ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 89 of 202
« First < 39798586878889 9091929399139189 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Eric Berry has a Haglund’s deformity on his heel
DaFace 01:06 PM 09-29-2018
Yes, it's in the other thread. Bite me.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/...ty-on-his-heel

REPORT: Eric Berry has a Haglund’s deformity on his heel
New information on Berry’s sore heel injury emerged on Saturday.

By Pete Sweeney Sep 29, 2018, 1:15pm CDT

Eric Berry has not practiced or played for the Kansas City Chiefs since August 11 in St. Joseph, Missouri, because of what the team has described as a “sore heel.”

The last we heard from the Chiefs athletic training staff was in early September, when head athletic trainer Rick Burkholder described the injury as “literally day to day.”

More information on Berry’s injury emerged Saturday morning, via NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo:

Mike Garafolo: “My understanding, and I’ve spoken to people familiar with his injury situation. He’s got what’s called a Haglund’s deformity in that Achilles. That’s a bone spur that basically digs into the Achilles. Shaun O’ Hara, our colleague at NFL Network, he had it. I spoke to him this week. He said it is extremely painful. He actually used a more colorful word that I won’t use here. It’s just something that continues to irritate the area. Some guys have been able to play with it—you get a shoe here or there, you can adjust … but that’s what’s going on. It’s going to be a pain management thing. It’s not like this thing will tear the Achilles necessarily. A lot of these cases don’t result in a tear, but that’s why with Berry right now, he has not played, and they’ve been doing OK. That’s going to allow them a little bit more patience with Berry, but it is extremely painful.”

This provides a little more clarity than Berry’s injury simply being a “sore heel,” which is good, but what’s bad is there still seems to be no timetable. Remember, Berry missed nearly the entirety of the 2017 season due to a ruptured Achilles on the other leg.

Chiefs head coach Andy Reid was mum on the injury when asked about it Saturday afternoon after the Chiefs’ final practice of the week.

Berry is officially ruled doubtful heading into the Monday night game against the Denver Broncos.

----

Here are the notes from our in-house medical expert, Aaron Borgmann:

A lot of talk today regarding something known as a Haglund’s deformity. It was reported by a media source that the player in question suffers from this condition. This discussion is not to confirm or deny that possibility, as I can only explain the available information that we have been given. To be clear, the team has not confirmed this diagnosis and I have no advance knowledge of the player’s current condition.

The simple explanation here that it is indeed a bone spur on the backside of someone’s heel. This is frequently known as a “pump bump” from the occurrence that it is often seen in women’s fashion from the shoes that they wear. However, incidence in football players is also common, sometimes referred to as “retrocalcaneal bursitis” as well.

The bone spur irritates the bursa (fluid-filled sac) that sits between the bone and the tendon or even the tendon itself directly. This can cause a great deal of inflammation and discomfort with any sort of dynamic ankle/foot movement, worse with pressure on the spot itself.

Having one in and of itself it not uncommon, but the degree to which it bothers someone is the issue. Depending upon demands of movement, these can range from debilitating to just a nuisance. Obviously, in football players, the degree of inflammation is what dictates the level of function.

These are diagnosed both visually and radiographically and it is a situation where if you see it and player complains of certain symptoms (pain with movement in that exact spot, swelling, redness) then you can be pretty sure that is what it is.

Treatment focuses on reduction of inflammation obviously directly over the spot. This can be done both topically and through systemic medication. Soft tissue lengthening in both the calf and bottom of the foot is also done to alleviate the issue from both sides – this is due to the fact that both the calf and plantar fascia connect to the calcaneus (heel bone) on either side.

Not to be forgotten is footwear modification and adjustment. Very rigid shoes can cause this irritation, and in some athletes, I would even cut the shoe in the heel to allow room for the bump. Other options include specialized padding and friction reduction methods. Heel lifts have been shown to be helpful in some.

For this condition, non-surgical intervention is preferred to reduce the inflammation as opposed to surgical due to the immobilization period.

If the inflammation can be reduced and the function level high, many players learned to adapt their daily routines to accommodate. They may have to put in a bit more time in order to get ready due to the condition’s demands but can nonetheless get by and still perform at a high level.
[Reply]
Marcellus 03:59 PM 10-30-2018
Originally Posted by Mecca:
If he has any hope of doing anything he has to be out there for the last month otherwise he'll be rusty and have no chemistry with the team so in short he'll be a liability out there.
He could start 5 days from now in Cleveland and he would be less of a liability than Parker.
[Reply]
KCUnited 04:04 PM 10-30-2018
Originally Posted by Strongside:
I'm just firmly in the "either play him or put him on IR" camp at this point.

I'm sick of the vagueness from this franchise, its front office and the medical staff.

I honestly don't know that I remember a weirder situation with an injury in professional sports. The only one that comes to mind is Houston's knee – which is alarming because it's the same fucking team.
Corey Crawford, starting goalie for the Blackhawks, went out with an "upper body injury" in December last year. That's all the team would say, upper body injury, and he ghosted. No comment, never saw him with the team. Nothing. Then about a month ago he pops up and announced that it was a concussion. The team claimed he was back and would start the season, but he ultimately decided that he still wasn't ready. He's back now though and playing decent, but it was really bizarre. There are fans right now that don't believe it and think he was in rehab for a cocaine addiction, lol.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 04:14 PM 10-30-2018
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
He could start 5 days from now in Cleveland and he would be less of a liability than Parker.
I've produced as much on the field this season as Berry, Parker is exactly more productive than Berry than me.

Until Berry plays, Berry's a bum!
[Reply]
Coach 04:17 PM 10-30-2018
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Corey Crawford, starting goalie for the Blackhawks, went out with an "upper body injury" in December last year. That's all the team would say, upper body injury, and he ghosted. No comment, never saw him with the team. Nothing. Then about a month ago he pops up and announced that it was a concussion. The team claimed he was back and would start the season, but he ultimately decided that he still wasn't ready. He's back now though and playing decent, but it was really bizarre. There are fans right now that don't believe it and think he was in rehab for a cocaine addiction, lol.
Hmm....

Not saying EB is on illegal drugs or anything of the likes, but.... what if his cancer returned? I mean, pretty unlikely, but.... at this point, nobody really knows what the hell is going on, other than the team, medical staff, and EB, and that we're not really getting straight forward answers.
[Reply]
htismaqe 04:18 PM 10-30-2018
Well if that's what it is (I don't believe that to be true) they aren't hiding anything. That's what 75% of the people in this thread are claiming.
You don't think they're hiding anything. You don't think Berry is a pussy.

You don't think the Chiefs think he can play. You don't think Berry is the one holding back.

Honest question:

What DO you think is going on?
[Reply]
arrowheadnation 04:48 PM 10-30-2018
Dear Eric Berry's Haglund's Deformity,

Please go away soon.

Warmest regards,

Chiefs fans the world over
[Reply]
St. Patty's Fire 04:52 PM 10-30-2018
Originally Posted by Strongside:
I'm just firmly in the "either play him or put him on IR" camp at this point.

I'm sick of the vagueness from this franchise, its front office and the medical staff.

I honestly don't know that I remember a weirder situation with an injury in professional sports. The only one that comes to mind is Houston's knee – which is alarming because it's the same fucking team.
Not NFL, but Crosby’s “concussion” in the NHL which ended up being a vertabrae injury was pretty crazy. Went on for like a year and a half. With just as much vagueness and uncertainty.
[Reply]
SAUTO 04:56 PM 10-30-2018
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
That would mean that EB wants to play, and plans on playing.

Either way, no injury settlement. And if he returns, and plays at an all-pro level, which i believe he will, it'll all be water under the bridge.
Actually that just means he wants as much money as he can get.
[Reply]
Marcellus 05:12 PM 10-30-2018
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
You don't think they're hiding anything. You don't think Berry is a pussy.

You don't think the Chiefs think he can play. You don't think Berry is the one holding back.

Honest question:

What DO you think is going on?
I believe Berry is rehabing and they are giving him as long as possible to get as far along as they can before he plays. He won't be 100% at any point this season so they don't want to risk anything too early. :-)

I don't believe there is no risk of further injury, I think they and he are concerned about another achilles rupture. If there was no risk of further injury he would have been playing IMO.

Likely will have offseason surgery.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 05:36 PM 10-30-2018
I believe Berry is rehabing and they are giving him as long as possible to get as far along as they can before he plays. He won't be 100% at any point this season so they don't want to risk anything too early. :-)

I don't believe there is no risk of further injury, I think they and he are concerned about another achilles rupture. If there was no risk of further injury he would have been playing IMO.

Likely will have offseason surgery.
Why didn't they do the surgery before this season then? Are they that incompetent that they couldn't find the deformity before this season?
[Reply]
CoMoChief 05:36 PM 10-30-2018
The last time I can remember Chiefs were this "hush hush" on a player's inj was Mike Catapano, 2014. First IIRC it was a concussion protocol issue that turned into some serious mystery illness where he almost died.

And while it may be because of 2 completely different reasons why the Chiefs are playing this close to their chest, point is usually when teams are "hush hush" like this, it's because the inj is much worse than what they're leading on.

I personally don't think Berry will play at all this season. If his inj is such that it won't get any better unless surgery is performed, and being that he hasn't even stepped foot onto a football field since Aug, I have a hard time believing that one day he's going to wake up within the next few weeks or so and say "Ok I think I'm ready to play now".

This whole thing is odd. I think there's something else to this. Maybe the Chiefs have already decided just to move on from Berry and they'll release the guy post June cuts and eat the $7.5M cap hit. Chiefs agree to keep Berry on active roster so he gets his roster bonuses, other incentives etc.
[Reply]
CoMoChief 05:42 PM 10-30-2018
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
Why didn't they do the surgery before this season then? Are they that incompetent that they couldn't find the deformity before this season?
This is the $78M question everyone wants to know.

It doesn't make any sense. And if he did get some surgery done that we don't know about, why would the Chiefs keep that secret?

Why not get the surgery back in Aug and be back late into the season in time for playoffs with it fixed? Dr's had to have known what the issue was then. We didn't know about the diag until just a month ago.
[Reply]
Marcellus 05:47 PM 10-30-2018
Obviously they didn't think he needed surgery before the season.

Look man everything isn't some ****ing conspiracy or have to be incompetence.

Shit happens. Why people are angry over this is beyond me, yea its frustrating but the hostility is just ****ing dumb.

But then again you are a dispirit so its to be expected.
[Reply]
Marcellus 05:48 PM 10-30-2018
Jesus people if the injury was more serious than they were letting on and he wasn't going to play he would be on IR, its that fucking simple.
[Reply]
RunKC 05:51 PM 10-30-2018
Let’s look at the facts:

-Eric Berry was practicing just fine at raining camp before he started sitting out.
-Chiefs officials told Jeff Chandiha they thought he would be back around the time we played the Jaguars.
-Clark Hunt says as soon as Eric Berry feels ready he’ll be out there.

This isn’t the Chiefs. It’s Eric Berry.
[Reply]
Page 89 of 202
« First < 39798586878889 9091929399139189 > Last »
Up