Pitcher

Edit:
Matheny fired 07/14/2018

Opening Day Roster
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 10:55 PM 12-20-2018
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
So its probably 5. Because Cusumano is a disphit.

Miller will be getting the Cecil/Holland treatment while struggling to break 93 by June. This team is fucking stupid.
But he was a postseason hero in 2016!

Season tickets still available!
[Reply]
BigRedChief 11:00 PM 12-20-2018
Mother fucker

With Cardinals reportedly close w/ Andrew Miller, here's what their LH RP did last year:

5.16 ERA
5.38 FIP
17.2 K%
12.6 BB%
1.3 HR/9
.389 opp. OBP
.491 opp. SLG

All last in MLB, or very close.

— Andrew Simon (@AndrewSimonMLB) December 21, 2018

[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 11:03 PM 12-20-2018
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Mother fucker

That’s not what Miller did, that’s how the Cardinals staff performed last year.

Granted, Miller wasn’t all that much better than that...
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:04 PM 12-20-2018
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Mother fucker

With a very expensive Brett Cecil as part of that crew.

Andrew Miller is just going to be another version of him. Andrew Miller is the kind of guy you build, not buy. But hey - POWDER BLUES!!!

Yeah, I'm gonna have a fantasy baseball season. Gonna watch way more other teams than the Cardinals this year. Im done with this braindead leadership.
[Reply]
Miles 11:11 PM 12-20-2018
Another reliever coming off a bad season to presumably decent sized money. Nice work keeping the streak alive on those for 3rd concecutive year.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 11:52 PM 12-20-2018
Originally Posted by Miles:
Another reliever coming off a bad season to presumably decent sized money. Nice work keeping the streak alive on those for 3rd concecutive year.
34 year old relievers are a hot commodity in baseball?:-)
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:14 AM 12-21-2018
I know you guys are down on it, but I think there’s a very good chance the Cardinals just bought a few years of elite relief pitching at a decent discount.

Miller was his usual self until hitting the DL in May and was never right afterwards, as he tried to gut through being less than healthy and struggled.

Compared to the pricetag in prospects on a guy like Will Smith, just spending some dollars on Miller seems like a better calculated risk to me. He didn’t get a franchise tag, as far as I know, so it’s just a matter of money.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 10:20 AM 12-21-2018
I wanted Miller or Britton. But then, there’s also no point for us paying for anybody at all.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:22 AM 12-21-2018
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
I know you guys are down on it, but I think there’s a very good chance the Cardinals just bought a few years of elite relief pitching at a decent discount.

Miller was his usual self until hitting the DL in May and was never right afterwards, as he tried to gut through being less than healthy and struggled.

Compared to the pricetag in prospects on a guy like Will Smith, just spending some dollars on Miller seems like a better calculated risk to me. He didn’t get a franchise tag, as far as I know, so it’s just a matter of money.
But how many times have we heard that story and the bottom line is that the guy simply never rebounds.

It's especially true with older pitchers and the track record of shoulder injuries in this league is simply AWFUL.

Fortunately his knee issues were with his landing leg and not his drive leg, but there's still a chance that they resurface and if so they'll absolutely create problems. Tendinitis is a bitch and I see no reason to believe it will just be gone and done with at any point for the rest of his career.

I mean the only thing that could make his injury history worse is if you threw a back injury on top of it. Knee and shoulder issues for a pitcher are just the worst for me. You take away a pitcher's lower half and then have an issue with the orneriest joint in God's creation...ugh, that's just a terrible combination.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:24 AM 12-21-2018
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
I wanted Miller or Britton. But then, there’s also no point for us paying for anybody at all.
I expect he'll be available to anyone willing to take on his entire contract by August.

I'd have FAR preferred to make a move for Mike Minor. It's not even a close question.
[Reply]
Brent Williams 11:21 AM 12-21-2018
2/$25 mill with a vesting option for a third is what I’m finding. Option is for $12 mil and kicks in at 110 appearances. Full no trade clause
[Reply]
BigRedChief 11:24 AM 12-21-2018
Originally Posted by Brent Williams:
2/$25 mill with a vesting option for a third is what I’m finding. Option is for $12 mil and kicks in at 110 appearances. Full no trade clause

Andrew Miller’s deal with #STLCards, per source: Two years, $25M, plus vesting option, full no-trade clause. Option worth $12M, vests at 110 games combined in 2019-20. Incentives: $500K per year based on appearances. Breakdown: $11M in 2019, $11.5M in ‘20, $2.5M buyout on option.

— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) December 21, 2018

[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:25 AM 12-21-2018
I expect he'll be available to anyone willing to take on his entire contract by August.

I'd have FAR preferred to make a move for Mike Minor. It's not even a close question.

Why on Minor? He’s owed a few million less bucks a year, but has never been as good as Miller at his best and has an even more troubling injury history, including ongoing shoulder issues.

And he would come with a prospect cost (though considering what Texas just accepted in return for Profar, maybe not that bad).

I get/see your reservations but think there’s a lot more upside here than you’re seeing at the moment.

And I get that. Mozeliak’s FA signing record has been poor the past few years. We give Moore a hard time for the Kennedy contract (yes, even me now), and Mozeliak has 3 that bad in the past 2 FA cycles in Fowler, Holland, and Cecil.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 12:27 PM 12-21-2018

I’d like that too. Of course we will win 64 or 66 so there’s really no pt
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 12:32 PM 12-21-2018
It would be nice if someone would update the OP with all of our moves this offseason.
[Reply]
Page 298 of 301
« First < 198248288294295296297298 299300301 >
Up