ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 86 of 240
« First < 36768283848586 8788899096136186 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Andy Reid is a terrible head football coach
rabblerouser 09:43 AM 09-18-2015
Andy Reid got depantsed in the Super Bowl by Bruce Arians.

Bruce Fucking Arians and Tom Fucking Brady.

Well, you see, Andy Reid is an offensive genius, and how dare we question Andy Reid's genius in not running the ball and not utilizing the screen pass in the face of an epically brutal pass rush, a patchwork offensive line and a QB with a hurt toe?

How dare we question his geniusness?

Oh, and Spags? The "great Brady Killer"? They had his defense figured out by the 2nd quarter and he couldn't adjust it. He was Bob Sutton Jr.
[Reply]
ToxSocks 10:29 AM 09-20-2018
Originally Posted by fan4ever:
A lot of truth in what you say...but it doesn't eliminate the fact that game day he's not a genius. If you don't mind an NASCAR analogy, you can build a great car and assemble a great pit crew, but if you're not a great driver, you're not going to succeed when facing other great drivers on race day. Some of us have been waiting our lifetimes to make it to the summit...and it's painful to know while Andy's a great HC, we're afraid he's likely not going to take us there because of his past game day performances...when coaching really matters most. MAYBE Mahomes can change all that.
Bullshit bullshit bullshit. So much bullshit you'd think this was a rodeo.
[Reply]
ToxSocks 10:32 AM 09-20-2018
Originally Posted by Best22:
That's dumb. Any coach can be replaced. Tomlin was a good coach with rings but firing him wasn't necessarily wrong
Tomlin is an emotional HC. Emotional HC's allow for emotional teams. That's why the Steelers have so much drama all the damn time.

Tomlin is not an X's and O's offensive guy.

He's not really a defensive guy either.

He's a rah-rah guy.

And right now that D is struggling and his rah rah is not providing leadership. That locker room is in turmoil.

So if you arent an offensive guy, you arent a defensive guy and your rah rah isn't leading anymore, then wtf are you doing? 'Bout to get fired if he doesnt turn that shit around, that's what.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:33 AM 09-20-2018
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Mike Tomlin a guy who's never had a losing record in 12 years been to 2 super bowls and won 1 is a bad coach. I've seen it all on here.
The thing is, coaching in the NFL is the icing on the cake. It's not that Tomlin is a good coach or a bad coach (I think he's a horrible leader of men myself, he's a crybaby and his team reflects that), it's that not even Tomlin could screw up the amount of talent they had on that team during those years. A HOF QB and a stifling D is going to win a lot of games and few championships regardless of who the coach is.

It's just like the Bob Sutton argument here. The truly elite coaches make good units great but even great coaches can't make bad units good. Likewise, bad coaches can make great units good but they can't make great units bad.

Talent trumps everything else in the NFL, period.
[Reply]
Naptown Chief 10:33 AM 09-20-2018
Originally Posted by fan4ever:
A lot of truth in what you say...but it doesn't eliminate the fact that game day he's not a genius. If you don't mind an NASCAR analogy, you can build a great car and assemble a great pit crew, but if you're not a great driver, you're not going to succeed when facing other great drivers on race day. Some of us have been waiting our lifetimes to make it to the summit...and it's painful to know while Andy's a great HC, we're afraid he's likely not going to take us there because of his past game day performances...when coaching really matters most. MAYBE Mahomes can change all that.
You're an idiot.
[Reply]
Naptown Chief 10:34 AM 09-20-2018
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Tomlin is an emotional HC. Emotional HC's allow for emotional teams. That's why the Steelers have so much drama all the damn time.

He's a rah-rah guy.

And right now that D is struggling and his rah rah is not providing leadership. That locker room is in turmoil.

So if you arent an offensive guy, you arent a defensive guy and your rah rah isn't leading anymore, then wtf are you doing? 'Bout to get fired if he doesnt turn that shit around, that's what.

[Reply]
Chiefnj2 10:34 AM 09-20-2018
Reid = great regular season coach, horrible in the postseason. I don't care what he did in Philly. In KC his playoff losses and collapses are some of the worst in NFL history.
[Reply]
ToxSocks 10:34 AM 09-20-2018
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Mike Tomlin a guy who's never had a losing record in 12 years been to 2 super bowls and won 1 is a bad coach. I've seen it all on here.
He's a rah-rah coach who's always had great coordinators, from Bruce Arians to Todd Haley to Dick LeBeau.
[Reply]
Naptown Chief 10:37 AM 09-20-2018
Originally Posted by Chiefnj2:
Alice= great regular season QB, horrible in the postseason. I don't care what he did in SF. In KC his playoff losses and collapses are some of the worst in NFL history.
fyp
[Reply]
ToxSocks 10:39 AM 09-20-2018
As far as Reid as a gameday coach, he's one of the best.

Deferring at halftime: I watch CP idiots complain about that and quite frankly it's the better option by far. Belichick does it all the time. If executed properly it allows you to create a 14 point swing before the opposing team even has a chance to respond.

His clock management is waaaay overblown. I can see what he's attempting to do at the end of halves most of the time. But everything has to go according to plan, otherwise you're left with too little time. There's been very few instances in which i thought he didn't do a good job with the clock.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 10:39 AM 09-20-2018
Tomlin also inherited a team that won a Super Bowl the season before Cowher retired.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 10:40 AM 09-20-2018
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I just can't agree with this at all.

If you think Reid is some sort of gameday rube, you're just not watching enough football outside of KC. Even the almighty Belichick allows things to get hairy in the 4th and that's with a wizard under center.

Andy has spent his entire career here playing chess every game and trying to create mismatches against teams. And as a general rule, he's succeeded. He's a well above average gameday coach as well but people are looking for someone to blame.
Yikes, I cannot agree with that one bit. From a playcalling standpoint, Andy Reid is brilliant. In terms of coaching and preparing players? Easily one of the best in the game.

In terms of situational playcalling, he is not good. He is so good at playcalling and coaching that it has often overcome this problem especially against bad teams. But it is consistently a reason why his teams fall short. We've seen this same story over and over again, and now again with a different and improved qb.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:40 AM 09-20-2018
Originally Posted by Detoxing:

He's a rah-rah guy.

Yup - there are two schools of coaching and I'd say you put find labels on them. There are emotional coaches and there are tactical coaches.

Marty is arguably the best example of an emotional coach I've ever seen. He had guys win football games because he'd have them ready to eat glass before it started. He built a mindset and a desire to win and then just kicked the door until it broke down.

A guy like Andy is a tactical coach. He's going to work with his players and try to handle their egos, sure - but what he's going to try to do on gamedays isn't kick the door in - it's pick the lock. Bill Belichick is the defensively oriented version of that style of coach. He's the Ying to Tomlin's Yang.

Both have their plusses and minuses and it applies to all sports. You can win either way.

But to my eye, the former has a shorter shelf life. Sooner or later the lockerroom gets tired of the rah rah speeches telling them how they're going to succeed and instead they want a whiteboard showing them why they're going to succeed.

I think Tomlin's a fine coach (in a mold that I don't care for) but at some point, good coaches lose their message. Tom Coughlin is the best example we've seen of that in a long time. Tom needed to go in NYG - he'd run his course there. But that doesn't mean he suddenly became a shitty coach. Nor did it mean that he'd be easy to replace in NY. But a change was needed. It may be needed in Pittsburgh in short order as well.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:41 AM 09-20-2018
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Yikes, I cannot agree with that one bit. From a playcalling standpoint, Andy Reid is brilliant. In terms of coaching and preparing players? Easily one of the best in the game.

In terms of situational playcalling, he is not good. He is so good at playcalling and coaching that it has often overcome this problem especially against bad teams. But it is consistently a reason why his teams fall short. We've seen this same story over and over again, and now again with a different and improved qb.
If you see a problem with his playcalling to this point...well you're just wrong and you're looking for reasons to bitch.
[Reply]
ToxSocks 10:41 AM 09-20-2018
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:

Uh bullshit?

Give me an instance in which his playcalling was poor with Mahomes?
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:42 AM 09-20-2018
Originally Posted by dwwataz:
fyp
It's easy to scapegoat Alex Smith but don't forget, Andy Reid hand-picked him to run the offense. Reid has to share some off the blame on that one.
[Reply]
Page 86 of 240
« First < 36768283848586 8788899096136186 > Last »
Up