ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 849 of 3903
« First < 349749799839845846847848849 85085185285385989994913491849 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Dartgod 10:01 PM 03-27-2020
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
I know several people that don't post on FB but are very active. Check messages, look at pics, check out others statuses.
Yeah, I'm like that. I probably post something 4-5 times a year.
[Reply]
AustinChief 10:02 PM 03-27-2020
Some more possible good news... a number of IL-6 blockers (particularly Actemra) are being tested to help mitigate the cytokine storm issue which is what is causing most (if not all) of the Covid-19 deaths. Unfortunately we won't have solid data until late April but if effective we could seriously dent the mortality rate.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:09 PM 03-27-2020
Dr. Birx: Coronavirus Data Doesn't Match The Doomsday Media Predictions

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi..._analysis.html

Originally Posted by :
DR. DEBORAH BRIX: I'm sure you have seen the recent report out of the U.K. about them adjusting completely their needs. This is really quite important. If you remember, that was the report that says there would be 500,000 deaths in the U.K. and 2.2 million deaths in the United States. They've adjusted that number in the U.K. to 20,000. Half a million to 20,000. We are looking at that in great detail to understand that adjustment.

I'm going to say something that is a little bit complicated but do it in a way we can understand it together. In the model, either you have to have a large group of people who a-asymptomatic, who never presented for any test to have the kind of numbers predicted. To get to 60 million people infected, you have to have a large group of a-symptomatics. We have not seen an attack rate over 1 in 1,000. So either we are measuring the iceberg and underneath it, are a large group of people. So we are working hard to get the antibody test and figure out who these people are and do they exist. Or we have the transmission completely wrong.

So these are the things we are looking at, because the predictions of the model don't match the reality on the ground in China, South Korea or Italy. We are five times the size of Italy. If we were Italy and did all those divisions, Italy should have close to 400,000 deaths. They are not close to achieving that.

Models are models. We are -- there is enough data of the real experience with the coronavirus on the ground to really make these predictions much more sound. So when people start talking about 20% of a population getting infected, it's very scary, but we don't have data that matches that based on our experience.

And the situation about ventilators. We are reassured in meeting with our colleagues in New York that there are still I.C.U. Beds remaining and still significant -- over 1,000 or 2,000 ventilators that have not been utilized.

Please for the reassurance of people around the world, to wake up this morning and look at people talking about creating DNR situations, Do Not Resuscitate situations for patients, there is no situation in the United States right now that warrants that kind of discussion. You can be thinking about it in the hospital. Certainly, hospitals talk about this on a daily basis, but to say that to the American people and make the implication that when they need a hospital bed it's not going to be there or a ventilator, it's not going to be there, we don't have evidence of that.

It's our job collectively to assure the American people, it's our job to make sure that doesn't happen. You can see the cases are concentrated in highly urban areas and there are other parts of the states that have lots of ventilators and other parts of New York state that don't have any infected. We can meet the needs by being responsive.

There is no model right now -- no reality on the ground where we can see that 60% to 70% of Americans are going to get infected in the next eight to 12 weeks. I want to be clear about that. We are adapting to the reality on the ground and looking at the models of how they can inform but learning from South Korea and Italy and from Spain and I know you will look up my numbers.

[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:18 PM 03-27-2020
Gallery of Heroes: Doctors and Nurses After Gruelling Shifts Battling Covid-19

https://twistedsifter.com/2020/03/do...attling-covid/
[Reply]
Monticore 10:24 PM 03-27-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:

Ya that is not normal.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:58 PM 03-27-2020

7:00 pm local time every night. Open the windows or your door and clap or and cheer for the health care workers that putting their lifes on the line to help stop the spread and save fellow citizens life's.
[Reply]
eDave 12:12 AM 03-28-2020

[Reply]
BigRedChief 12:22 AM 03-28-2020
Hearing a lot more of these stories lately. No symptoms to death in a few days. Anecdotal or has it mutated?

My grandmother tested positive for COVID19 on Wednesday and died peacefully tonight in a hospital in Massachusetts. One of her five children got to be with her for a while in the hospital but, ultimately, she died alone. She was one of my favorite ladies. https://t.co/TnQHhDg34M

— Meghin Delaney (@MeghinDelaney) March 28, 2020

I lost my Dad this morning to COVID-19. He was my rock, my best friend, and my hero. He had virtually no symptoms and 48 hours later he was fighting for his life. I’m begging you guys from the bottom of my heart, please stay inside and be safe.

— ChicagoTrader (@ChicagoTraderrr) March 27, 2020

[Reply]
arrowheadnation 12:34 AM 03-28-2020
This appears to be a pretty big deal...

Abbott on Friday announced it received approval for a test that is capable of delivering positive results of the coronavirus in as little as five minutes, and it will begin making those tests available to health care providers next week.

The Food and Drug Administration issued emergency use authorization for the point-of-care test on Friday, the company said in a statement. The test can detect negative results in 13 minutes. The company said it plans to ramp up manufacturing so it can deliver 50,000 tests per day.

“The COVID-19 pandemic will be fought on multiple fronts, and a portable molecular test that offers results in minutes adds to the broad range of diagnostic solutions needed to combat this virus,” Abbott Chief Operating Officer Robert Ford said in a statement.

This is the second Abbott test for the coronavirus to be launched. Between the two, the company expects to produce about 5 million tests per month, the company said in a statement. The Lake Bluff, Illinois, company makes diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and medicines.

A challenge might be that clinicians, due to the personal protective equipment shortage, might not feel safe administering these tests to patients, especially those with respiratory symptoms.

Around the world, there are more than 591,802 cases of the coronavirus with at least 26,996 deaths, according to Johns Hopkins University. In the U.S., there are at least 101,657 cases of the coronavirus with at least 1,581 deaths, according to Johns Hopkins University.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/27/abbo...twitter%7Cmain
[Reply]
AustinChief 01:07 AM 03-28-2020
Originally Posted by arrowheadnation:
This appears to be a pretty big deal...

Abbott on Friday announced it received approval for a test that is capable of delivering positive results of the coronavirus in as little as five minutes, and it will begin making those tests available to health care providers next week.

The Food and Drug Administration issued emergency use authorization for the point-of-care test on Friday, the company said in a statement. The test can detect negative results in 13 minutes. The company said it plans to ramp up manufacturing so it can deliver 50,000 tests per day.

“The COVID-19 pandemic will be fought on multiple fronts, and a portable molecular test that offers results in minutes adds to the broad range of diagnostic solutions needed to combat this virus,” Abbott Chief Operating Officer Robert Ford said in a statement.

This is the second Abbott test for the coronavirus to be launched. Between the two, the company expects to produce about 5 million tests per month, the company said in a statement. The Lake Bluff, Illinois, company makes diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and medicines.

A challenge might be that clinicians, due to the personal protective equipment shortage, might not feel safe administering these tests to patients, especially those with respiratory symptoms.

Around the world, there are more than 591,802 cases of the coronavirus with at least 26,996 deaths, according to Johns Hopkins University. In the U.S., there are at least 101,657 cases of the coronavirus with at least 1,581 deaths, according to Johns Hopkins University.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/27/abbo...twitter%7Cmain
It's a really big deal if we are looking at a prolonged battle... either way though we are still lacking in serology testing. We need to roll out a large scale test for antibodies so we are not completely in the dark as to the current spread of the virus. Right now we are mostly just guessing.
[Reply]
tk13 01:18 AM 03-28-2020
It's going to be interesting to see what experts say when they find out more about this disease. That's a common story above. People have it and are doing just fine and then it attacks and people just completely deteriorate within hours. You read it in China, Italy, Washington state... now you're seeing it across the US. All the doctors who are treating this thing up close are saying that. That's tough.
[Reply]
Bob Dole 01:48 AM 03-28-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
I don't know where "here" is but I don't think you are going to see a repeat of NY anywhere. Even in LA where I know New Orleans is a bit of a hot spot. I have a feeling and it is just a feeling that it will simmer down there before it gets too bad. At least I hope.
I just hope our overlords here are staying on top of the NO situation and we don't get overrun by infected "refugees" like we did after Katrina.
[Reply]
2112 06:37 AM 03-28-2020
So where I’m at they’re rationing bottled water. One case per customer. There was a picture in Pennsylvania of tractor trailers waiting in line to be loaded at the nestle bottling plant. The line was as far as the eye could see. This is disconcerting to me because my tap water should be labeled with a skull and crossbones. I may have to price out filters.
[Reply]
petegz28 06:55 AM 03-28-2020
Hearing a lot more of these stories lately. No symptoms to death in a few days. Anecdotal or has it mutated?

Dude do you just spend all day seeking out sad stories? You need to take a break, bro.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 07:08 AM 03-28-2020
New York may be weeks from peak

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/28/healt...day/index.html
[Reply]
Page 849 of 3903
« First < 349749799839845846847848849 85085185285385989994913491849 > Last »
Up