ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3207 of 3903
« First < 2207270731073157319732033204320532063207 32083209321032113217325733073707 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
dirk digler 11:51 AM 11-30-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
I wish they'd live stream the CDC meeting on vaccination prioritization.

All I know is I'm glad I'm not the one in charge of making those decisions.
I read today the feds are leaving it up to the states. I am sure that will change in late January.
[Reply]
TLO 11:55 AM 11-30-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
I read today the feds are leaving it up to the states. I am sure that will change in late January.
I believe all the states have it broken down into groups at this point. (1a, 1b) etc. So I'm not sure what this meeting tomorrow is all about
[Reply]
KCUnited 11:58 AM 11-30-2020
Already posturing here. Communities "hit the hardest" and such. It's sure to be a circus of opportunity for leaders.
[Reply]
O.city 12:05 PM 11-30-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
There are some interesting theories on this, initially you think protect healthcare workers and first responders which makes sense.

Then its the older higher risk people, but there is another argument to be made you vaccinate the people who are out and about working and potentially spreading without knowing it before you do the people confined. Knock down the public load a fast as possible may be quicker to HI than vaccinating the older population.
This thing is so rough on the elderly, I think you gotta start there.
[Reply]
KS Smitty 12:06 PM 11-30-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
I wish they'd live stream the CDC meeting on vaccination prioritization.

All I know is I'm glad I'm not the one in charge of making those decisions.
I'm pretty sure it will be on one of the CSPAN channels.
[Reply]
petegz28 12:10 PM 11-30-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
This thing is so rough on the elderly, I think you gotta start there.
I'd make it mandatory across all care facilities that receive state funding and their workers but the worker part might be hard.

Then the health care workers and teachers that want it.

Then people who have documented co-morbidities starting with the oldest to the youngest.

No one under the age of 30 unless they have a high-risk underlying.
[Reply]
petegz28 12:12 PM 11-30-2020
Once you get to the general population I say you start with 70+ and work your way down. I cannot see for the life of me why anyone under the age of 20 needs this vaccine unless they are at risk.
[Reply]
petegz28 12:15 PM 11-30-2020
Originally Posted by KS Smitty:
I'm pretty sure it will be on one of the CSPAN channels.
I hate to say this but the media is going to turn this into a political issue in a hurry.
[Reply]
louie aguiar 12:21 PM 11-30-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
I'd make it mandatory across all care facilities that receive state funding and their workers but the worker part might be hard.

Then the health care workers and teachers that want it.

Then people who have documented co-morbidities starting with the oldest to the youngest.

No one under the age of 30 unless they have a high-risk underlying.
I would prioritize essential workers such as those working in grocery stores, pharmacies, etc before teachers. Teacher's unions are incredibly strong, though, so that will likely help push them up the list. I just hope the distribution isn't a politicized shit-show.
[Reply]
dirk digler 12:23 PM 11-30-2020
I hope I am wrong but this sounds like another cluster fuck

Originally Posted by :
The federal government is shunting to the states hard decisions about which Americans will get the limited early supplies of coronavirus vaccines — setting up a confusing patchwork of distribution plans that could create unequal access to the life-saving shots.

Federal and state officials agree that the nation’s 21 million health care workers should be first in line. But there is no consensus about how to balance the needs of other high-risk groups, including the 53 million adults aged 65 or older, 87 million essential workers and more than 100 million people with medical conditions that increase their vulnerability to the virus.

The federal government has told states that they have ultimate authority for determining who gets vaccinated first. It has also decided to allocate scarce early doses based on states’ total populations, forcing hard choices in states with a greater proportion of residents at high risk — including Black, Indigenous and Latino communities that have suffered disproportionate rates of hospitalization and death from Covid-19.

Public health experts say that could undermine already shaky public confidence in the vaccine effort, whose success depends on convincing large numbers of Americans to get immunized.

“States are going to have to pick and choose who gets the first doses,” said Josh Michaud, an associate director for global health policy at Kaiser Family Foundation who has reviewed nearly every state’s distribution plan. “It’s very obvious that states are in different places when it comes to planning and identifying who those people are.”

Moncef Slaoui, the former GlaxoSmithKline executive who leads Operation Warp Speed, the government’s vaccine accelerator, said there are no easy choices.

"I don’t expect the states to make uniform decisions,” he told POLITICO. “Some may prefer long-term care facilities or the elderly, while others may prioritize their health care workers. It would be wrong to immunize 18-year-olds first. I hope no one does that. But otherwise it’s shades of gray.”

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention normally lays out the guidelines for who should get priority for each vaccine, based on recommendations from a group of experts known as the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices. The panel had not been scheduled to finalize its recommendations until after the first vaccine was authorized by the FDA. But that changed abruptly over the weekend, with the panel now set to meet Tuesday to hammer out advice for the highest priority groups — health care workers and residents of nursing homes and long-term care facilities.

[Reply]
Rain Man 12:25 PM 11-30-2020
I think the way prioritization should work is that you build a model of life expectancy losses by demographics. You build a first-order model to look at life expectancy changes for people who get it, and then you add a second-order effect to account for their impact on others. Whoever has the biggest expected losses gets it first, and then you work down the list.

For example, you look at an 85 year-old in a nursing home. What is the likelihood of that person getting it, and how many years of life do they lose? Who can they spread it to, and how many years would those people lose?

Now you do the same thing for a health care worker. What's their likelihood of getting it, and how many years do they lose? Who can they spread it to?

Just build categories and work down the list. You can keep expanding the categories as you go to get more precision.
[Reply]
suzzer99 12:26 PM 11-30-2020
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-1...es-2020-11-08/

This guy is in charge of distributing the vaccine as fast as the drug companies can manufacture it. He at least gives a very good interview on 60 minutes. His biggest worry is people being afraid to take it.
[Reply]
notorious 12:30 PM 11-30-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Production is tough. If we wanted to have it ready to roll out to everyone now, we needed to mass produce back in July.

Economically that’s tough to make that much and it not workout but for what it is, probably would have been worth it
The ways things are right now we need to build whatever facilities are needed overnight and start pumping the vaccine out like Coca-Cola.

This is the United States FFS. The only limit to what we can do is imagination.
[Reply]
dirk digler 12:34 PM 11-30-2020
Originally Posted by notorious:
The ways things are right now we need to build whatever facilities are needed overnight and start pumping the vaccine out like Coca-Cola.

This is the United States FFS. The only limit to what we can do is imagination.
There is going to be plenty of vaccine available for us here in the USA. We need to get the rest of the world vaccinated as well though.
[Reply]
Kidd Lex 12:34 PM 11-30-2020
Where’s the multitudes of posters coming in to say they were wrong about the vaccine being possible? It’s amazing to look back through those debates in this thread and now that the science is proven they are nowhere to be found. Some amazing stupidity on display, and now I wouldn’t be a bit surprised to see those same dipshits come up with reasons not to get the vaccine....

One very cool thing (very minor compared to ending the pandemic) that I haven’t seen mentioned too much about this vaccines efficacy, the possibility of ending or shortening common colds. Could easily be cross reactive to many of the Coronavirus lines, and one has to wonder if they can use this science to create vaccines for multitudes of more serious viruses that afflict humanity.
[Reply]
Page 3207 of 3903
« First < 2207270731073157319732033204320532063207 32083209321032113217325733073707 > Last »
Up