictable offense.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:59 PM 09-24-2018
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
It worked today, but again this is exactly the mentality that failed us with Indy and Tennessee.
You can say this as often as you'd like and you're still absolutely wrong.

The LACK of this mentality is what failed us in Indy. We play exactly how we played today against Indy, we win that game by 10.

And we had the ball THREE TIMES against Tennessee in the 2nd half, the third after they already took the lead. TN just ran the ball down our throats man. We knew all year the run defense was a problem and TN exposed it - what the hell does 'the mentality' have to do with that? We 6 of 7 games at one point in that season and you're acting like we had some ironclad defense that Andy neutered. We KNEW that wasn't the case and so did everyone else. TN just decided they were going to control the clock and we couldn't get them off the damn field.

You just keep making these declaratory statements that you don't support. No, a passive mentality isn't why we lost in Indy. A passive mentality wins that game. And no, a passive mentality isn't why we lost in Indy - we lost because Butker missed a FG, Charles dropped a pass between his numbers and we couldn't stop the run to save our lives.

That's not a passivity problem.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 04:23 PM 09-24-2018
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
You can say this as often as you'd like and you're still absolutely wrong.

The LACK of this mentality is what failed us in Indy. We play exactly how we played today against Indy, we win that game by 10.

And we had the ball THREE TIMES against Tennessee in the 2nd half, the third after they already took the lead. TN just ran the ball down our throats man. We knew all year the run defense was a problem and TN exposed it - what the hell does 'the mentality' have to do with that? We 6 of 7 games at one point in that season and you're acting like we had some ironclad defense that Andy neutered. We KNEW that wasn't the case and so did everyone else. TN just decided they were going to control the clock and we couldn't get them off the damn field.

You just keep making these declaratory statements that you don't support. No, a passive mentality isn't why we lost in Indy. A passive mentality wins that game. And no, a passive mentality isn't why we lost in Indy - we lost because Butker missed a FG, Charles dropped a pass between his numbers and we couldn't stop the run to save our lives.

That's not a passivity problem.
Then what do you suspect is the issue that our offense seems to be utterly inefficient at the same exact time in every single game? Like clockwork, we went up two scores against Pitt and SD, then had a completely underwhelming 2Q followed by a dominant 3Q once the other team caught up. Against SF, we had a dominant 1st half then were completely shut down on offense. Against Indy, it was screens and horrendously predictable run plays in the second half. Against Tennessee, it was completely not using Hunt which may be considered passive, but it goes against everything that was previously working. We were quick to blame it on Alex. But we're seeing the same pattern now continue with Mahomes.

There are only so many times the pattern repeats itself that excuses no longer work. Injuries, passivity, lack of execution... there is always SOMETHING that makes the Chiefs utterly inept on TWO sides of the ball and it always happens at the same exact time. It is a consistent pattern. 2 out of 3 times we may squeak by with a win, but in crucial games it's that 1 out of 3 that'll kill you.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 04:33 PM 09-24-2018
We have not been behind one time in our first three games. We have not had the ball first in any of those 3 games. The defense has stopped all three teams on their first offensive possession. The defense has played fairly well in the first quarter or even first half. The 3rd quarter and really the entire 2cd half of games they have struggled.
We are not playing complimentary football. It is awesome to be able to score so fast and especially as much as we have been. Scoring so fast though has put the defense on the field for a lot of time especially in the 2cd half of games. Right now our average time of possession is 23:24. Leaving the defense on the field for that amount of time gasses the players on D.
[Reply]
Iconic 12:05 PM 09-25-2018

Just like last week, Nelson doesn't pass off the vertical route to the safety in C3. Garcon runs a dig just behind the underneath zone defenders, who expect over the top help. Garoppolo missed the throw.

Repeatable and exploitable. What are the hook defenders supposed to do? pic.twitter.com/Hec05y6uhc

— Craig Stout (@barleyhop) September 25, 2018

Same as last week.

So either Bob is retarded because he can't teach his defenders to pass off zones after 20 years of NFL experience or Nelson has autism.
[Reply]
Iconic 12:17 PM 09-25-2018

Eric Murray has allowed 8 rec. of 11 targets (73% catch rate) for 125 yards and 1 touchdown. Last year he allowed 25 of 41 (61%). He also has 3 missed tackles in 3 games after missing 3 tackles ALL of last season. He played in 100% of snaps on Sunday. #Chiefs

— Matt Conner (@MattConnerAA) September 24, 2018

[Reply]
htismaqe 12:24 PM 09-25-2018
Originally Posted by Iconic:
Same as last week.

So either Bob is retarded because he can't teach his defenders to pass off zones after 20 years of NFL experience or Nelson has autism.
Obvious answer is obvious. :-)
[Reply]
RunKC 01:18 PM 09-26-2018
We only rushed 3 guys ONE TIME last weekend. And the design was perfect.

[Reply]
Red Dawg 07:49 AM 09-28-2018
Is there any chance Andy would can Sutton during the season? He must be getting tired of defense getting ran over when the offense is killing it.
[Reply]
Coogs 07:56 AM 09-28-2018
Originally Posted by Red Dawg:
Is there any chance Andy would can Sutton during the season? He must be getting tired of defense getting ran over when the offense is killing it.
Just a theory of mine, but I wonder if the offense is killing it at the expense of the defense. During training camp, Reid stated several times they were having the defense throw ervrything but the kitchen sink at Mahomes so Mahomes could learn. Maybe they are just starting to settle in on running our own stuff since camp got over. The first halves of games have been decent. Games have been over at that point.
[Reply]
Red Dawg 08:02 AM 09-28-2018
If Case Keenum kicks the defense ass then Sutton should be handed his walking papers. He's not very good. We faced 3 that are so I can understand being short handed and having some struggles. Keenum is average at best. We should stop him plenty and win the game.
[Reply]
Coogs 08:13 AM 09-28-2018
If Case Keenum kicks the defense ass then Sutton should be handed his walking papers. He's not very good. We faced 3 that are so I can understand being short handed and having some struggles. Keenum is average at best. We should stop him plenty and win the game.
Even if we are up big at half (mid third quarter) like the first 3 games?
[Reply]
TEX 08:15 AM 09-28-2018
The defense is terrible. Its exactly the type of defense that can make JAG QB like Keesum look good. IMO, Sutton should have been given his walking papers long ago. He's still here and the defense is what it is.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 08:33 AM 09-28-2018
That M Peters trade is going to start looking pretty ugly if the Rams win the Superbowl, and we only use draft picks to snag meaningless nobodies like we did this last year. I haven't even heard our rookies names since the draft this year, just read the list again and don't even remember our 3rd round picks, Nandi & O'daniel, who?
[Reply]
Page 17 of 21
« First < 71314151617 18192021 >
Up