ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 15
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Media Center>Star Wars: The Acolyte
BigRedChief 06:39 PM 03-19-2024

En el set de Stars Wars The Acolyte 😎
On the set of Star Wars The Acolyte 😘#StarWars #StarWarsTheAcolyte #Disney #DisneyPlus #Teaser #Acolyte #Premier #TV #Jedi #Lucasfilms #Luke #Skywalker #TheForce pic.twitter.com/Wq9p9LRK7t

— Alita Betancurt 💕✨ (@alitabetancurt) March 20, 2024

[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:22 AM 06-18-2024
Online discourse about Star Wars...

as fun and terrible as ... well, it has always been.

I think some of you need to ask yourselves if you are watching for things to be triggered by first, or if you are watching for entertainment first.

Complaints about being "hammered in the face" by LGBTQ stuff in this one seem over-the-top to this viewer.

What are you being hammered in the face by? The fact the Zabrak woman and the human woman have a few brief caring embraces? Please cite.

I can think of two moments where they embraced in a way that made it clear they were more than just co-leaders of this coven of Force witches.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 11:24 AM 06-18-2024
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:

I think some of you need to ask yourselves if you are watching for things to be triggered by first, or if you are watching for entertainment first.

Complaints about being "hammered in the face" by LGBTQ stuff in this one seem over-the-top to this viewer.

What are you being hammered in the face by? The fact the Zabrak woman and the human woman have a few brief caring embraces? Please cite.

I can think of two moments where they embraced in a way that made it clear they were more than just co-leaders of this coven of Force witches.
Yeah its more the destroying of the entire cannon and overt "We were cast out because of men" type shit......

Dont defend this garbage. For fuck sakes it was developed by a garbage human being to boot. Ofc its trash...... Again DO NOT DEFEND
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 11:36 AM 06-18-2024
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
You're still confident that he's not a (potentially significant) part of the problem?

I'm not...
Svidently, Filoni is part of the problem being one of Kennedy's sycophants.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 12:00 PM 06-18-2024
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
Yeah its more the destroying of the entire cannon and overt "We were cast out because of men" type shit......

Dont defend this garbage. For fuck sakes it was developed by a garbage human being to boot. Ofc its trash...... Again DO NOT DEFEND

Did they say or intimate they were cast out because of men, or because they were “weird” users of the Force?

I gleaned the latter from it but wasn’t enraptured and at the edge of my seat watching or anything, so maybe I missed something.

I do find the primary master to be an interesting take on a Jedi. Somewhat Qui Gon Jinn-like in having friction with the counsel and trying to follow the Living Force, seemingly.

There’s Star Wars stuff I’ll defend from just about any critique (Clone Wars outside the movie, Rebels, Andor, Rogue One, Obi-Wan, OT, any EU works by Matthew Stover, Mandalorian, Ahsoka) and then there’s the rest.

And I have a looser care about the canon. I was very invested in the pre-Disney canon (literally. Basically all the EU books, hundreds of comic books).

Then they re-wrote a lot of it. I can either be bitter and not enjoy new stuff or get over it and try to find things in the new stuff to enjoy. I choose the latter.
[Reply]
Frazod 12:08 PM 06-18-2024
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
Svidently, Filoni is part of the problem being one of Kennedy's sycophants.
I don't think anybody who isn't would last long at LucasFilm. Of course, it's been that way even when Darth Lucas ran the show. I remember Plinkett's review of Phantom Menace showed producer Rick McCallum watching film footage with a look of abject horror on his face. He knew it sucked. But he also knew that if he told George that it sucked, he'd be instantly out of a job.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 12:30 PM 06-18-2024
Stop defending this garbage.

Calling out the ridiculousness of an obese Jedi isn't body shaming.

Porkins being overweight made sense, as he was a pilot and could still achieve the skills needed.

An obese Jedi makes no sense whatsoever. Just another diversity box ticked at the expense of logic.#TheAcolyte pic.twitter.com/Bwh2Bbg1ot

— Lucas Star Wars Girl (@LucasSWGirl) June 18, 2024

[Reply]
staylor26 12:40 PM 06-18-2024

Maybe the LGBTQ+ stuff isn't being "hammered in the face", but the force is female stuff surely is.

Two lesbian witches use the force to give birth to two very important female twins. All of this with coming from an obviously feminist lesbian showrunner?

There's really no point in arguing with people who can't see the obvious.
[Reply]
staylor26 12:43 PM 06-18-2024
Did they say or intimate they were cast out because of men, or because they were “weird” users of the Force?

I gleaned the latter from it but wasn’t enraptured and at the edge of my seat watching or anything, so maybe I missed something.

I do find the primary master to be an interesting take on a Jedi. Somewhat Qui Gon Jinn-like in having friction with the counsel and trying to follow the Living Force, seemingly.

There’s Star Wars stuff I’ll defend from just about any critique (Clone Wars outside the movie, Rebels, Andor, Rogue One, Obi-Wan, OT, any EU works by Matthew Stover, Mandalorian, Ahsoka) and then there’s the rest.

And I have a looser care about the canon. I was very invested in the pre-Disney canon (literally. Basically all the EU books, hundreds of comic books).

Then they re-wrote a lot of it. I can either be bitter and not enjoy new stuff or get over it and try to find things in the new stuff to enjoy. I choose the latter.
Translation:

"I'll eat whatever shit they put on my plate and call Star Wars!"
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:01 PM 06-18-2024

I mean - when someone tries to tell you what they're doing, you should probably listen.

The creators of the series have flat out said that their goal is to focus on increased representation and didn't a few of the actresses say stuff even more overtly antagonistic than that?

You want to give a more mundane meaning to their story choices but THEY don't. They flat out say that they intended them exactly as heavy handed as the most critical reviews have claimed.

That said - maybe I'm completely wrong because I'm not going to watch these. I'm not going to reward Disney for choosing leadership that actively antagonizes its fanbase. And that blames the fanbase being critical on them being misogynistic bigots rather than their incredibly erratic product (because take the messaging out if you want, it's undeniable that the simple quality of these shows is all over the map).

They operate as though they don't want me as part of the audience - and so I shall oblige them.
[Reply]
staylor26 01:03 PM 06-18-2024
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I mean - when someone tries to tell you what they're doing, you should probably listen.

The creators of the series have flat out said that their goal is to focus on increased representation and didn't a few of the actresses say stuff even more overtly antagonistic than that?

You want to give a more mundane meaning to their story choices but THEY don't. They flat out say that they intended them exactly as heavy handed as the most critical reviews have claimed.

That said - maybe I'm completely wrong because I'm not going to watch these. I'm not going to reward Disney for choosing leadership that actively antagonizes its fanbase. And that blames the fanbase being critical on them being misogynistic bigots rather than their incredibly erratic product (because take the messaging out if you want, it's undeniable that the simple quality of these shows is all over the map).

They operate as though they don't want me as part of the audience - and so I shall oblige them.
Great point. Between this show and the Boys, you have the showrunners flat out acknowledging that they have an agenda, and people will STILL pretend they don't.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 01:10 PM 06-18-2024
Eh. The problem is still the quality being absolutely shite. The Boys is a pretty decent example of it. The creators aren't even subtle about how hostile they are towards certain folks and even make their disdain focal points of the show, and yet it still enjoys mainstream success. I wouldn't give that much of a shit about Star Wars being a vehicle if it wasn't also such a boring and lifeless IP nowadays.
[Reply]
staylor26 01:12 PM 06-18-2024
Originally Posted by Sassy Squatch:
Eh. The problem is still the quality being absolutely shite. The Boys is a pretty decent example of it. The creators aren't even subtle about how hostile they are towards certain folks and even make their disdain focal points of the show, and yet it still enjoys mainstream success. I wouldn't give that much of a shit about Star Wars being a vehicle if it wasn't also such a boring and lifeless IP nowadays.
Absolutely. People are more willing to ignore that stuff if you tell a good story with quality acting and production.

But when it's clear that stuff is all you had to offer, and why you got the job in the first place, it's absolutely fair to criticize all of it.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 01:14 PM 06-18-2024
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Absolutely. People are more willing to ignore that stuff if you tell a good story with quality acting and production.

But when it's clear that stuff is all you had to offer, and why you got the job in the first place, it's absolutely fair to criticize all of it.
It's not even worth criticizing at this point. Let it and the IP die to fan apathy. They've earned it.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 01:25 PM 06-18-2024
Also why I don't really understand the push back Filoni gets in the thread. At the very least, he's actually got a proven track record of producing Star Wars content that's watchable and entertaining, even if he doesn't bat a thousand. Kathleen Kennedy has done nothing but torture murder beloved series.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 01:35 PM 06-18-2024
Imagine going back in time 20 years after Attack of the Clones and telling people Disney acquired Star Wars and butchered it so badly that Hayden Christensen reprising his role as Anakin/Vader is one of the few things anyone gets excited about anymore.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 15
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Up