ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 82 of 202
« First < 32727879808182 8384858692132182 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Eric Berry has a Haglund’s deformity on his heel
DaFace 01:06 PM 09-29-2018
Yes, it's in the other thread. Bite me.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/...ty-on-his-heel

REPORT: Eric Berry has a Haglund’s deformity on his heel
New information on Berry’s sore heel injury emerged on Saturday.

By Pete Sweeney Sep 29, 2018, 1:15pm CDT

Eric Berry has not practiced or played for the Kansas City Chiefs since August 11 in St. Joseph, Missouri, because of what the team has described as a “sore heel.”

The last we heard from the Chiefs athletic training staff was in early September, when head athletic trainer Rick Burkholder described the injury as “literally day to day.”

More information on Berry’s injury emerged Saturday morning, via NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo:

Mike Garafolo: “My understanding, and I’ve spoken to people familiar with his injury situation. He’s got what’s called a Haglund’s deformity in that Achilles. That’s a bone spur that basically digs into the Achilles. Shaun O’ Hara, our colleague at NFL Network, he had it. I spoke to him this week. He said it is extremely painful. He actually used a more colorful word that I won’t use here. It’s just something that continues to irritate the area. Some guys have been able to play with it—you get a shoe here or there, you can adjust … but that’s what’s going on. It’s going to be a pain management thing. It’s not like this thing will tear the Achilles necessarily. A lot of these cases don’t result in a tear, but that’s why with Berry right now, he has not played, and they’ve been doing OK. That’s going to allow them a little bit more patience with Berry, but it is extremely painful.”

This provides a little more clarity than Berry’s injury simply being a “sore heel,” which is good, but what’s bad is there still seems to be no timetable. Remember, Berry missed nearly the entirety of the 2017 season due to a ruptured Achilles on the other leg.

Chiefs head coach Andy Reid was mum on the injury when asked about it Saturday afternoon after the Chiefs’ final practice of the week.

Berry is officially ruled doubtful heading into the Monday night game against the Denver Broncos.

----

Here are the notes from our in-house medical expert, Aaron Borgmann:

A lot of talk today regarding something known as a Haglund’s deformity. It was reported by a media source that the player in question suffers from this condition. This discussion is not to confirm or deny that possibility, as I can only explain the available information that we have been given. To be clear, the team has not confirmed this diagnosis and I have no advance knowledge of the player’s current condition.

The simple explanation here that it is indeed a bone spur on the backside of someone’s heel. This is frequently known as a “pump bump” from the occurrence that it is often seen in women’s fashion from the shoes that they wear. However, incidence in football players is also common, sometimes referred to as “retrocalcaneal bursitis” as well.

The bone spur irritates the bursa (fluid-filled sac) that sits between the bone and the tendon or even the tendon itself directly. This can cause a great deal of inflammation and discomfort with any sort of dynamic ankle/foot movement, worse with pressure on the spot itself.

Having one in and of itself it not uncommon, but the degree to which it bothers someone is the issue. Depending upon demands of movement, these can range from debilitating to just a nuisance. Obviously, in football players, the degree of inflammation is what dictates the level of function.

These are diagnosed both visually and radiographically and it is a situation where if you see it and player complains of certain symptoms (pain with movement in that exact spot, swelling, redness) then you can be pretty sure that is what it is.

Treatment focuses on reduction of inflammation obviously directly over the spot. This can be done both topically and through systemic medication. Soft tissue lengthening in both the calf and bottom of the foot is also done to alleviate the issue from both sides – this is due to the fact that both the calf and plantar fascia connect to the calcaneus (heel bone) on either side.

Not to be forgotten is footwear modification and adjustment. Very rigid shoes can cause this irritation, and in some athletes, I would even cut the shoe in the heel to allow room for the bump. Other options include specialized padding and friction reduction methods. Heel lifts have been shown to be helpful in some.

For this condition, non-surgical intervention is preferred to reduce the inflammation as opposed to surgical due to the immobilization period.

If the inflammation can be reduced and the function level high, many players learned to adapt their daily routines to accommodate. They may have to put in a bit more time in order to get ready due to the condition’s demands but can nonetheless get by and still perform at a high level.
[Reply]
KCUnited 09:02 AM 10-30-2018
Originally Posted by Nirvana58:
Honestly, that is probably why we saw reports saying they expected him back for Jacksonville. Then Patrick happened and this whole season changed.

HFA will be nice but I would not be surprised for Pat to go into New England and win in December either.
We saw reports because the Chiefs likely cleared him to play. Your entire premise is hindsight. Sure it's worked out well so far, but no team, coach, or owner is intentionally going to hold out their best players if they believe they can play. There are no guaranteed wins in the NFL, even with Mahomes.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:02 AM 10-30-2018
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
We saw reports because the Chiefs likely cleared him to play. Your entire premise is hindsight. Sure it's worked out well so far, but no team, coach, or owner is intentionally going to hold out their best players if they believe they can play. There are no guaranteed wins in the NFL, even with Mahomes.
Exactly.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 09:03 AM 10-30-2018
Originally Posted by Hoover:
At this point, I want Berry to come back for the playoffs. Play through the pain. Win a Super Bowl then retire.
Berry hasn't been a part of the team battling week in and week out this year. Why does he deserve to come in at the end and share in the glory?
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 09:05 AM 10-30-2018
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
Berry hasn't been a part of the team battling week in and week out this year. Why does he deserve to come in at the end and share in the glory?
Because his team-mates want him out there and he'll be an upgrade over what they're fielding.

Sadly, your feelings are not the most important aspect of this decision.
[Reply]
Nirvana58 09:07 AM 10-30-2018
I don't care about glory or hindsight. I want to win a damn Super Bowl in my lifetime. This is the best Chiefs team I have seen. Having Berry back for the playoffs gives us the best chance to win that trophy.

So if him not playing the entire season till playoff time gives us the best chance to have him on the field when it really matters. So be it.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 09:08 AM 10-30-2018
It really sucks seeing the report at 11:50 a.m. every Wednesday that Berry isn't practicing, but it's going to be an even bigger kick in the nuts tomorrow after L.A. and/or New England have made trades to bolster their roster further and we're still waiting on Berry and Houston to get on the field and produce.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 09:11 AM 10-30-2018
I don't care about glory or hindsight. I want to win a damn Super Bowl in my lifetime. This is the best Chiefs team I have seen. Having Berry back for the playoffs gives us the best chance to win that trophy.

So if him not playing the entire season till playoff time gives us the best chance to have him on the field when it really matters. So be it.
Do you really think someone who hasn't played in 2 years is all of a sudden going to come in and dominate?
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:11 AM 10-30-2018

IF him playing gives us the best chance to win.

I'm of the mind that he won't be able to play at a high level so it's all moot anyway.
[Reply]
Marcellus 09:13 AM 10-30-2018
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
You'd literally say anything to defend the Chiefs.

Like the doctor's that have weighed in on this, in both print and on local sports radio, don't know anything either.

:-)
I'm not defending the Chiefs dumbass, I'm making fun of people like you who act like they know shit as a fact when they don't.

The Dr's who have examined Berry and actually KNOW whats going on have weighed in on this? No, its nothing but internet speculation, that's all it is and has ever been.

Idiots like you who are implying Berry is just a pussy are pathetic.

There is nothing in his history to support that argument.
[Reply]
FAX 09:13 AM 10-30-2018
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale:
Because his team-mates want him out there and he'll be an upgrade over what they're fielding.

Sadly, your feelings are not the most important aspect of this decision.
Mr. OKchiefs does have a point, though.

What if Berry holds up the Lombardi Trophy after we win and it's his photo on the Star's front page and on the billboards? It will look like some urban bridge troll stole it and they're asking the public for help to identify the culprit.

On the other hand, EB has given most of the motivational speeches so far this year. We may never know for sure, but a lot of our success could be directly attributed to his language skills.

FAX
[Reply]
FAX 09:14 AM 10-30-2018
Do you really think someone who hasn't played in 2 years is all of a sudden going to come in and dominate?
Eric Reid's game didn't seem to suffer from his vacay.

FAX
[Reply]
KC Dan 09:14 AM 10-30-2018
Originally Posted by FAX:
On the other hand, EB has given most of the motivational speeches so far this year. We may never know for sure, but a lot of our success could be directly attributed to his language skills.

FAX
Ok, in that case, he should be receiving cheerleader pay...
[Reply]
Marcellus 09:15 AM 10-30-2018
It really sucks seeing the report at 11:50 a.m. every Wednesday that Berry isn't practicing, but it's going to be an even bigger kick in the nuts tomorrow after L.A. and/or New England have made trades to bolster their roster further and we're still waiting on Berry and Houston to get on the field and produce.
You have already made up your mind on all of this a long time ago so it makes no sense you are upset about it. I have no idea why you even watch the games at this point.

You and Tuckdaddy should get together and have a nice pitty party and burn a Berry jersey and get it out of your system.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:15 AM 10-30-2018
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
I'm not defending the Chiefs dumbass, I'm making fun of people like you who act like they know shit as a fact when they don't.

The Dr's who have examined Berry and actually KNOW whats going on have weighed in on this? No, its nothing but internet speculation, that's all it is and has ever been.

Idiots like you who are implying Berry is just a pussy are pathetic.

There is nothing in his history to support that argument.
Posted 12 hours ago:

Originally Posted by htismaqe:
It's not a degenerative condition. It's not even the Achilles anyway. He has a bone spur on his heel.

It really isn't that hard to understand. The team thought he'd be ready to go, Eric Berry doesn't feel the same.

It is what it is. He isn't a pussy, they aren't to blame. It's an unfortunate set of circumstances but that's all it is - circumstantial.
:-)
[Reply]
Nirvana58 09:15 AM 10-30-2018
Maybe. The guy came back from Cancer and dominated. Eric Reid and Josh Gordon both came back from not playing for almost as long and both are playing at high levels. (Granted neither of those were because of injuries)

If one guy could come back after all this and dominate it would be Berry. However, Berry at 70% is still better than trotting Parker out on that field. So it really isn't that much of a stretch of him being able to improve our defense.
[Reply]
Page 82 of 202
« First < 32727879808182 8384858692132182 > Last »
Up