ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 82 of 335
« First < 32727879808182 8384858692132182 > Last »
Media Center>Game of Thrones Thread
BigRedChief 08:29 PM 01-08-2015
Feel free to discuss any future speculation, theories. Anything from the books is fair game to post. Everything that has been broadcast on TV or from HBO. No spoilers needed.

1. If you watched or know the events that will take place in a unaired episode that has not been broadcast on HBO, you must put all the information and comments in a spoiler tag.
  2. Do not post any media of any kind involving actual content from unaired episodes without being in a spoiler. The only exception to the spoiler rule is content publicly posted from HBO and or the GOT actor themselves. Teasers, promos, trailers etc.

Any person unable to follow the spoiler rules will be banned from this thread. 14 days for first offense. Perm banned from the thread for a 2nd offense.

[Reply]
SAUTO 10:33 AM 01-03-2016
He's a fucking asshole that is screwing over the people who don't watch the series
[Reply]
unlurking 10:48 AM 01-03-2016
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Then don't take their money. You already have money. Finish the book and sell it to the highest bidder.

Like the previous poster said, 1 book in 16 years that was divided up into 2 books and rambled on for too long and in too many places. So far, his writing peaked in the first 3 books.
Agreed.

I have no intention to read anymore of his work. I will continue watching the show, but I'm done with the books.
[Reply]
vailpass 10:54 AM 01-03-2016
Originally Posted by unlurking:
Agreed.

I have no intention to read anymore of his work. I will continue watching the show, but I'm done with the books.
Sure you are...
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 11:23 AM 01-03-2016
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Then don't take their money. You already have money. Finish the book and sell it to the highest bidder.

Like the previous poster said, 1 book in 16 years that was divided up into 2 books and rambled on for too long and in too many places. So far, his writing peaked in the first 3 books.
No idea what his contract looks like so I won't comment.

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO:
He's a fucking asshole that is screwing over the people who don't watch the series
He's a human being going on 70. Most people retire by that age. He's clearly been stuck for more than a decade with no idea how to go forward. I've been waiting but there's no reason to think its gonna all snap in place all of a sudden. That doesn't make him an asshole.
[Reply]
unlurking 11:48 AM 01-03-2016
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Sure you are...
:-)

I am for today!
[Reply]
vailpass 11:58 AM 01-03-2016
Originally Posted by unlurking:

I am for today!
[Reply]
Bowser 01:36 PM 01-03-2016
Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage:
No idea what his contract looks like so I won't comment.

He's a human being going on 70. Most people retire by that age. He's clearly been stuck for more than a decade with no idea how to go forward. I've been waiting but there's no reason to think its gonna all snap in place all of a sudden. That doesn't make him an asshole.
I agree he's not an asshole, I just think he's been drawn to the bright lights and big money he has made off of HBO. I think all of it has been a distraction to him, and he working as a consultant on the show has done nothing to help motivate him to get Winds of Winter done, clearly. Victim of his own success, maybe?
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan 10:06 PM 01-03-2016
Originally Posted by vailpass:
That's not how writing works.
I don't claim to know the business in depth or the true difficulty of writing a monster like Winds of Winter. But if I was a writer and knowing the difficulty, I would have been even more pressed to not let the side projects, side writing about the series, aka the money and attention machine that he got caught up in, slow me down. He basically has admitted as much over the past two years.
[Reply]
Hawk 10:15 AM 01-04-2016
Originally Posted by Sorter:
Bro, do you even valonqar bro?

Spoiler!
Here's the real valonqar:

Spoiler!

And I'm not even sure how to address the WoW delivery date. That shit is just too depressing. Still, Summer of 2011 was when ADWD came out, so I think if he goes off his normal 5 year routine, this summer or early fall sometime might be possible. I think expecting him to beat his prior five year time frames was never realistic given how distracted he must be at this point. Not sure I will watch the show until the book comes out and I get to read it. Still, hard to do that when half the fun is the discussions on-line after the shows air. Who am I kidding, I'll watch and just be irritated since I MUCH prefer to read the books first. Oh well.

[Reply]
Amnorix 10:42 AM 01-04-2016
Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan:
Fuck him.

Godspeed to the readers that have been waiting since 1996. I would be pricing a revolver by now if I was them. Perhaps this isn't rational and it's just the nature of the business, but fuck him.

He writes a damn thesis explaining himself, classically not making excuses while making excuses. Almost flippantly throwing in all the extracaricular activities that have distracted him. Like a wedding. A wedding!? That's a weekend out of 6 fucking years!

Maybe I am being unfair. I probably am. But I know this with every fiber of my being...I don't care how unaware I am of the difficulties of being a writer in his unique situation, NEVER under any circumstances would I let down my long-time readers like this. NEVER would outside popularity take my attention over my loyalty to them. I am not talking about me, fuck readers like me. I read all the books in a 2 month stretch, I didn't wait 20 flipping years. To me, all the excuses and realities aside, he failed the people that made his dream come true and made him rich and famous.
I hate George Lucas too, for fucking up Star Wars, which I loved, but ultimately entertainers don't "owe" us anything. Consume their entertainment and give them your money if you want. Don't if you don't want.

You don't "own" them and get to force them to write faster, or whatever. And they don't owe you anything. Be glad the tv show will give us a complete story, whether or not it's the one he would have liked, becaues the chances are small he will complete all the books before he dies.
[Reply]
DrRyan 11:14 AM 01-04-2016
Holy hell I am painfully slogging through AFFC right now. What an incredibly disappointing book after the first three. If I was looking to read hundreds of pages about the intricate details about the clothing people that have nothing to do with a story were wearing I'd track down a J Peterman catalog.

Jamie, Cersei, Brienne and almost all new POV character's chapters have done little to nothing in developing the characters or story lines...
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 11:34 AM 01-04-2016
Originally Posted by Bowser:
I agree he's not an asshole, I just think he's been drawn to the bright lights and big money he has made off of HBO. I think all of it has been a distraction to him, and he working as a consultant on the show has done nothing to help motivate him to get Winds of Winter done, clearly. Victim of his own success, maybe?
The series hurtled past his ability to wrangle it into a cohesive ending. Same thing happened to Robert Jordan on the WOT series. I'll keep reading whatever books GRRM is able to finish, and be glad for the series to have some sort of conclusion to the story arc.
[Reply]
Hawk 01:38 PM 01-04-2016
Originally Posted by DrRyan:
Holy hell I am painfully slogging through AFFC right now. What an incredibly disappointing book after the first three. If I was looking to read hundreds of pages about the intricate details about the clothing people that have nothing to do with a story were wearing I'd track down a J Peterman catalog.

Jamie, Cersei, Brienne and almost all new POV character's chapters have done little to nothing in developing the characters or story lines...
That book suffers most from having no Jon, Tyrion or Dany. In my experience, it works much better if you read it together with ADWD as one big book switching back and forth. Makes it a lot more enjoyable IMO. There are chapter lists for that on-line if you are interested. It's still no Storm of Swords, but few books are.
[Reply]
The Franchise 02:00 PM 01-04-2016
Dany's chapters are pretty fucking boring as well.
[Reply]
keg in kc 02:03 PM 01-04-2016
Martin has always been a notoriously slow author, since long, long before the tv series was in production. That's just how he is.
[Reply]
Page 82 of 335
« First < 32727879808182 8384858692132182 > Last »
Up