ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 870 of 3903
« First < 370770820860866867868869870 87187287387488092097013701870 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
cdcox 05:11 PM 03-28-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Ah, I see. But it still had an R0 of 2 to 3.
R0 refers to a person roaming around in the general population with no controls in place. Social distancing is thought to be able to reduce an R0 from 2 to below 1. If you throw an active SARS patient in a quarantine situation with all of the medical personnel in moon suits, R0 goes to zero.
[Reply]
O.city 05:13 PM 03-28-2020
I've read some stuff on this one that R0 might be in the 4 range, which isn't ideal.
[Reply]
Donger 05:13 PM 03-28-2020
Originally Posted by cdcox:
R0 refers to a person roaming around in the general population with no controls in place. Social distancing is thought to be able to reduce an R0 from 2 to below 1. If you throw an active SARS patient in a quarantine situation with all of the medical personnel in moon suits, R0 goes to zero.
I know. Just stunning that it had that R0 figure and a CFR of 10. No thank you.
[Reply]
TLO 05:14 PM 03-28-2020
Cases in Missouri: 838

Total Deaths: 10

Patients tested in Missouri (by all labs): approximately 12,385

This was updated a little bit ago.. Good to see Missouri is rolling out the testing now.
[Reply]
cdcox 05:15 PM 03-28-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Viruses never mutate to more virulent forms. It would be to their detriment.
Minor technical correction. Mutations are random, so of course it could mutate to a more virulent form. But natural selection would not allow it to be as "successful" hence it would not replace a less virulent form as the major population in the wild.
[Reply]
O.city 05:16 PM 03-28-2020
Originally Posted by cdcox:
Minor technical correction. Mutations are random, so of course it could mutate to a more virulent form. But natural selection would not allow it to be as "successful" hence it would not replace a less virulent form as the major population in the wild.
Yeah, that.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 05:16 PM 03-28-2020
Any word on OTW?
[Reply]
dirk digler 05:16 PM 03-28-2020
Took 2 1/2 days to go from 1000 deaths to 2000. We are going to see close to 6 figures deaths or higher if we don’t tighten up our restrictions.
[Reply]
O.city 05:18 PM 03-28-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Took 2 1/2 days to go from 1000 deaths to 2000. We are going to see close to 6 figures deaths or higher if we don’t tighten up our restrictions.
We've been chasing this thing since the beginning. Some places like SF have gotten ahead of it a bit.

The longer you wait, the worse. I don't know why all these other places are reluctant to lock it down. The sooner you lock it down the sooner you can open back up.
[Reply]
Tnerped 05:19 PM 03-28-2020
Originally Posted by philfree:
I've been out of the house about once a day it seems like. I travel in a small area and constantly disinfect and wash my hands and then I do it again. The wife hadn't been out of the house for 3 weeks but today she wanted sushi so we did curb side pickup. It made me nervous but I didn't want to tell her no since she was so excited. Then we've both done lots of online shopping. I try to spray down the boxes with disinfectant and then there's a constant flow of mail. I feel like my every move is a roll of the dice and If the wife gets it I don't think she'll make it.
Wouldn't worry about your mail too much. We're dealing with thousands of packages and letters a day and we're still not sick. I think you'd really only need to worry if you were in an area where there are a lot of sick people already. We keep the office relatively sanitized and all of our employees are practicing social distancing. We had one guy go to Florida and he's now in quarantine in his home for another week.

Luckily only one case in the county I work in and I go straight home after work.
[Reply]
BWillie 05:20 PM 03-28-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
I've been trying to tell ppl the deaths are coming. Simple to see. We were simply lagging behind most of the most infected Euro nations by a couple of weeks because most of our cases are newer.
[Reply]
cdcox 05:21 PM 03-28-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
No. There's no evidence that SARS-CoV-2 is airborne.
I agree that the airborne route is lower risk of exposure, but the risk is greater than zero:

Airborne transmission through small particles (< 5 microns), which may stay airborne for hours and can be transported long distances. These are also generated by coughing and sneezing and talking. Small particles (droplet nuclei or residue) form from droplets which evaporate (usually within milliseconds) and desiccate. The size of a coronavirus particle is 80-160 nanometre2 and it remains active at common indoor conditions up to 3 hours in indoor air and 2-3 days on room surfaces (unless there is specific leaning). Such small virus particles stay airborne and can travel long distances carried by airflows in the rooms or in the extract air ducts of ventilation systems. Airborne transmission has caused infections of SARS-CoV-1 in the past; currently there is no reported evidence yet specifically for Corona disease (COVID-19) infection via this route. There is also no reported data or studies to rule out the possibility of the airborne-particle route. One indication for this: Corona virus SARS-CoV-2 has been isolated from swabs taken from exhaust vents in rooms occupied by infected patients. This mechanism implies that keeping 1-2 m distance from infected persons might not be enough and increasing the ventilation is useful because of removal of more particles.

https://www.rehva.eu/fileadmin/user_...-17_final2.pdf
[Reply]
oaklandhater 05:22 PM 03-28-2020
it took Italy 4 days to go from 1,000 to 2,000 deaths, whereas the U.S. just did it in 3 days.

The coronavirus death toll in the U.S. has surpassed 2,000. More than 120,000 confirmed cases https://t.co/47MXF0XUJ0

— BNO Newsroom (@BNODesk) March 28, 2020

still waiting for that shutdown...
[Reply]
oaklandhater 05:23 PM 03-28-2020
based on the current rate We are now in a trajectory of 3-4K deaths/day by next Saturday.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 05:24 PM 03-28-2020
Originally Posted by KS Smitty:
There is a lot of detailed info in this post, some of which I don't understand since I'm not a medical professional. It's quite long too.

Spoiler!
short answer is that they went into ARDS. ARDS creates a cascading chain of events in the body. All bad. Once you have it, even previously healthy Patients who go into ARDS have a chance of dying.

COPD which is huge underlying condition, to say the least, die “in normal times” at a rate of about 40% when they go into ARDS.

86% of coronavirus patients dying that go into ARDS? I’ve never heard of anything causing that much of a death rate. That’s so much out of whack, this may be anecdotal information and not what coronavirus does to patients who go into ARDS. Why is this virus different and sending so many more patients into ARDS? People die from the flu a lot. They don’t go into ARDS at this rate.

Average patient, in normal times, stays on a vent for 2-5 days. Reports are that coronavirus patients are staying on vents for 21-28 days.
[Reply]
Page 870 of 3903
« First < 370770820860866867868869870 87187287387488092097013701870 > Last »
Up