ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 84 of 103
« First < 34748081828384 8586878894 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>****Official 2018 Missouri Tigers Football Thread****
'Hamas' Jenkins 05:36 PM 07-30-2018
The beginning of the 2018 season is a little under five weeks away. Missouri enters the year projected to finish 4th in the East, and may be a borderline Top 25 team according to some projection systems. After a disappointing recruiting cycle last year, pressure is on Odom to restock the cupboard after the senior years of Lock and Beckner, who will go down as two of the better Tigers in history and likely first round draft picks.

Schedule:

Spoiler!

Recruiting:

Spoiler!

At this point, the class is ranked 68-69 nationally by Rivals and 24/7. Odom is going to have to rely on Pinkel's diamond-in-the-rough approach. It looks like they've pulled back considerably from Georgia, focusing more upon Texas, which is what they should have always done. Unfortunately, they've done horrific in-state, and I think that will likely end up being the nail in Odom's coffin after the 2019 season.

12/19 Update: A strong finish late in the cycle moved the class up significantly. Securing commitments from grad transfer Kelly Bryant and TCU transfer Shawn Robinson has solidified the QB position in the short and intermediate term. A class that was ranked in the 60's at the beginning of the season is now a top 20-30 class factoring in transfers.

Hamas' Crystal Ball: 8-4; 4-4 in the SEC (wins vs. Ark, Tenn, Vandy, Kentucky)
[Reply]
BryanBusby 06:47 PM 12-04-2018
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Not only did you land a stud QB you probably got another HC fired and that scrub will end up on KU's coaching staff. Nice!
It's.....it's a weird feelingfor sure.
[Reply]
jjchieffan 06:54 PM 12-04-2018
That works. Bryant is only going to be here for one year. But he'll keep the team winning and be ready for Cook to take the reins in 2020.
[Reply]
Frazod 06:58 PM 12-04-2018
Well I'll be goddamned. Never thought it would happen. Thrilled I was wrong. :-)
[Reply]
Mosbonian 07:08 PM 12-04-2018
Wow....Bryant with Rountree, Crockett, and Badie as RB's....all the returning Receivers and the grad transfer Nance along with Albert O....this could be a potent offense still.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 07:09 PM 12-04-2018
I said a while back I thought Odom was starting to make the turn and set himself up for success.

Getting Bryant is a key part of that. Gives them some time to get Bazelak ready or find another solution.

But this is quietly a pretty good recruiting class. That part is trending up for Odom. If he can get it consistently into the 20-30 range in recruiting while continuing to find underrated guys and developing well, really in business.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 07:11 PM 12-04-2018
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Brady Cook is the top rated QB in the state next year and has already committed to Missouri.
At first blush Cook doesn't jump out.

But after the Mertz fiasco, they aren't talking chances. If there's a rising 3 star junior their gonna jump all over him in case that senior break out makes them look like dicks again.

Gonna end up with more Powell's than Locks, but they only need every third guy to hit...

It's hard to overstate how poor a job they've done with QBs since Odom was hired. Bryant is a stay of execution but Bazelak had better be a ballplayer...
[Reply]
Mike in SW-MO 07:25 PM 12-04-2018
Well that's encouraging.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 10:35 PM 12-04-2018
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Should it have taken 3 years to finally get a win against a ranked opponent?

No, asking for the occasional quality victory isn't too terribly much. That win was little more than "about !@#$ing time..." and doesn't do much of anything to erase the abortions at SC or against KY.

I'm not even as inclined as most are to give him a pass for UGA. Mizzou had as much talent on the field as Georgia that day and just kept shooting themselves in the foot.

But I tell ya what - if Odom can MAINTAIN the talent at this level, okay. That's a team with an annual 7 win floor with 11 win and conference championship potential. He'll coach them into 2 losses most seasons, but the talent level is there to hang with anyone.

I just don't think he has the recruiting chops to keep this up. It doesn't matter what I think - he's getting extended. At this point the only real question to ask is who turns out to be correct...
he replaced lock and hall in a single day. I know it’s only a year, but those guys could have gone just about anywhere. Odom brought them to Mizzou.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 10:37 PM 12-04-2018
At first blush Cook doesn't jump out.

But after the Mertz fiasco, they aren't talking chances. If there's a rising 3 star junior their gonna jump all over him in case that senior break out makes them look like dicks again.

Gonna end up with more Powell's than Locks, but they only need every third guy to hit...

It's hard to overstate how poor a job they've done with QBs since Odom was hired. Bryant is a stay of execution but Bazelak had better be a ballplayer...
Can you expand more on Mertz? I'm good friends with a coach of his. Basically Wisconsin was the first to identify him and hes a loyal kid. He wasnt going to budge unless Stanford offered.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 10:40 PM 12-04-2018
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
he replaced lock and hall in a single day. I know it’s only a year, but those guys could have gone just about anywhere. Odom brought them to Mizzou.
This will likely get me banned from the thread but here it is... Bryant is a better fit FOR THE COLLEGE GAME. Hell of a get by Odom.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 04:14 AM 12-05-2018
I don't think they really replaced Hall. He's as good of a deep threat as they've ever had.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 06:19 AM 12-05-2018
Yeah, Nance is not a hall replacement. He’s a experienced vet who can fill the role Nate Brown did this year.

They’ll need one of the young guys - Kam Scott, Jaylen Knox - to take a step forward as a playmaker.

Even so they’ll miss Hall. Bryant is not a big downfield thrower, though, from what I can tell.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:02 AM 12-05-2018
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
You're overstating Nance's ability.

If he catches more than 20 passes next year it's a bad sign for the rest of the offense. We have 3 and maybe 4 guys with more raw talent than him already on the roster and a couple of incoming freshman that probable do as well.

He's not even the talent Darius White was and White had a transfer season and 2 full seasons after that to finally get to 30 catches as a SR. Nance had 1 catch in 4 games this year.

Ideally he's 4th on the depth chart; maybe the #2 at the X or something. We don't want him being more than that.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:06 AM 12-05-2018
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Can you expand more on Mertz? I'm good friends with a coach of his. Basically Wisconsin was the first to identify him and hes a loyal kid. He wasnt going to budge unless Stanford offered.
That's basically it.

Looked like a basic 3 star kid but was the best QB in the area. Mizzou ignored him, Wisconsin didn't and as a SR he exploded.

Had mizzou done with him what they're doing with Cook, we'd have arguably the best QB recruit in the nation on campus next year. A Lock level prospect anyway.

Mizzou's staff was lazy and complacent with a local kid and it burned them.
[Reply]
kchero 08:47 AM 12-05-2018
That's basically it.

Looked like a basic 3 star kid but was the best QB in the area. Mizzou ignored him, Wisconsin didn't and as a SR he exploded.

Had mizzou done with him what they're doing with Cook, we'd have arguably the best QB recruit in the nation on campus next year. A Lock level prospect anyway.

Mizzou's staff was lazy and complacent with a local kid and it burned them.
I’ve heard this from some KC area football coaches that currently have legitimate division 1 recruits playing for them. Odom’s team has had little presence in KC.
[Reply]
Page 84 of 103
« First < 34748081828384 8586878894 > Last »
Up