ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 17
1 234511 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Planning to drive from LA to Patagonia next year (looking for copilots)
suzzer99 02:44 AM 05-13-2017
Link to blog!!! - http://ushuaiaorbust.com/blog/

I better post this before I get banned for welching on my bet and posting in DC. If I'm banned and anyone wants to go for any part of the trip - PM flopnuts or BRC - they know me on twoplustwo.com and can contact me. More eyes and ears are always welcome. I've got one guy who wants to go - but he'd have to quit his job, so obviously nothing is guaranteed.

I just got back from a photo trip in Patagonia, where we drove a lot. I LOVE the region and South America in general. Never been to Central America but I've had some great trips in Mexico.

I have two jobs and I'm sick of both. I don't think the side job will last much longer, and the day job is about done for me. I probably need to stick it out until the end of year to get my bonus and pay off some 401(k) loans. But unless I get plugged into some interesting projects - I'm gone. I figure there has to be some advantage to dying alone with no kids. This would be the adventure of my life. I'd try to live-blog it as much as possible.

Our photo tour guide from the Patagonia trip is planning a 20-day partial boat tour next May that he's calling "an expedition". We'll get into some fjords in Southern Chile that hardly any one's ever been to - much less landscape photographers. So that's my parameter - be in Patagonia by mid-May.

I've done some cursory research, and it seems pretty doable.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/35876322/n...nyc-argentina/

http://www.worldlyrambles.com/summar...o-or-not-to-do

You have to ship your car across the Darien Gap - which is a PITA.

Very rough plan is to drive to Cabo, then take the ferry from La Paz to Mazatlan. Then head South. I'd probably zip across El Salvador and Honduras as fast as possible, enjoy myself in Costa Rica and maybe Nicaragua. I've been to Peru, Columbia, Chile and Argentina and know they're pretty safe. I feel like I'd want to avoid driving in Brazil, Venezuela (govt might seize my car) or the Guyanas. Paraguay, Uruguay, Bolivia should be fine. I know not to drive at night in sketchy places and find secure parking for my car.

I plan to mostly camp and stay in hostels. I can sleep in my car in a pinch. Maybe splurge on a hotel when I want some extra security for my car. On the way back I may either sell my car or ship to LA or Florida from Colombia.

Prerequisites:
  1. Must learn reasonable conversational Spanish. I know a lot of words but no sentences, etc. I am using this online thing called duolingo. Looking for an an immersion program in LA. There are some Spanish classes by me but they don't start right away.
  2. Lose at least 30 lbs. At 257 - I'm 40-50 lbs over-weight right now. It's just no fun in a lot of ways. I won't enjoy myself unless I get below 230. Plus I hope to get laid a decent amount with my fun story and mad Spanish skillz.
  3. Maximize my social media footprint so hopefully the blog picks up some traction and has a lot of viewers. IE - finish photo website (pretending to sell photos), get active in 500px (2p2 for photographers), start blogging, get active on forum for people doing these driving adventures (forget the name), FJ Cruiser forums, Instagram.
  4. Figure out what modifications if any I want to do to my car. A flat roof rack with a pop-up tent seems really cool. But as I'm going to be jobless maybe I should think about limiting spending. Or maybe some kind of hidden compartment to hide camera gear/computers/etc?
  5. Research, get permits, visas etc. ahead of time.

Big question is whether or not to take my FJ Cruiser or buy an Outback or something for $5k:

Pros:
  1. Great car, nice and high so I can see things developing.
  2. Built like a tank to protect me in a crash.
  3. Can get into fun places like camping on the beach.
  4. I pan to blog the whole thing - so me and my FJ is a fun angle. Me and my Camry lacks the same zing.

Cons:
  1. Everyone says try not to draw attention to yourself. Big ginger beard with CA plates in that car does the exact opposite. (I'm hoping people will think I'm ex-military or something lol)
  2. I am stupidly emotionally attached to my car, and have put some customizations into it. It's got 100k miles so it could easily last me another 10 years. I really would have a hard time selling it at the end, even though supposedly you can get good money in Brazil. Also I know there's a very real probability it doesn't come back from being totaled, or stolen. I have to be ok with that.
  3. 15 miles to the gallon/15 gallon tank (yeah wtf) - but I figure I can carry extra tanks.

Any thoughts or advice is mucho appreciated.

I am fine with the idea that I could have everything stolen and have to limp back with my tail between my legs. You don't have an adventure w/o risking something. If I get killed I had a good life. My biggest fears are getting kidnapped or paralyzed in a car wreck. Both seem fairly low probability.
[Reply]
suzzer99 02:49 AM 05-13-2017
Lots of people who have done this keep blogs of the trip. This guy is my favorite so far. Some Korean dude decided to drive an old Mercedes Turbo Diesel on the Pan-American highway. I like his attitude and this section made me fall in love with Guatemala: http://drivetosouthamerica.com/photo-journal/guatemala/

I have been to Colombia and the girls there are just flat out insane. Imagine a girl like this working as a shipping clerk in the US.
[Reply]
PunkinDrublic 07:04 AM 05-13-2017
That's really awesome. What's the name of your blog? Hope you're able to post some updates on here.
[Reply]
Rain Man 07:21 AM 05-13-2017
Who controls the radio?
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 07:37 AM 05-13-2017
Soo... traveling through Columbia eh..... Von miller might want a ride.
[Reply]
notorious 07:39 AM 05-13-2017
Yep, she's hotter than bacon grease.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 08:05 AM 05-13-2017
Wear a rubber dude
[Reply]
patteeu 08:14 AM 05-13-2017
Sounds exciting. I hope your blog takes off and that you don't die.

I wouldn't worry about getting banned. I don't think people get banned for welching on bets in DC.
[Reply]
suzzer99 12:35 PM 05-13-2017
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic:
That's really awesome. What's the name of your blog? Hope you're able to post some updates on here.
UshuaiaOrBust.com (I haven't done anything with it yet - on the list).
[Reply]
suzzer99 12:36 PM 05-13-2017
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Who controls the radio?
Who ever has an ipod and doesn't have terrible taste in music.
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 12:45 PM 05-13-2017
Watch your cornhole.
[Reply]
Hoopsdoc 12:49 PM 05-13-2017
Department store mannequin filled with anti freeze.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 01:58 PM 05-13-2017
It sounds exciting. Good luck with the prep work. You just got back? It was a guided tour of some sort? How'd you book it?
[Reply]
Rain Man 02:00 PM 05-13-2017
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Who ever has an ipod and doesn't have terrible taste in music.
I think I fit that bill. You like Air Supply, right?
[Reply]
Eureka 02:57 PM 05-13-2017
Sell that FJ. The blue books on those vehicles are through the roof. It'll let you have some money for when/if you make it back. Sounds like a fun adventure.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 17
1 234511 > Last »
Up