ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 86 of 484
« First < 36768283848586 8788899096136186 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*** Official 2017 Royals Repository ***
Chiefspants 10:55 AM 04-05-2017
Chiefsplanet’s (Proposed) 2017 Season Title: One Last Ride

Midish-Season Update (Royals 51-47, 2nd Wild Card, 1.5 GB of ALC):

We're halfway through 2017, and fittingly to the Chiefsplanet's 2017 Season Title, the Royals are all-in on what will likely be one final run with the current core. While many are worried the Royals will take a 2004 style tumble after this year, the farm system is hardly the barren wasteland it was during the Baird years. To see what's in the pipeline and what we have to look forward to, check out this exceptional list and analysis that Duncan put together of our system.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...htmlview#gid=0

While I had the honor of starting this thread this year, Duncan will always have a VIP pass to this OP, and can add more content at any time.

2017's Burning Questions Revisited:

1. What is the threshold between being “buyers” and “sellers” at the deadline?

We're buyers, baby.

In April, I argued that it would be a wise strategy for us to sell if we were 5 GB or worse, but that Dayton would likely add supplemental pieces for us to load up for another run if we were 1-2 GB. On July 24th, the Royals found themselves in sole possession of the 2nd wild card spot and 1.5 games back of the division. In April I said the Royals might pull the trigger on someone like Alex Cobb and resign Luke Hochevar, but since the Rays are also buyers and Luke's shoulder hasn't rebounded, this prediction hasn't come to fruition. Luckily, Dayton Moore again proved much more adept and creative than me by adding Trevor Cahill (good call, Duncan), Brandon Maurer and Ryan Buchter in a single trade. Giving us a solid starter to compete in 2017, and two relievers whom we will control through 2019 and 2021, respectively, keeping Moore's new vision through 2019-2020 intact. Moore has hinted that the Royals will continue to pursue the right deals if they're there, so the fun may not be over just yet. While we may not have the bullets to pull in a "star" like Cueto or Zo, Moore's adeptness may yet again net us what we need for another run in October.

2. Can Gordo and Moose bounce back to 2015 levels?

In April I asked if Gordo could at least set the table at a 265/325/425 clip and if Moose could deliver damage around a 265/335/500 clip for an entire year. This season Mr. Moustakas has been the prospect that was promised, delivering at a 277/307/568 clip as of this update. Gordo, on the other hand, has put up an unbelievably abysmal line thus far. But, if there is a silver lining, it's that Gordo has performed at a 246/311/432 line since June 1st, and if he can continue to perform near that mark, he will be more than a valuable asset at the bottom of the lineup while he continues to provide the best LF defense in the league.

3. Can Ned Yost manage a bullpen?

In April, I felt that despite the poor start, Royals bullpen would ultimately be "solid" this year, but the question was whether "solid" was good enough for Ned. I argued that the Royals needed Soria to bounce back and that Ned would need to start being strategic in his L/L and R/R matchups. While Ned has still made at times baffling and frustrating decisions with his starters (such as allowing Travis Wood to try to "get the win" and still insisting on sending Hammel out for the 6th, he's mostly done a good job).

MASH: Minor/Moylan - Alexander - Soria - Herrera (Credit to C3HIEF3S for the origins of the phrase) have cemented into reliable pieces, and now that Herrera is showing signs of stabilizing, our dumping of Wood, our call up Flynn, and the acquisition of Buchter and Maurer, the Royals have the potential to enter October with one of the best and deepest bullpens in the postseason.

4. Will the Royals find a boost from an unexpected X-Factor to lift them to contention?

Cool-Whit, Boni, Mike ****ing Minor, and Alexander have come up huge thus far. Cool Whit is, incredibly, is second on the team in WAR and has more than replaced Zo's presence on the team. They, like the X-Factors on the 2014-2015 teams, have been critical cogs as we've raced back to contention, while Cool-Whit and Boni also have provided a rosier outlook for this team's future. It's worth noting that Salvador Perez and Jason Vargas has been beasts on offense and the mound (along with Sal providing his customary defensive excellence), but I am still a bit wary of Salvy's annual Yost assisted offensive drought as the team moves into August, along with Vargy regressing to his averages.

5. Can Jorge Soler and Brandon Moss be productive contributors in Kauffman’s dimensions?

Ouch, no, but the Royals shift to power-hitting in the juiced ball era looks like one that will pay off. Thankfully, Moss is showing signs of entering his seasonal hot streak where he becomes corn-fed Jesus for a month, and we'll need him hot to keep up with Cleveland down the stretch. While Jorge has been painful to watch in the majors, his scorching performance in AAA should give one a bright hope for the future. While some may disagree, I offer Moose, Hos, Gordo, and Duffy's struggles as exhibit A for why it is far too early to give up on Soler's potential.

Bonus Question - Is Raul Mondesi truly ready to be an everyday player?

Ha! Not even close. However, like Soler, his progress in AAA is incredibly encouraging. With ceilings like Lindor and floors being Esky being thrown out there, it's hard not to be excited about his future.

The Picture Forward

There are many reasons to be excited, and not only for 2017. The Royals emergence of Cool Whit, Bonifacio, and Scott Alexander, and the fact that we have pieces like Salvador Perez, Danny Duffy, Kelvin Herrera, Jorge Soler, Ryan Buchter, Brandon Maurer Cheslor Cuthbert, and Raul Mondesi until at least 2019 should leave one feeling pretty optimistic. Re-up Moose or Hos (and heck, re-sign Dyson while we're at it), and suddenly this team looks very much like one that could compete for the indefinite future.

The Royals are all in again, buckle in and enjoy the ride.

April OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 02:19 PM 05-23-2017
Originally Posted by BWillie:
My thing is, if we were going to trade guys. Trade EVERYONE. Start over. Don't do a band aid like we did. Or, if you don't trade anyone. GO FOR IT. If it doesn't work out closer to the trade deadline. Then unload.
a complete fire sale won't sell jerseys or tickets...
[Reply]
Dartgod 02:21 PM 05-23-2017
Originally Posted by thurman merman:
I don't know about that. This bullpen has blown a LOT of leads.
The only innings they would be pitching in is the 8th or 9th, so basically Soria or Herrera's role. They have blown 5 saves between them. We are 8 games under .500.

Hell, we have blown 7 saves total.

Do the math.
[Reply]
tk13 02:26 PM 05-23-2017
Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats.:
a complete fire sale won't sell jerseys or tickets...
And a new TV contract is finally coming around the bend. A huge chance for the team to make a lot of money.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 02:27 PM 05-23-2017
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
The only innings they would be pitching in is the 8th or 9th, so basically Soria or Herrera's role. They have blown 5 saves between them. We are 8 games under .500.

Hell, we have blown 7 saves total.

Do the math.
So we are either 23-21 or 25-19 or somewhere around there. Looks pretty good right about now. Especially given some of those games would be against the teams at the top of the division.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 02:31 PM 05-23-2017
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
My whole problem is that it doesn't really look like we needed Soler at all. I know its early, but it isn't like Bonifacio was a nobody or nothing prospect that came out of nowhere. In the context of the team wanting to contend this year, which they did, trading Davis for Soler is proving to be an absolutely terrible move.

If we had Davis it is not impossible that we are sitting around .500 which would be pretty good considering about bad the offense has been. I believe that starting with last season on the signing of Soria, Moore got a little overconfident with himself in thinking that he could build a great bullpen no matter what. He miscalculated how important having absolute elite backend pieces was to the bullpen the last 6 seasons. He gets credit for finding those guys, but there were some duds in the bullpen along the way every season that were covered up by the elite arms that came in when the game was actually on the line. There is nowhere to hide our average at best guys anymore.

We HAD to do the Soler deal. I'd have done that 10x out of 10, and I'm still on record today in full support of it despite Wade's hot start. DM had just seen Holland and Hochevar (and hell, even Soria before that when he was here) go down with serious arm injuries. When Wade started having problems last year, DM had to hit the eject button asap.

Remember too on trades: DM took the best one available. He knew all the options and it's obv Wade wasnt burning up the phone lines for him. Soler is the ultimate DM player - physical tools out the ass, young, controllable.

Finally we absolutely needed an OF! Dyson was going to be dealt, leaving you with 3: Alex, Cain, Orlando. Alex is aging and was (IMO) slated to be moved to 1B after Hoz left. Cain is a FA. Orlando is a AAAA player, no different from David Lough. We needed 1 or maybe 2 OF
[Reply]
Dartgod 02:33 PM 05-23-2017
So we are either 23-21 or 25-19 or somewhere around there. Looks pretty good right about now. Especially given some of those games would be against the teams at the top of the division.
And if we were scoring more than 2 runs a game (rough estimate) for the entire month of April, we'd be in better shape as well. The offense is waaaay more to blame for our situation than the bullpen.

EDIT: I just did the math. We averaged 2.2 runs a game in 16 losses in April
[Reply]
mr. tegu 02:46 PM 05-23-2017
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
And if we were scoring more than 2 runs a game (rough estimate) for the entire month of April, we'd be in better shape as well. The offense is waaaay more to blame for our situation than the bullpen.
True, but with the offense they still have room for improvement and some evidence that they have been improving. The bullpen, I don't see how it gets much better. Sometimes bullpens blow games or sometimes an offense does nothing and thats just baseball. But all too often it seems the bullpen has come in, not necessarily blowing a lead because we are tied or trailing by one, but they end up letting the game get blown wide open to remove any hope of a competitive finish to the game. The bullpen was supposed to be a strength and something we could rely on. Its hard to get too mad at the offense that has never been the main reason for our winning.
[Reply]
Dartgod 02:49 PM 05-23-2017
One could argue that if the offense weren't so anemic early on, the pitching wouldn't have felt as much pressure to be perfect.

But, I'm not going there. I think we both make valid points.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 04:12 PM 05-23-2017
My whole problem is that it doesn't really look like we needed Soler at all. I know its early, but it isn't like Bonifacio was a nobody or nothing prospect that came out of nowhere. In the context of the team wanting to contend this year, which they did, trading Davis for Soler is proving to be an absolutely terrible move.

If we had Davis it is not impossible that we are sitting around .500 which would be pretty good considering about bad the offense has been. I believe that starting with last season on the signing of Soria, Moore got a little overconfident with himself in thinking that he could build a great bullpen no matter what. He miscalculated how important having absolute elite backend pieces was to the bullpen the last 6 seasons. He gets credit for finding those guys, but there were some duds in the bullpen along the way every season that were covered up by the elite arms that came in when the game was actually on the line. There is nowhere to hide our average at best guys anymore.

I see where you are coming from re: trading Davis and just disagree.

1) Soler had MLB experience and has a higher ceiling than Bonifacio. He was by far a more valuable chip.

2) it's incredibly, incredibly early. Bonifacio is barely into his MLB career. We have no idea what he's going to do when pitchers adjust and stop challenging him.

3) both could be quality assets moving forward. Maybe the Cubs look like big winners now, but that could be very different in another month or at the end of the year or in four years. It's a long game view, but that's how trades have to be evaluated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Bowser 04:40 PM 05-23-2017
I just saw we outrighted Al Albuquerque to Omaha after he cleared waivers. Wasn't he lighting it up in Omaha? Or has Al become the stereotypical AAAA guy? Seems like our bullpen wouldn't be hurt by fresh blood.
[Reply]
lewdog 06:22 PM 05-23-2017
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
We HAD to do the Soler deal. I'd have done that 10x out of 10, and I'm still on record today in full support of it despite Wade's hot start. DM had just seen Holland and Hochevar (and hell, even Soria before that when he was here) go down with serious arm injuries. When Wade started having problems last year, DM had to hit the eject button asap.

Remember too on trades: DM took the best one available. He knew all the options and it's obv Wade wasnt burning up the phone lines for him. Soler is the ultimate DM player - physical tools out the ass, young, controllable.

Finally we absolutely needed an OF! Dyson was going to be dealt, leaving you with 3: Alex, Cain, Orlando. Alex is aging and was (IMO) slated to be moved to 1B after Hoz left. Cain is a FA. Orlando is a AAAA player, no different from David Lough. We needed 1 or maybe 2 OF
I agree 100% with this post in it's entirety.

There is no way you don't look to sell a reliever with an injury history, especially when hanging on to one who gets injured leaves you with absolute nothing in return (Holland). Sell as close to the high peak as you can if control years are limited or expiring for small market teams.

If Wade had not gotten injured, we could have likely had more in return. And just because he's had a hot start, doesn't mean something won't happen. A small market team simply cannot take that chance.
[Reply]
PHOG 06:56 PM 05-23-2017
I thought Holland AND Davis were tearing it up. 2/3 of Cyborgs. Injuries or not, what do we have now? :-)
Look, I get what everyone is saying, but if you're going to go for it, go for it.
[Reply]
Dartgod 06:59 PM 05-23-2017
LoCain!!!!
[Reply]
Dartgod 07:06 PM 05-23-2017
BONIBOMB!!!!! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!
[Reply]
tk13 07:07 PM 05-23-2017
Sure the bullpen isn't as good as it used to be... but we were never going to sustain that level of play.

The offense had a historically bad April. As of two weeks ago, they were on pace to set MLB record lows for runs, hits, batting average and OBP. Not just for this team... but in the modern history of baseball. That's terrible.
[Reply]
Page 86 of 484
« First < 36768283848586 8788899096136186 > Last »
Up