ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 26
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>RIP Prince
vailpass 01:42 PM 04-21-2016
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
5 #1 hits, 40 top-100 hits. Total and complete musical virtuoso. Michael Jackson may be the king of pop but he didn't play one instrument. Prince played 27.
27? What are those 27 instruments?
[Reply]
DaFace 04:20 PM 04-21-2016
Originally Posted by vailpass:
27? What are those 27 instruments?
A quick google says that he was basically the only musician on most of his albums, and the 27 number comes from the liner notes of "For You" which featured 27 instruments at some point on the album.

The small caveat is that the instruments were all strings, percussion, and keyboards, so it's really four core skillsets (including singing) and a huge number of variations.

Don't get me wrong - playing the guitar and playing the bass are very different, as are playing piano and playing the organ. And even then, there are very few people in the world who can play even the basic versions of all of those as well as he could.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:28 PM 04-21-2016
Originally Posted by DaFace:
A quick google says that he was basically the only musician on most of his albums, and the 27 number comes from the liner notes of "For You" which featured 27 instruments at some point on the album.

The small caveat is that the instruments were all strings, percussion, and keyboards, so it's really four core skillsets (including singing) and a huge number of variations.

Don't get me wrong - playing the guitar and playing the bass are very different, as are playing piano and playing the organ. And even then, there are very few people in the world who can play even the basic versions of all of those as well as he could.
While Prince was an excellent musician, his true gift was as a songwriter and producer.

He wrote hit songs for so many artists and was the consummate professional.
[Reply]
vailpass 04:47 PM 04-21-2016
Originally Posted by DaFace:

I saw him live only once, when he was the symbol. Dude played a lot of different instruments, don't know how many but he jammed. 27 just sounds like a lot but yeah, they are probably variants on the same thing in some cases...
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:53 PM 04-21-2016
Originally Posted by vailpass:
I saw him live only once, when he was the symbol. Dude played a lot of different instruments, don't know how many but he jammed. 27 just sounds like a lot but yeah, they are probably variants on the same thing in some cases...
If you can play piano proficiently, picking up and playing other instruments become infinitely more easy.

Film composer Brian Tyler (who's one of my favorite composers working today) plays more than 31 instruments.

">
[Reply]
Easy 6 01:04 PM 04-21-2016
Chris Rock interviewing Prince on the supposed Michael Jackson feud, pretty funny... "yo butt is mine"

:-)

[Reply]
eDave 01:10 PM 04-21-2016
Great cover:

[Reply]
KevB 01:20 PM 04-21-2016
Shuffling Prince now on Google Music --- dude was one of a kind. A shooting star with so many gifts.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:24 PM 04-21-2016
Originally Posted by KevB:
Shuffling Prince now on Google Music --- dude was one of a kind. A shooting star with so many gifts.
I got grounded in high school because my mom got in my car to move it and 'pussy control' came blaring on when she started it.

"You know, women don't like it when you talk to them like that...."

No shit, ma. Thanks.

And for a guy that seems to have carefully cultivated one of the oddest persona's in entertainment history, he comes across as incredibly normal and down to earth in some of his more candid interviews.

I think he's one of those guys that is just so preternaturally gifted that he just kinda starts trolling life here and there.
[Reply]
KevB 01:34 PM 04-21-2016
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
And for a guy that seems to have carefully cultivated one of the oddest persona's in entertainment history, he comes across as incredibly normal and down to earth in some of his more candid interviews.

I think he's one of those guys that is just so preternaturally gifted that he just kinda starts trolling life here and there.
People with that level of talent live fundamentally different lives, in different worlds than the rest of us. You have to create a bubble for yourself, so it's easy to become wildly eccentric. The fact that he was wildly eccentric yet still somewhat down to earth is a part of what makes him so interesting I suppose.
[Reply]
Easy 6 01:38 PM 04-21-2016
Originally Posted by KevB:
People with that level of talent live fundamentally different lives, in different worlds than the rest of us. You have to create a bubble for yourself, so it's easy to become wildly eccentric. The fact that he was wildly eccentric yet still somewhat down to earth is a part of what makes him so interesting I suppose.
Fox has been interviewing a lot of people who got to hang with him regularly at the compound in Chanhassen and half of them, including the official compound dj are completely average looking 40-60 year white people... they look like housewives and plumbers

I think he was a lot more down to earth than the public persona lets on
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:42 PM 04-21-2016
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Fox has been interviewing a lot of people who got to hang with him regularly at the compound in Chanhassen and half of them, including the official compound dj are completely average looking 40-60 year white people... they look like housewives and plumbers

I think he was a lot more down to earth than the public persona lets on
Exactly.

I don't even think the dude was eccentric; I think he just got bored and was the world's first apex troll.
[Reply]
Toby Waller 01:24 PM 04-21-2016
He was the one guy able to keep all his stuff off Youtube and the internet
[Reply]
MTG#10 01:26 PM 04-21-2016
Originally Posted by Toby Waller:
All my Prince albums are pirated.
[Reply]
Easy 6 02:04 PM 04-21-2016
Originally Posted by Toby Waller:
Found this out the hard way a couple hours ago, couldnt find "1999 full album" anywhere
[Reply]
Page 8 of 26
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Up